Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 02:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this bronco is going to look like hot garbage.

or more like a dumpster with wheels and a blue oval.
Hey nostalgia sells, just ask Lexus and Toyota

Old 02-29-20, 02:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Hey nostalgia sells, just ask Lexus and Toyota
There's a nostalgic Lexus?
Old 02-29-20, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
There's a nostalgic Lexus?
This is probably the closest thing to what I (and a number of others) would consider a nostalgic Lexus:

Old 02-29-20, 04:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is probably the closest thing to what I (and a number of others) would consider a nostalgic Lexus:

And what current Lexus model is designed to nostalgically remind us of the original SC coupe?
Old 02-29-20, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And what current Lexus model is designed to nostalgically remind us of the original SC coupe?
The current LC and RC coupes may be nostalgic to some of us. I am not one of them....although I will agree that they are better than no coupes at all.
Old 02-29-20, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back on topic (and this may be old news by now, but I didn't see a prior posting), we will get to see the Bronco when it is unveiled in March, and the smaller Bronco Sport in April, probably at the New York Auto Show. The Bronco Sport will begin showing up at dealers later this year, but (sadly) the Bronco will not be released till early next year (2021)....so, that means, if this article is accurate, we've got another year to wait. Bummer.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...o-reveal-date/

Some of the best news of all, though (at least IMO), is that this will mean a lot of UAW jobs.....the Bronco will be built alongside the Ranger at the Wayne, MI Ford plant. It is unclear where the Bronco Sport will be built....although I may have just missed it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-29-20 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 09:32 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Some of the best news of all, though (at least IMO), is that this will mean a lot of UAW jobs.....the Bronco will be built alongside the Ranger at the Wayne, MI Ford plant. It is unclear where the Bronco Sport will be built....although I may have just missed it.
I've not seen it confirmed anywhere, but it's a pretty good bet that NA-destined Bronco Sports will come out of Louisville Assembly.
Old 03-01-20, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I've not seen it confirmed anywhere, but it's a pretty good bet that NA-destined Bronco Sports will come out of Louisville Assembly.

Interesting. Given that the Bronco Sport shares the Escape platform, and that the Lincoln Corsair, and Lincoln MKC also share the Escape platform (all three are currently built at Louisville), it would make a lot more sense to build the Bronco Sport there than on the same plant as the BOF mid-size Bronco. Wouldn't need as much re-tooling as shifting it to a different plant.
Old 03-01-20, 10:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting. Given that the Bronco Sport shares the Escape platform, and that the Lincoln Corsair, and Lincoln MKC also share the Escape platform (all three are currently built at Louisville), it would make a lot more sense to build the Bronco Sport there than on the same plant as the BOF mid-size Bronco. Wouldn't need as much re-tooling as shifting it to a different plant.
Originally Posted by geko29
Ford should just release the info on this damn Bronco. Enough already Ford....now I’m hoping the new Bronco goes unibody. Leave the 4Runner to itself with the Jeeps.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-01-20 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-01-20, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Leave the 4Runner to itself with the Jeeps.
Broncos, which were introduced in 1966, were slugging it out off-road (and on-road) long before the 4Runner was even a pipe-dream to Toyota management. The first American-market 4Runner, in the mid-1980s some 20 years later, wasn't even a passenger-carrying SUV as we know it.......simply a Toyota pickup with a camper-like structure, with windows, attached above the bed.

Ford should just release the info on this damn Bronco.
Ford is not holding back on some the major features. We know that the mid-sized Bronco will be BOF....and, from some clever spy-shots, that it looks like a live-rear-axle with struts. The smaller Bronco Sport will be unibody....same platform as the Escape/Corsair.

I agree with you on one thing, though, as I posted earlier in the thread. It's been too long, from when the Bronco project was first introduced (late 2016/2017), that it is finally on the edge of having the wraps officially taken off (if not actually shipped to dealers). Part of that delay was negotiation with the UAW over getting them built in the U.S., getting sub-suppliers all lined up, and getting the plants ready. So, the delay was not entirely in vain......it will mean American jobs instead of Mexican, Korean, or Chinese. But, yes, it's going to be a bummer to have to wait till early next year to actually get the mid-sized Bronco at dealerships, even if we officially get to see it next month.

.now I’m hoping the new Bronco goes unibody.
Come on, Jill. They have already announced BOF....at least on the mid-sized version.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-01-20 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 03:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Broncos, which were introduced in 1966, were slugging it out off-road (and on-road) long before the 4Runner was even a pipe-dream to Toyota management. The first American-market 4Runner, in the mid-1980s some 20 years later, wasn't even a passenger-carrying SUV as we know it.......simply a Toyota pickup with a camper-like structure, with windows, attached above the bed.

So what? Vehicles can compete with each other even though one existed much earlier than the other. ie, Lexus vs Mercedes
Old 03-01-20, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So what? Vehicles can compete with each other even though one existed much earlier than the other. ie, Lexus vs Mercedes
Agreed, but unless I mis-read her post, Jill seemed to be taking an attitude that because Ford is taking a long time to bring (back) the Bronco, it should not even be in the same ring as Jeeps and 4Runner. I don't agree.
Old 03-01-20, 04:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Agreed, but unless I mis-read her post, Jill seemed to be taking an attitude that because Ford is taking a long time to bring (back) the Bronco, it should not even be in the same ring as Jeeps and 4Runner. I don't agree.
I'm with you. If it's taking this long, that means they are totally screwing it up.
Old 03-01-20, 05:05 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Ford should hire OJ Simpson to do the commercial when the car is ready.
Old 03-01-20, 05:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Ford should hire OJ Simpson to do the commercial when the car is ready.
Haha. Or call the white colour option. “OJ White”

Quick Reply: 2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport