Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I dumped the Pacifica... for another Pacifica...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 07:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I know Sedona is going to be too late for consideration this round. But wanted to share two new interior shots

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCj7ulfByFe/

Oh man, I think back to road tripping in our minivans as a kid 20 years ago and that recliner would have been sooooo nice.

Kids today don't know how good they have it.
Old 07-12-20, 07:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why can't she take it to the shop?
She won’t. She will drive it until it leaves her stranded. She would never wash or maintain a car left to her own devices. Before she knew me her dad took care of her car, she wouldn’t even begin to know how to get an oil change.

I could just say “drive it broken then” but obviously I want my wife and kids in a well maintained and safe car.
Old 07-12-20, 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
She won’t. She will drive it until it leaves her stranded.
well that's what roadside assistance is for?

if the things that you notice needing to go to the shop for don't bother her, why is it an issue? I know you said you have to drive it also though.
Old 07-12-20, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Because they aren’t safe. It’s not safe to drive a car with creaking suspension and grinding brakes, binding sliding doors that have fallen off of people’s vans. And like you said, if anything I drive it more than she does.

Its also not that they don’t bother her, she complains about them to me, she just would never deal with it.
Old 07-13-20, 05:48 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Oh man, I think back to road tripping in our minivans as a kid 20 years ago and that recliner would have been sooooo nice.

Kids today don't know how good they have it.
We had it pretty good in our Chevy conversion van in the mid-80s. Giant sofa bed in the back row was usually laid down, and we'd be tumbling all over the place. in the mid 90's my good friend's parents got a conversion Suburban, and it had the probably like 10" TV + VCR in the center console, and we thought THAT was living.
Old 07-13-20, 05:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Because they aren’t safe. It’s not safe to drive a car with creaking suspension and grinding brakes, binding sliding doors that have fallen off of people’s vans. And like you said, if anything I drive it more than she does.

Its also not that they don’t bother her, she complains about them to me, she just would never deal with it.
Understand this 200%.

And I think it would be terrible to have my wife and child potentially on the side of the road, roadside assistance or not. Especially right now when it's super hot and humid and the car is going to heat up instantly.
Old 07-13-20, 06:11 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Surround view cameras can easily turn into a MUST HAVE, especially for a large sized 3 row. I'd cut the vehicle shopping list to only cars that have that option. If the wife really does us this tech, don't regret it by moving away from it and feel 'stuck' in the lease and hate it every month way too early.

I was going to suggest the PILOT (which has 3 rows) but don't think the latest model has surround view. It may have proximity sensors. That's not the same thing. You dont need proximity sensors to fit perfectly in between two cars. Surround view cameras are a godsend for the daily task of parking at least 2x a day.
Old 07-13-20, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Surround view cameras can easily turn into a MUST HAVE, especially for a large sized 3 row. I'd cut the vehicle shopping list to only cars that have that option. If the wife really does us this tech, don't regret it by moving away from it and feel 'stuck' in the lease and hate it every month way too early.

I was going to suggest the PILOT (which has 3 rows) but don't think the latest model has surround view. It may have proximity sensors. That's not the same thing. You dont need proximity sensors to fit perfectly in between two cars. Surround view cameras are a godsend for the daily task of parking at least 2x a day.
Pilot doesnt have the surround view, and doesnt have sliding doors.

I 100% agree with this, the issue is the only minivan that has this tech in a package that works well for us is the Pacifica. We could get another Sedona (the outgoing one) or an outgoing Sienna, but the seating setups in those vehicles don't work, its too hard to access the third row with the lounge chairs. The challenge is her desire to have a minivan that has that feature when the only one that exists we already have and has been a reliability nightmare.

So the solution would be to go to a crossover where that feature is much more common and there are lots of options, but she doesn't want to do that. So, we're kinda stuck. She's not willing to compromise between sliding doors and a surround view camera, and I think justifiably I don't want to take the risk with another Pacifica...I don't want an Odyssey either, but I would get an Odyssey over another Pacifica. She's put herself in a position where the ONLY vehicle that works for her that is available is the Pacifica.

Originally Posted by pbm317
And I think it would be terrible to have my wife and child potentially on the side of the road, roadside assistance or not. Especially right now when it's super hot and humid and the car is going to heat up instantly.
Exactly, and we take the vehicle on long road trips...I don't want our trips to be interrupted either.

I have no problem maintaining the vehicle, getting it washed, servicing it, its the having to put it in the shop for several days EVERY MONTH I don't want to deal with anymore. Driving it through the car wash and through a JiffyLube is a different story. I want them and all of us to have a safe, reliable family vehicle.

Huge bummer that Honda doesn't seem to think this feature is important in a vehicle like a minivan. I was really surprised when the refresh didn't have it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-13-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-13-20, 08:18 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

You might be in luck in finding a Lexus RX cross over with surround view. Alternatives include Volvo XC60 or XC90, or top trim for Mazda CX5 CX7 or CX9.

Surround view is really a cool feature. We did go through two Odyssey's and a Venture (long long time ago) and graduated to SUV and have not missed sliding doors one bit.
Old 07-13-20, 08:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If I needed a minivan, the Odyssey would be the one. Powertrain is tried and true, and the interior materials were very impressive in a 2019 model I spent some time in. The Shop-Vac is kinda cool too
Old 07-13-20, 08:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

You might be in luck in finding a Lexus RX cross over with surround view. Alternatives include Volvo XC60 or XC90, or top trim for Mazda CX5 CX7 or CX9.

Surround view is really a cool feature. We did go through two Odyssey's and a Venture (long long time ago) and graduated to SUV and have not missed sliding doors one bit.
Wasn't the CX-7 dropped many years ago?
Old 07-13-20, 08:27 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDR76
Wasn't the CX-7 dropped many years ago?
You may be right on that point on CX7. Either go compact with CX5 or go big in CX9.
Old 07-13-20, 08:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You may be right on that point on CX7. Either go compact with CX5 or go big in CX9.
haha, cx5? Waaaaay too small.
Old 07-13-20, 08:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

How about a subaru ascent?
Old 07-13-20, 08:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
How about a subaru ascent?
No surround view on Subaru either. They give a front cam, and a rear cam, but doesn't help with parking alignment/placement.

Although Subaru does offer the digital camera mirror which is nice in long vehicles.

Quick Reply: I dumped the Pacifica... for another Pacifica...