Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 06:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Bronco Sport looks bette the Bronco body on frame version.
Old 12-05-20, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Bronco Sport looks better the Bronco body on frame version.
What screws up the Bronco's looks, IMO, are all these pictures of it running around without the side doors. Unless someone really wants a nice breeze coming through the cabin (along with a lot more noise), I'm not sure who would want to drive like that or why, although I admittedly see some Jeep Wranglers that way also.

Old 12-05-20, 07:09 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I understand that part of it, but the Bronco Sport, Big-Bend package or not, is simply not as much of an off-roader as the truck-based Bronco itself. It's more or less like trying to turn a Jeep Compass into a Wrangler (which one cannot do) by just adding a tough-sounding trim-package.

Having said that, though, it will probably help with sales in Texas, as a lot of people these days simply buy on image alone. Big Bend Park itself, though, is no mere image...it is a beautiful place, with some of the best scenery in the state.
They don't offer a "Sasquatch" package on the Bronco Sport or the Black Diamond or Wildtrak, which are arguably the more rugged of the Bronco trims and packages. Much like Jeep doesn't put "Rubicon" on the Compass or Renegade.. But those do get Trailhawk versions.

It's not targeting about targeting Texas sales.

And the Bronco Sport is proving to be pretty capable

View this post on Instagram
Old 12-05-20, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's not targeting about targeting Texas sales.
Not sure I agree with that. Even without a Big Bend name to the package, Texas has been truck/SUV-Central for decades. That's one reason (among several) why Toyota built a truck plant in San Antonio.

Old 12-05-20, 10:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Love the new Bronco Sport. It is nothing more than an modern Nissan Xterra. I predict this vehicle will do extremely well, which proves Nissan and the other brands totally missed out on a very easy and profitable niche market.

Old 12-06-20, 01:15 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Love the new Bronco Sport. It is nothing more than an modern Nissan Xterra. I predict this vehicle will do extremely well, which proves Nissan and the other brands totally missed out on a very easy and profitable niche market.
So the Nissan Xterra was a very rugged, Body on Frame RWD-based 4x4 SUV with available lockers. They are/were extremely popular in part because of how easy they are to modify.

The Bronco Sport is a somewhat beefed-up version of the Escape, a FWD-based AWD unibody CUV that as a result will be extremely difficult to modify to increase its capabilities. Not really the same thing at all.
Old 12-06-20, 03:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, despite the image and ads, they are not the same by any means. The XTerra was a true truck-based BOF off-roader., where, as geko29 correctly states, the Bronco Sport is an Escape platform with some modifications for limited off-road use. However, I do agree with you that the Bronco Sport will do very well, for several reasons.

Now, the larger Bronco.......different story. It is a true Mountain Goat.
Old 12-06-20, 10:46 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Bronco Sport looks bette the Bronco body on frame version.
No way. The Sport is just another crossover in a world of crossovers. Fine for suburban soccer moms I guess, but not much else. I much prefer the BOF Bronco.

What screws up the Bronco's looks, IMO, are all these pictures of it running around without the side doors. Unless someone really wants a nice breeze coming through the cabin (along with a lot more noise), I'm not sure who would want to drive like that or why, although I admittedly see some Jeep Wranglers that way also.
Have you ever been off-roading?
Old 12-06-20, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
No way. The Sport is just another crossover in a world of crossovers. Fine for suburban soccer moms I guess, but not much else. I much prefer the BOF Bronco.
I suspect most of the buyers will, also.

Have you ever been off-roading?
Yes, but not with the entire side of the vehicle wide open. Not much in recent years, though, as most of my driving is typical suburban.
Old 12-06-20, 07:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

My comments about the Xterra and Bronco Sport pertain to the image and intent, not the mechanicals or what lays underneath. Both were intended to be affordable sport/adventure-mobiles for suburbia. Same raison d'etre.
Old 12-06-20, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My comments about the Xterra and Bronco Sport pertain to the image and intent, not the mechanicals or what lays underneath. Both were intended to be affordable sport/adventure-mobiles for suburbia. Same raison d'etre.
Images are not always accurate....particularly in ads. Sometimes one has to look under the skin.
Old 12-06-20, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Since the thread is about a trim level (big bend) for the bronco SPORT, which apparently is also available for the bigger non-sport bronco, not really sure what this thread is for.

and the bronco sport, being a beefed up escape, is a total faker but the proles will buy and ford's accountants will be happy.
Old 12-06-20, 09:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Since the thread is about a trim level (big bend) for the bronco SPORT, which apparently is also available for the bigger non-sport bronco, not really sure what this thread is for.
I posted it because it looked interesting, and it was one of Ford's most recent announcements.

and the bronco sport, being a beefed up escape, is a total faker but the proles will buy and ford's accountants will be happy.
It's a part-faker.....I wouldn't say a total one. Better examples of what I would consider total fakers are the Chevy Blazer, Jeep Compass, and Jeep Renegade.
Old 12-06-20, 10:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Images are not always accurate....particularly in ads. Sometimes one has to look under the skin.
Images of the Xterra and Bronco Sport are not fake. Anyone who has followed history and the upcoming Bronco Sport story know what's coming. The two are very much the same idea and same sales pitch. In this entry level segment, most buyers don't care what's under the floorboard or even know the difference. Hose it out tough interior, and off-roading options that will mostly likely never be used. Customer feels accomplished and daring by doing nothing but writing a check, and sales maintain. Brands love this type of trend.

Old 12-07-20, 09:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

well doug demuro likes the bronco sport a lot, for what it is.
but then he loves boxy off roaders even though he didn't take it off road. at all.

Quick Reply: 2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport