Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SUV recommendation needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 06:55 AM
oilburner1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SUV recommendation needed

With the addition of a dog to our family we are outgrowing our IS. I'm looking for an SUV replacement and wanted some advice. My priority is ride quality, comfortable seats, and a quiet cabin on the highway. I don't do any offroading besides the very occasional gravel road. However the roads have tons of potholes and cracks here so I am not so interested in skinny tire and big rim combos.

Can anyone give some general impressions of the highlander, 4runner, RX350, and GX? How do these compare? I have a budget of 25-30k so I will be looking for models a bit older likely around 2015 era.

I have test drive a 2015 Jeep GC overlander with the air suspension but wasn't particularly impressed with the ride, which I think in part was due to the 20" wheels.
Old 07-14-20, 07:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

4Runner and GX are going to have slightly more disconnect driving dynamics and will feel heavy, due to their body on frame architecture that is just a bit older than the Grand Cherokee. If you're not towing or doing off-roading, I don't see a huge draw to these two within the Toyota/Lexus lineup.

The RX350 and Highlander will be much more carlike. RX350 might not have a ton of cargo space with the more sloped rear design, or if you intend to put your dog in the cargo area, could get tight depending on how big of a dog you just got (or how big it will grow!).

Highlander, while a 3 row vehicle, 3rd row is really best for occasional use only. But that space in general allows for a good sized cargo area behind the 2nd row of seats.

Old 07-14-20, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

^^^^ I agree with most of pbm317's advice here, except that my experience test-driving GX models has been that they ride somewhat more comfortably (and less truck-like) than the generally stiff 4Runners. Might want to check out a previously-owned GX (if available) before going with a car-based RX or Highlander. Also, the GX's durable underpinnings will be ideal for those poor-condition roads you described your area.

Good Luck.
Old 07-14-20, 08:03 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by oilburner1
With the addition of a dog to our family we are outgrowing our IS. I'm looking for an SUV replacement and wanted some advice. My priority is ride quality, comfortable seats, and a quiet cabin on the highway. I don't do any offroading besides the very occasional gravel road. However the roads have tons of potholes and cracks here so I am not so interested in skinny tire and big rim combos.

Can anyone give some general impressions of the highlander, 4runner, RX350, and GX? How do these compare? I have a budget of 25-30k so I will be looking for models a bit older likely around 2015 era.

I have test drive a 2015 Jeep GC overlander with the air suspension but wasn't particularly impressed with the ride, which I think in part was due to the 20" wheels.
25-30k 3rd gen Highlander. If your lucky maybe a new leftover 19 highlander. The 15-16 RXs are available, but without knowing how big your dog is might want to test a couple out.
Old 07-14-20, 08:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

If you like the RX, they ride great, reasonably quiet and are very comfortable...simple...pretty inexpensive and have a good backseat.
Old 07-14-20, 09:10 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

In addition to what you've listed, I'd check out a Mazda CX-9. Ride is very comfortable and the interior is very well laid out and appointed.
Old 07-14-20, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Yeah, CX-9 is a very good choice. Or even a CX-5, you could get a new one.
Old 07-14-20, 12:56 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can bump up your budget to $35k, you can find 2017+ Q7's with ~30k on them. Might be worth a look.
Old 07-15-20, 06:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Is the OP from Canada? If so that potentially Canadian dollar budget won't go as far as we expect.
Old 07-15-20, 06:05 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Highlander would be good, but I am partial to MDXs, having had five with no significant issues. I believe they hit your three criteria. The last three times I have shopped other SUVs, including RX, Q7, QX60, etc, but come back to MDX for cargo space, and third row when needed, and overall value, compared to the others. For under 30k you are can get a 17 Tech, or an Advance for +/-30k (17 was first year without the beak, and included a few luxury improvements, although not as luxurious as others I mentioned). Third generation starts at 2014 if you want lower pricing.

There are some differences in Canadian and US MDXs. I believe the Advance is called the Elite in Canada.
Old 07-15-20, 07:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

yeah $30K cdn is about, what, $10K u.s.?
Old 07-15-20, 07:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

gx should ride substantially better than a 4runner.
Old 07-15-20, 07:54 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Translates to low $20K USD, but not that vehicle directly transfer in value across the market.

Toyotas in that price range on Kijiji in Alberta seem to be pretty high mileage/kilometerage? You can definitely get into some of the early current gen maxda CX-5's, last gen Explorer, MDX's, Kia Sorento, some 2016/17 Mazda CX-9s.

No 4Runners/GX's came back in that price bracket with under 90,000 KM/56,000 miles. Not sure how wary OP is of getting higher in mileage and the potential maintenance costs that could come up with things that start to wear/need replacement above this threshold.

Old 07-15-20, 08:28 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by oilburner1

I see you're in Alberta. Is the 25-30k budget in USD or CAD?

I used to live in Calgary for a little while. While I was there, I sold my 08 IS250 and eventually bought a 2018 CX-9. I think it's an excellent car. Very quiet in the cabin despite it's 4cyl 2.5T engine, even on the highway. Mazda does a great job keeping the road and engine noise out on this car. Mine came with the 20" wheels, and I think it has a comfortable ride, but it is a bit more on the sporty side. I test drove a model with the 18" wheels and those are definitely better at minimizing NVH at the cost of a slight decrease in handling. The suspension soaks up bumps and road imperfections well, and it is very confidence inspiring. HUGE difference compared to a BOF SUV like the 4Runner. My car has the HUD and its one of those things that you don't really appreciate until you have it, and then you end up wanting it on all of your current and future cars (like cruise control, 360 cams or parking sensors).

I would suggest taking the car for an extended test drive (if you decide to give the CX-9 a shot) to ensure you're happy with the seats. The owner's manual provides some instructions on how to properly adjust the seat for optimal position and comfort, but a couple of people on the Mazda forum I frequent have reported that some of the seat bolstering is too firm or too narrow for them. With that said, I have the napa leather seats and find them very comfortable. I've taken the car on a few road trips, and so far I have driven up to about 6 hours nonstop with no issues. I'm sure I could go longer if we didn't swap drivers or stop for bathroom breaks. I'm 5'7" tall, weigh about 200lbs, and wear a 44R suit jacket.

I took a look at my local market (I'm in MB). There are a couple of 2017 CX-9s with 100k on them (one GS and one GT) for $28k CAD. You can also add AA/ACP to these (if they don't already have it) via a kit sold by the dealer. I think in Canada the kit is $200-300, and can be installed by the dealer or a capable A/V retailer for an additional cost. I highly recommend the GT trim as it comes with the Active Driving Display (HUD).

The car's cargo capacity is not great though. Depending on the size of your dog and how much room you think you'll need, the CX-9 may not be right for you. 3rd row is fine for me, but not suited for larger/taller adults.

EDIT: Also, I had a coworker who had a 2015 JGC Summit edition with the air suspension. It was in the shop 3 times to have the same shock/strut replaced over the 3 years she had it, and it also had a few transmission defects. She traded it in for an Outback. I had seriously considered a JGC before she mentioned these issues to me. Afterwards, the only JGC I would have driven would have been the SRT.

Last edited by sm1ke; 07-15-20 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-15-20, 02:02 PM
oilburner1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks that is in CAD dollars so low 20's usd. I don't really mind higher mileage vehicles since I do most of my own work anyways. In that regard the body on frame would be really nice. I walked by a lifted FJ in my parking lot yesterday and was jealous how easily it would be to do any work underneath that car. Any other suggestions to consider beside the mazda?

Quick Reply: SUV recommendation needed