Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-20, 07:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the infamous white bronco in the OJ Simpson chase wasnt actually his, it was his friends who had the same one
Old 03-01-20, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Ford should hire OJ Simpson to do the commercial when the car is ready.

Ford's lawyers aren't dumb....they know what the likely fallout would be. A commercial like that might sound funny to us, but, in today's litigious society, the surviving relatives of Nicole and Goldman would almost certainly file a suit against Ford and Simpson for mental-stress and anguish the commercial would cause them. (they've already filed one civil-suit against Simpson, after the criminal-trial acquittal). They are convinced that Simpson killed those two, whether the evidence proves it or not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-01-20 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 05:07 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ford's lawyers aren't dumb....they know what the likely fallout would be. A commercial like that might sound funny to us, but, in today's litigious society, the surviving relatives of Nicole and Goldman would almost certainly file a suit against Ford and Simpson for mental-stress and anguish the commercial would cause them. (they've already filed one civil-suit against Simpson, after the criminal-trial acquittal). They are convinced that Simpson killed those two, whether the evidence proves it or not.
So you think Ford is worried about being sued, and not the negative consumer backlash of naming a color after a known (even though not convicted) murderer? Frankly, OJ could use some PR.
Old 03-02-20, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
So you think Ford is worried about being sued, and not the negative consumer backlash of naming a color after a known (even though not convicted) murderer? Frankly, OJ could use some PR.
My strong guess is that they don't make a commercial like that, for the reasons I've stated. If they do, fine....we'll see what happens. But remember, people are very sensitive nowadays....sometimes too much or unreasonably so, IMO. VW, for instance, faced a lot of criticism (though it stopped short of a lawsuit), when they named the Touraeg after a North African tribe of nomadic people.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-02-20 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-02-20, 06:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

He was found “Not guilty” I remember this case so well, the crooked, lying, racist cop was a big red flag. He was the only person in the whole trial to be guilty of something.
Old 03-02-20, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
He was found “Not guilty” I remember this case so well, the crooked, lying, racist cop was a big red flag. He was the only person in the whole trial to be guilty of something.
I won't get into that here, because, having once served as a jury foreman myself, I have my own feelings on the matter, and this is not really the thread for it. But, do you have an opinion (or comment) on what the rest of us were discussing.....Ford making a commercial out of that case and/or using O.J.'s name and/or color-reference?
Old 03-02-20, 06:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I won't get into that here, because, having once served as a jury foreman myself, I have my own feelings on the matter, and this is not really the thread for it. But, do you have an opinion (or comment) on what the rest of us were discussing.....Ford making a commercial out of that case and/or using O.J.'s name and/or color-reference?
I do not care. It would an explosion marketing stunt for Ford, would get worldwide exposure for the Ford brand. However, the later fall out because we live in a political correct society would hurt Ford big time. At the end of the day, he was found not guilty.
Old 03-02-20, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I do not care. It would an explosion marketing stunt for Ford, would get worldwide exposure for the Ford brand. However, the later fall out because we live in a political correct society would hurt Ford big time. At the end of the day, he was found not guilty.
Ford already has worldwide exposure, particularly in North America and Europe. And the Bronco's greatest popularity is likely to be in the American West, though it will probably sell at least fairly well everywhere to those who want the image of an off-roader, even if they don't actually go off-road.

Which brings us to another related issue, although probably not one best-discussed in this thread. A number of insurance policies, even for rated-off-road vehicles, won't cover actual off-roading. Might be a good idea to discuss that in a separate thread...I might (?) open one.
Old 03-02-20, 07:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

My strong guess is that they don't make a commercial like that, for the reasons I've stated. If they do, fine....we'll see what happens. But remember, people are very sensitive nowadays....sometimes too much or unreasonably so, IMO.
Ok--and I guaranty they don't do that because no company wants to affirmatively associate their product with a murderer. But--we get to the same place with different reasoning.
Old 03-02-20, 09:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

ok let's drop the OJ debate please.
Old 03-02-20, 01:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

did someone say manual?

https://carbuzz.com/news/confirmed-f...tting-a-manual
Old 03-09-20, 10:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And there she is. In the full. In all her glory.

Autoblog
Old 03-09-20, 11:00 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Should note that the link Jill posted is the Bronco Sport(ie, baby bronco).
Old 03-09-20, 11:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Should note that the link Jill posted is the Bronco Sport(ie, baby bronco).
So it's not going to be the Maverick?
Old 03-09-20, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And there she is. In the full. In all her glory.

Autoblog
Thanks, Jill. You get the Post-of-the-Thread Award.

IMO, Ford themselves should have released actual pictures long ago. But also thanks to Autoblog for making that shot possible.

Looks great. ....exactly how something with the Bronco (Sport) name, even as a crossover, should be styled. We'll have to assume that the larger BOF Bronco will look similar.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-20 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport