Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I dumped the Pacifica... for another Pacifica...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 04:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts
Talking I dumped the Pacifica... for another Pacifica...

So, got back from the beach today, of course we took the Pacifica. As I have mentioned before, we've had a lot of problems with the Pacifica. Lots of electrical problems, nav screen has been replaced 3 times and still freezes up, they had to replace the passenger front strut, paint peeling from the hood, had to repaint the hood, sliding doors binding and then stopped working, power third row stopped working, the list just goes on and on. At 29,000 miles its been off the road in the shop for like 5 weeks in its 2.5 years with us. So, while we were at the beach its developed more problems. Now the driver side suspension is crunching and creaking, likely needs the same repair they did to the passenger side, the nav system is freezing all the time again, the windshield washers are only working sporadically, it sounds like a wheel bearing is bad, and the paint on the hood is peeling again. All of this crept up within the last 6 days.

Lease is up in November, I think I'm going to try and dump it. I'm just tired of f'ing with it. Its a shame because its a great van, and if we get another minivan it will definitely lack features and conveniences that the Pacifica has...but I can't bring myself to try another one.

So, my wife is absolutely dead set on another minivan, I'm going to present her with a few SUV options...but I don't know how much success I will have. This is what I'm thinking:

Minivan:

1. Honda Odyssey. Really this is the only option, can't do another Pacifica and the refresh Pacifica isn't out. Refresh Odyssey isn't out either, but thats just cosmetic. Lacks surround view camera and adaptive cruise to 0, but the refresh doesnt add those either. New Sienna isn't here yet, nor is the new Sedona. Don't want the old Sienna or Sedona.

SUV:

1. Hyundai Palisade Limited. This is my #1 choice, but she's going to say its too small and she wants the sliding doors. I'm going to bring one home for her to play around with, so we'll see.
2. VW Atlas SEL
3. Kia Telluride
4. Chevrolet Traverse High Country.
5. Ford Expedition. This is an outlier, and WAY more money than I want to spend. But, it certainly would solve my wife's size concerns, and she might like it. I like the idea of it being big and beefy and able to haul us and family and all our stuff without feeling overloaded (which the Pacifica does at times)

Any thoughts?

Old 07-10-20, 04:49 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like you're going to be getting an Odyssey.
Old 07-10-20, 04:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Good luck!
Old 07-10-20, 05:00 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

We have bought 3 Odysseys new, so I have been a fan of them. However, the current fifth generation seems to have more than its share of problems (although the 2020s are better than the 2018s or 2019s as all now have a 10 speed transmission) - see Odyclub.com. I've been shopping for replace my Sienna and have just about have come to the conclusion to keep it.

Happy wife, happy life - why not just let her pick what she wants?

Old 07-10-20, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
it sounds like a wheel bearing is bad
Are you getting a humming or drumming noise...particularly when a side-force is put on the wheel with steering-effort? That is the usual sign of worn wheel bearings.

paint peeling from the hood, had to repaint the hood

and the paint on the hood is peeling again.
Outside of Tesla, I've heard very few cases of modern clearcoat paint fading or peeling that quickly....your vehicle is less than three years old. Paint problems were relatively common around in the early 90s as the automakers tried to find EPA-safe formulas for the painting-process. Seems odd you would have it today, though.....don't you garage your vehicles and usually keep them out of the sun? And you do wash them regularly, which helps.

On the other hand, no offense, but, o​​​​​​f course, we are dealing with a Chrysler product....they aren't at the bottom of the reliability charts for nothing.

So, my wife is absolutely dead set on another minivan,

1. Hyundai Palisade Limited. This is my #1 choice, but she's going to say its too small and she wants the sliding doors. I'm going to bring one home for her to play around with, so we'll see.
Not sure this makes sense. She doesn't want another minivan, but she does want sliding doors? In the U.S. market, at least, that isn't going to leave her with many, if any, choices.

2. VW Atlas SEL
I have a high opinion of the Atlas, its design, and its road manners (you might remember my write-up)....but you might find it too simple and Teutonic inside for your tastes. As for reliability, VWs don't have the best reputation (and dealer-service/satisfaction is sub-par in the American market)...but, to be honest, it is difficult to imagine it being less reliable than your Pacifica was.

3. Kia Telluride
Definitely worth considering, but, from the demand and the hype, good luck getting a good deal on one. I know several people in the Kia sales network, though (my brother has bought 3 new Kias), and I might be able to give you a reference.

4. Chevrolet Traverse High Country.
Very nice inside and out, and comfortable, but I'm not completely sold on that GM 9-speed transmission...the one in my Lacrosse has a couple of noticeable quirks.

5. Ford Expedition. This is an outlier, and WAY more money than I want to spend. But, it certainly would solve my wife's size concerns, and she might like it. I like the idea of it being big and beefy and able to haul us and family and all our stuff without feeling overloaded (which the Pacifica does at times)
You aren't kidding about money. My next-door neighbors bought one last year that listed for 73K. But, yes, the Expedition is B-I-G, both inside and outside...plenty of room inside to keep the two squabbling kids apart LOL.

Any thoughts?
What about a leftover 2019 Ford Flex? It is out of production, but there may still be a few left that are unsold. The general three-row design combines many of the traditional SUV and minivan strengths.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-20 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 05:24 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I bet you’re going to love the Palisade. If that doesn’t workout, the Expedition is very nice if you’re willing to spend the money.

The sliding doors on a van are so useful though.
Old 07-10-20, 05:37 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing beats the convenience of sliding doors on both sides of a vehicle and a minivan has just enough height to provide a nice step in/step out convenience. In this case the lady who drives around all day long is going to be the one who decides That leaves the Sienna and Odyssey as prime choices.

We use Chrysler 3.6 minivans in my job and they're surprisingly robust. Their big feature, is in fact the sliders and roominess. I'm a Japanese car and truck guy too, but these Chyrco's have that going for them. We see them at 450K kilometers and bashed around and still running well.

In fact I'm in the market for a used crossover/suv for severe duty and the Grand Cherokee from 2011 or so has caught my attention. The 4 Runner would be the alternative but I don't like the prices and the low seat height. Not to mention the dated plasticky interior.
Old 07-10-20, 06:19 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI - I've had nothing but problems with my 2018 Odyssey EX-L -

Engine Knocking/Rattling because of bearing Issue (check out the giant thread on Odyclub)
Cruise Control not Working (and all safety features disabled)
AC Noise

I would avoid this product. On a side note, my dad has a Pacifica and it too has the front suspension creak that you mention - but, to me, it's a better driving product than the Odyssey if ride and handling are important to you.
Old 07-10-20, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Nothing beats the convenience of sliding doors on both sides of a vehicle .
Especially when careless people hem you in your parking-space.

The 4 Runner would be the alternative but I don't like the prices and the low seat height. Not to mention the dated plasticky interior.
Can't actually speak for his wife, but I suspect she might find the 4Runner's chassis and ride-comfort too truck-like..especially for a long trip. Don't forget....they regularly drive from D.C. area to Beckley, West Virginia....a good 300+ miles each way.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-20 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 06:51 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would wait for the new Sienna:

Old 07-10-20, 06:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If you stick with a minivan, I`d say pick up the sienna. No where near as tech filled as a pacifica, and probably as solid as they get in terms of vehicle.
Old 07-10-20, 07:18 PM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the Telluride has slightly more room inside over the Palisade, but not a dramatic difference. We've had our SXP Telluride for a little over a year and we have been so impressed by it. Also not a singe issue or trip to the shop(other then one time I accidentally got a large amount of patio furniture stuck in there because the seatbelt retracted around it haha). Also check out the 2021 nightfall edition package that will be available on most of the Telluride trims.

If you do end up going down the minivan route, be sure to take a look at the brand new 2021 Sedona, looks impressive! Kia however has not yet committed to bringing the new Sedona to America yet, especially with the success of the Telluride.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021...teaser-design/

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-10-20, 07:18 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Happy Wife, Happy Life! 😃

Get her minivan - what about MB Sprinter van?
New Kia van looks like SUV.
Old 07-10-20, 07:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Sounds like you're going to be getting an Odyssey.
LOL, probably.
Originally Posted by TriC
We have bought 3 Odysseys new, so I have been a fan of them. However, the current fifth generation seems to have more than its share of problems (although the 2020s are better than the 2018s or 2019s as all now have a 10 speed transmission) - see Odyclub.com. I've been shopping for replace my Sienna and have just about have come to the conclusion to keep it.
I have heard that as well, and I do read on Odyclub. Yeah the 9 speed in 18 & 19 lower trim Odysseys is the same unit thats in the Pacifica.

Happy wife, happy life - why not just let her pick what she wants?
My wife is a weird duck about cars. She doesnt care about them at all, its like a refrigerator to her. If she would pick a car and actually engage in the looking process and find something she really would like, that would be great. She doesnt do that though. She would just drive the Pacifica broken, she throws out a couple things its gotta have, and then she doesnt care what she drives. So, if she doesnt care...and I'm paying for the thing and caring for it...I'd at least like to have something I enjoy driving and having.

Right now she thinks she has to have sliding doors, but once she gets used to having regular doors she wont care.

And the Odyssey, she doesnt want that either because it doesnt have the stow-n-go seats or a surround view camera. She wants another Pacifica, but I'm tired of dealing with putting it in the shop every month, because that always falls on me. Left on her own she wouldn't have anything fixed, change the oil, wash it, anything. She would just drive it until it left her stranded.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you getting a humming or drumming noise...particularly when a side-force is put on the wheel with steering-effort? That is the usual sign of worn wheel bearings.
Yep, definitely has a bad wheel bearing.

Outside of Tesla, I've heard very few cases of modern clearcoat paint fading or peeling that quickly....your vehicle is less than three years old. Paint problems were relatively common around in the early 90s as the automakers tried to find EPA-safe formulas for the painting-process. Seems odd you would have it today, though.....don't you garage your vehicles and usually keep them out of the sun? And you do wash them regularly, which helps.
Its a common issue with the Pacifica and some FCA models in general with aluminum hoods. Chrysler repainted the hood under warranty already, the issue has just come back. My business partners Jeep had the same issue.

On the other hand, no offense, but, o​​​​​​f course, we are dealing with a Chrysler product....they aren't at the bottom of the reliability charts for nothing.
No offense taken, my Chrysler sucks!

Not sure this makes sense. She doesn't want another minivan, but she does want sliding doors? In the U.S. market, at least, that isn't going to leave her with many, if any, choices.
She doesnt care about minivan vs SUV, she does think she has to have sliding doors, which leaves minivans.

I have a high opinion of the Atlas, its design, and its road manners (you might remember my write-up)....but you might find it too simple and Teutonic inside for your tastes.
Its a little cold inside I agree.

What about a leftover 2019 Ford Flex? It is out of production, but there may still be a few left that are unsold. The general three-row design combines many of the traditional SUV and minivan strengths.
If I'm gonna fight the no sliding doors fight its gonna be for something better than a Flex lol

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Just FYI - I've had nothing but problems with my 2018 Odyssey EX-L -

Engine Knocking/Rattling because of bearing Issue (check out the giant thread on Odyclub)
Cruise Control not Working (and all safety features disabled)
AC Noise

I would avoid this product. On a side note, my dad has a Pacifica and it too has the front suspension creak that you mention - but, to me, it's a better driving product than the Odyssey if ride and handling are important to you.
Yeah I've heard all of that. The Pacifica definitely drives better, my only issue with the Pacifica is reliability. If it were reliable, it would be great.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Get her minivan - what about MB Sprinter van?
Too truckish
Old 07-10-20, 07:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Tesla Model X is perfect solution with Falcon doors even better than sliding ones.
Its better than any minivan imo.

Quick Reply: I dumped the Pacifica... for another Pacifica...