Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 12:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yeah.these two aren't really competitors. On a side note, GM has sold 42k Blazers thru June and on pace (if the new car market holds up) for 84k-85k this year. Not too shabby.
Let's also understand that "reservations" are not "purchases" or "orders". Tesla Model 3 did the same thing--a reservation just holds your place in line. It doesn't commit you to buy. It's a fully refundable $100 deposit. Anyone "thinking" about buying a Bronco would be a moron not to "reserve" one.
Old 07-30-20, 12:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
^^^^ See? What did I tell you guys? You didn't see anywhere near this kind of response for the Blazer when it debuted...with good reason. But no, Marshall didn't know what he was talking about.
See? you keep bringing up the Blazer and it keeps being irrelevant. this is not 30-40 years ago.

plus unlike GM's current Blazer, ford hasn't actually delivered anything yet.
Old 07-30-20, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
See? you keep bringing up the Blazer and it keeps being irrelevant. this is not 30-40 years ago.
It is very much relevant. You don't see Blazer-orders bursting at the seems...and there is a reason for that.

You can order me, as a moderator, not to being the Blazer up again in the thread, and I'll comply, but it won't change the numbers.

Old 07-30-20, 01:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

It is very much relevant. You don't see Blazer-orders bursting at the seems...and there is a reason for that.

You can order me, as a moderator, not to being the Blazer up again in the thread, and I'll comply, but it won't change the numbers.
you might as well compare then bronco orders with every midsize crossover out there, except it makes no sense and has no purpose.
Old 07-30-20, 01:38 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Comparing the sales numbers of 2 vehicles doesn't make it relevant. Just because they are both SUVs doesn't make them competitors. To use your common phrase, it's like comparing the sales of apples vs oranges. That is not the same as comparing sales of Gala apples vs Fuji apples.
Old 07-31-20, 07:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Bronco vs 4Runner in pictures

Source
Old 07-31-20, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Comparing the sales numbers of 2 vehicles doesn't make it relevant. Just because they are both SUVs doesn't make them competitors. To use your common phrase, it's like comparing the sales of apples vs oranges. That is not the same as comparing sales of Gala apples vs Fuji apples.

Well, that alone is part of the problem. The Bronco and the B***** are not apples and apples, when they should be apples and apples. That is why one of them is selling in large numbers of pre-orders, while the other sells mediocre at best. Like it or not, the market doesn't need more crossovers......it is already bursting at the seams with them, although it will be interesting to see how the crossover Bronco Sport does.
Old 07-31-20, 11:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

when they should be apples and apples.
In. Your. Opinion. Only GM gets to decide how its trademarked names should be applied.

the market doesn't need more crossovers......it is already bursting at the seams with them, although it will be interesting to see how the crossover Bronco Sport does.
You are literally having it both ways in one sentence. If the market doesn't need more crossovers, then it doesn't need Bronco Sport. It's perfectly fine for you not to like the Blazer. But if you don't want more crossovers, then it's really not about the Blazer.

Last edited by tex2670; 07-31-20 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-31-20, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
In. Your. Opinion. Only GM gets to decide how its trademarked names should be applied.
.....and GM made a bad choice. That's not necessary my opinion....the market is proving it.

You are literally having it both ways in one sentence. If the market doesn't need more crossovers, then it doesn't need Bronco Sport. It's perfectly fine for you not to like the Blazer. But if you don't want more crossovers, then it's really not about the Blazer.
With all due respect, you misread my statement. I said that the market probably doesn't need more crossovers (which, as of now, is true), so it will be interesting to see how the smaller crossover Bronco Sport does in relation to the larger, BOF Bronco. It is true that not everyone will need the Bronco's truck-like structure and off-road capabilities, but that doesn't negate the fact that the BOF Bronco,lke the Jeep Wrangler, is likely to become a cult-vehicle.
Old 07-31-20, 03:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm not sure how the market is proving that GM made a bad choice. Thru June in a less than stellar new car market they've sold nearly 50,000 Blazers and Trail Blazers. They're on pace for over 100k sales this year. I'm sure that GM will enjoy taking each of those sales to the bank.
Old 07-31-20, 03:45 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm not sure how the market is proving that GM made a bad choice. Thru June in a less than stellar new car market they've sold nearly 50,000 Blazers and Trail Blazers. They're on pace for over 100k sales this year. I'm sure that GM will enjoy taking each of those sales to the bank.
And on a vehicle that didn't require much development, since it's a spin-off of the Equinox. Bronco development was EXPENSIVE, you can tell by the small details,with lots of bespoke bits that aren't really reusable on any other vehicle, and how it is custom-tailored for its target market. In that vein, GM just recently completed the most expensive R&D project in its entire history, right around the time the Blazer was launched.

IF they had sunk the kind of money into the Blazer that Ford sunk into the Bronco, it's highly unlikely the C8 would be the blockbuster that it is. They can't afford to do everything over the top, all of the time. Some things have to be "good enough" so that other things can be great. And the Blazer is certainly "good enough". It's a solid midsized CUV that looks good, is well priced, and by all reports drives well. I'm sure GM and their shareholders are quite happy to have solid sales numbers for a vehicle with minimal development costs AND barnstorming sales for their flagship sports car.

Last edited by geko29; 07-31-20 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
IF they had sunk the kind of money into the Blazer that Ford sunk into the Bronco, it's highly unlikely the C8 would be the blockbuster that it is.
One could say that Ford has its own answer to the C8...the GT, although, granted, it costs considerably more, and will probably not be available in the same numbers.

The C8 actually got off to a rather bad start, due to the long strike, production problems, and, of course, the pandemic. People wanted them, but they simply couldn't get them. Even dealerships had a hard time ordering them.

If the larger BOF Bronco turns out to be a sales-flop, I'll stand corrected (wouldn't be the first time...might not be the last)...but, so far, I don't see any signs of that happening.

Old 07-31-20, 04:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Seriously

50K Blazers and TrailBlazers especially during a pandemic is really good. Like it or not these two SUVs are a success. Time to get over the name, and move on.

If any automaker is making anything raised and with 5 doors or a bed, it's like printing money
Old 07-31-20, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Time to get over the name, and move on.
And lot of people seem to be getting over the name by ordering Broncos.

If any automaker is making anything raised and with 5 doors or a bed, it's like printing money
The Jeep Gladiator and Honda Ridgeline, with a bed, don't seem to be doing as well as a lot of other trucks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-31-20 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 05:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

And lot of people seem to be getting over the name by ordering Broncos.

The Jeep Gladiator and Honda Ridgeline, with a bed, don't seem to be doing as well as a lot of other trucks.
Two different segments. Apples and oranges.

Quick Reply: 2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport