Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-21, 05:47 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Not sure about all this info. I've seen 2 in my area already this past weekend.
Old 06-17-21, 06:12 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 793 Likes on 556 Posts

Bronco or Bronco Sport? Sports have been out for a little bit.
Old 06-17-21, 06:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
There is room in the market for both the Blazer and Bronco. Both will be fine.
Of course there is - they are 2 totally separate vehicles which should not be in the same conversation unless that conversation is a stroll down memory lane.
Old 06-17-21, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Not sure about all this info. I've seen 2 in my area already this past weekend.
As Allen K suggested, you have most likely confused it with the Bronco Sport, which is similarly-styled, but slightly smaller and is a crossover, not a BOF like the Bronco. The Bronco Sport has been on sale for a few months now.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-21 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-17-21, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Of course there is - they are 2 totally separate vehicles which should not be in the same conversation unless that conversation is a stroll down memory lane.
Many of the Bronco's (not the Bronco Sport's) customers are probably doing exactly that....strolling down memory lane...but this time, with their wallets.

Old 06-17-21, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

We all know how you feel about the Blazer. There is no need at this point to infect every Bronco thread with Blazer bashing. The Bronco is a compelling discussion topic and a special vehicle; just keep it there. Seriously
Exactly, its beyond tiresome.

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Here's one of the things that is going to help sell Broncos.....an honest-to-goodness traditional three-pedal manual, although manuals probably aren't the best choice in my area because of the traffic.

Steve, since you are from WV, I think that's one of the places the Bronco is going to do really well, particularly with the stick....assuming that lower-income people in the state can actually afford one.
So, people in WV can absolutely afford a vehicle like the Bronco, but I don't see it doing that well there. Its a fashion/fad vehicle, and people in southern WV tend to be more practical and less fashionable with the sorts of vehicles they buy, I would see most people who could afford one of these rather buying say a 1/2 ton pickup.

These will be way more common in suburban shopping centers.

I've seen a bunch of Bronco Sports around here. I think they're ugly, but clearly they are selling,
Old 06-17-21, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I've seen a bunch of Bronco Sports around here. I think they're ugly, but clearly they are selling,
Boxy styling is usually what is needed for space efficiency. It's the age-old conflict between form and function. That's why a number of SUVs (and some crossovers like the Outback and Forester) have not changed their basic shapes for decades.
Old 06-17-21, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Boxy styling is usually what is needed for space efficiency. It's the age-old conflict between form and function. That's why a number of SUVs (and some crossovers like the Outback and Forester) have not changed their basic shapes for decades.
I don't have an issue with boxy styling, I just think the Bronco Sport specifically is ugly, I don't like the proportions, its boxy yet rounded, just doesnt appeal to me.

The boxy styling of the Bronco Sport is not for space efficiency, its for style. Like I said, these are fashion vehicles.
Old 06-17-21, 07:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have an issue with boxy styling, I just think the Bronco Sport specifically is ugly, I don't like the proportions, its boxy yet rounded, just doesnt appeal to me.

The boxy styling of the Bronco Sport is not for space efficiency, its for style. Like I said, these are fashion vehicles.
It's not just that it's boxy. The Bronco Sport styling intentionally makes it look downscale on a number of trim levels. The nostalgic steel looking wheels don't do it for me; it looks cheap intentionally.

I'll give Ford credit - some people want something that just looks different, no matter what.
Old 06-17-21, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's not just that it's boxy. The Bronco Sport styling intentionally makes it look downscale on a number of trim levels. The nostalgic steel looking wheels don't do it for me; it looks cheap intentionally.

I'll give Ford credit - some people want something that just looks different, no matter what.
Yeah I just don't get it...but like I said people are buying it...
Old 06-17-21, 07:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps....but the laws of physics don't change just to suit fashion-statements. An added benefit of shoe-box-styling is usually better space-efficiency inside, unless you have hybrid or electric versions with large battery-packs, which takes up some of the added spade.

And, personally, I'd call it more of a retro-design than simple fashion.....same as what we see with the Wrangler, Challenger, Mustang, and, to a lesser extent, the Camaro.
Old 06-17-21, 07:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps....but the laws of physics don't change just to suit fashion-statements. An added benefit of shoe-box-styling is usually better space-efficiency inside, unless you have hybrid or electric versions with large battery-packs, which takes up some of the added spade.

And, personally, I'd call it more of a retro-design than simple fashion.....same as what we see with the Wrangler, Challenger, Mustang, and, to a lesser extent, the Camaro.
Retro designs are fashion designs. As for calling it retro though, personally I don't think it looks like any Bronco they ever made. The vehicle it reminds me of is the old Land Rover LR2

The Wrangler isn't a retro style design like the Challenger, Mustang. Its an example of a car that has been consistently designed in a similar iconic look over time, like say a Porsche 911. The Challenger, Mustang and Bronco are vehicles that either stopped production or looked very different and then were deliberately restyled to evoke a retro look at they had in their heyday.
Old 06-17-21, 07:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Here's one of the things that is going to help sell Broncos.....an honest-to-goodness traditional three-pedal manual, although manuals probably aren't the best choice in my area because of the traffic.
Agreed, but inexplicably they made it only available with the 4-cylinder. There has been a ton of hand-wringing in the Bronco forums by people who want both the manual and the V6, and have a very difficult time deciding what they want more. Many of them ultimately chose the V6, but yet 18% of overall orders (and roughly half of 4-cylinder orders) are with the manual. So they likely would have sold quite a few V6s with the 7MT if they offered it.

Initially they weren't going to offer the manual with the Sasquatch package, but outcry was so loud that they relented.
Old 06-17-21, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Wrangler isn't a retro style design like the Challenger, Mustang.
I respectfully have to disagree with that. The basic styling, except for modern updates, has not changed much since 1941 and the military World War II models, except to get solid enclosed roof and four-door options. It is (arguably) still the most retro-vehicle in the American market.

Don't want to get too far off-topic, and, in fact, many people don't know this, but the first British Land Rovers, in the late 1940s, were redone Jeeps with an enclosed body, a slightly more civilized (but still stark) interior, and a British drivetrain. The Brits were so enamored with the wartime Jeep that they decided to do their own version of it for Third-World conditions in Africa and Asia, before their empire started breaking up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-21 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-17-21, 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I respectfully have to disagree with that. The basic styling is not changed much since 1941 and the military World War II models, except to get solid enclosed roof and four-door options. It is (arguably) still the most retro-vehicle in the American market.
You miss my point. Correct, the style hasn't changed much, but its been in consistent production with that style, its an iconic look that they have massaged and evolved over time. Would you call the Porsche 911 a retro design? Or a Range Rover? I wouldn't.

The Bronco is a retro design because they have taken a car that at this point is a historic model which they stopped making decades ago and have created a new car that is designed specifically to look like that old car. Thats not the case with the Wrangler.

Quick Reply: 2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport