Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I dumped the Pacifica... for another Pacifica...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 09:13 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Wife and I have discussed this in length in replacing her 3rd row SUV when the time comes...

Minivan - Odyssey, though she "likes it and doesn't love it"; if purchasing check out the Odyforum where people share prices paid (Elite ~$40k)

SUV's
Atlas - she drove it and roomy 3rd row, but didn't like it, Car & Driver also had issues with their long-term unit while MotorTrend wasn't impressed. Given reliability is a sore point, maybe not an Atlas?
Subaru Ascent - Great looking car, but "cheap-feeling" and lots of owners had issues with the CVT (including several tranny replacements)
Traverse - Happy with 3rd row leg room and cargo room, but I rented one and my lower back hurt after a 4 hour drive. Again, reliability issues seem to pop up
Expedition - Super impressed with this iteration from Ford, with incentives you could get a XLT with 360 camera and adaptive cruise in the low $50s (this was when I was shopping for 19 model year)
Telluride/Palisade - I honestly think this is the way to go

IF you can wait till Nov, the refresh Odyssey + redesigned Sienna will be out but I'm sure you've taken that into account =)
Old 07-13-20, 10:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
You might be in luck in finding a Lexus RX cross over with surround view. Alternatives include Volvo XC60 or XC90, or top trim for Mazda CX5 CX7 or CX9.

Surround view is really a cool feature. We did go through two Odyssey's and a Venture (long long time ago) and graduated to SUV and have not missed sliding doors one bit.
You may want to read this thread. Those choices have either (1) been rejected by OP, (2) don't at all meet OP's requirements, or (3) were discontinued 8 years ago.
Old 07-13-20, 10:45 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Wife and I have discussed this in length in replacing her 3rd row SUV when the time comes...

Minivan - Odyssey, though she "likes it and doesn't love it"; if purchasing check out the Odyforum where people share prices paid (Elite ~$40k)

SUV's
Atlas - she drove it and roomy 3rd row, but didn't like it, Car & Driver also had issues with their long-term unit while MotorTrend wasn't impressed. Given reliability is a sore point, maybe not an Atlas?
Subaru Ascent - Great looking car, but "cheap-feeling" and lots of owners had issues with the CVT (including several tranny replacements)
Traverse - Happy with 3rd row leg room and cargo room, but I rented one and my lower back hurt after a 4 hour drive. Again, reliability issues seem to pop up
Expedition - Super impressed with this iteration from Ford, with incentives you could get a XLT with 360 camera and adaptive cruise in the low $50s (this was when I was shopping for 19 model year)
Telluride/Palisade - I honestly think this is the way to go

IF you can wait till Nov, the refresh Odyssey + redesigned Sienna will be out but I'm sure you've taken that into account =)
Totally agree on Telluride/Pallisade - with Pallisade being the winner in my book. I think it's a great size to make for a nice transition from the Pacifica while offering a host of technology features and luxurious appointments inside. With you throwing the Expedition in the mix, I was thinking maybe the QX80 but wasn't sure if they'd consider that given how large those are (like an Expedition). I recently had a brand new (literally) Armada as a rental and racked up 500 miles in that. It has the 360 cam, etc. and a ton of room for the kids. That would be a pretty hefty transition from the Pacifica though as it pertains to size, driveability, and gas mileage.
Old 07-13-20, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Yeah the Palisade would be my choice...
Old 07-13-20, 10:50 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

As hard as it is for a "car guy" to accept, if I have learned one thing over the years it's absolutely this - if the car is for your wife, and if your wife has expressed a preference, then you get the car your wife says she would prefer - not the one we might think she should get. It's that simple. I'd roll the dice and get another Pacifica if that's what she likes. Chances are it will be less troublesome than the one she has now. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 07-13-20, 10:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Given your preferences and requirements, I would also go with the Palisade. The doors will be a compromise for your wife, but it seems to fit the bill otherwise.
Old 07-13-20, 11:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
As hard as it is for a "car guy" to accept, if I have learned one thing over the years it's absolutely this - if the car is for your wife, and if your wife has expressed a preference, then you get the car your wife says she would prefer - not the one we might think she should get. It's that simple. I'd roll the dice and get another Pacifica if that's what she likes. Chances are it will be less troublesome than the one she has now. Good luck, and keep us posted!
I have no problem getting another van if thats what she really wants, but I'm not getting another Pacifica or another FCA product
Old 07-13-20, 12:14 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have no problem getting another van if thats what she really wants, but I'm not getting another Pacifica or another FCA product
i just purchased an FCA product and i'm regretting it.
Old 07-13-20, 12:16 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

But Steve, did you check out how awesome Dodge is!!!!
JD Edwards Initial Quality award winner!!!

lol just kidding...I had a serious look at the Chrysler 300 2-3 years ago, glad I didn't...
Old 07-13-20, 12:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i just purchased an FCA product and i'm regretting it.
but yours is 99% miata.
Old 07-13-20, 12:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

ok, so i think you've narrowed it to odyssey or palisade.
Old 07-13-20, 12:55 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but yours is 99% miata.
yes, except for the engine!

sorry, don't mean to stray off-topic.

but yes, steve, i do agree that you shouldn't buy another FCA product.
Old 07-13-20, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok, so i think you've narrowed it to odyssey or palisade.

Might as well include the Telluride if one is going to mention the Palisade...unless one just prefers the looks of the Palisade, or it is more practical for another reason.
Old 07-13-20, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I prefer the Palisade, and stock is much better on the Palisade...
Old 07-13-20, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default For SW17LS

2021 Hyundai Palisade adds a snazzy new Calligraphy trim atop the lineup

Source

---

Kia Sedona shows off new 'comfortable and futuristic' interior

Source

Quick Reply: I dumped the Pacifica... for another Pacifica...