Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-22, 08:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think that it impacts whether people will have interest in the real Bronco once the hype has worn off. Ford wants to basically have a “Bronco” sub brand, and they should reserve that name for vehicles that truly are real off-road trucks. If the Bronco Sport weren’t just a gussied up Escape I wouldn’t have an issue. It too should be a real off-road truck.

With Range Rover, all the Range Rovers are true examples of what a Range Rover is. If one of them were a FWD crossover that would also be stupid.

My issue is I don’t like poseur vehicles. The Bronco Sport is a poseur vehicle.
I think you are over thinking all of this. The original Broncos were built off F150s. So this one is off a Ranger frame. Explorer was always a body on frame, new one and last one are not. I am not a fan of Ford all that much, but I think the Bronco Sport is a pretty cool product. Great looks. Great features. It is what it is.
Old 07-12-22, 09:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The Evoque is FWD based but it still has credible off-road ability that is demonstrated all over the place. I would agree though that it also probably should not exist.
Old 07-12-22, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Chevy wasn’t trying to do something special with the Blazer name like Ford is with the Bronco name. Chevy chose to throw it away on the Blazer, and in fact they had already thrown it away on 20 years of crappy family SUVs. It makes no sense for Ford to spend so much on the real Bronco and then also roll it out alongside this.

​​​​@mmarshall the Wrangler Sport IS a Wrangler.

OK...I think I see what you mean. Tex2670 had mentioned that he thought people would be outraged if Jeep had used the name "Wrangler Sport" (which, of course, they did on the Wrangler itself). But, on a second look, I see he meant renaming the Renegade the Wrangler Sport.

However, I'm not sure I agree with his point of view. Jeep has used the "Sport" moniker on a number of their different products, and they all seem to sell either way, so I don't think that very many people are getting offended.
Old 07-12-22, 10:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
In a completely unrelated story employees that had recently left Tesla were seen at the Ford plant.
Old 07-12-22, 10:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The Evoque is FWD based but it still has credible off-road ability that is demonstrated all over the place. I would agree though that it also probably should not exist.
I bet the Bronco Sport is more capable off road.
Old 07-12-22, 11:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
However, I'm not sure I agree with his point of view. Jeep has used the "Sport" moniker on a number of their different products, and they all seem to sell either way, so I don't think that very many people are getting offended.
I'm not talking about using the word "Sport". I'm talking about overuse of the revered name "Wrangler". I don't care about the word "Sport". Which is why I suggested "Escape Sport".

There's a reason Jeep didn't call their new vehicle "Wrangler Pickup", and used "Gladiator" - the Wrangler name is special.
Old 07-12-22, 11:13 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not talking about using the word "Sport". I'm talking about overuse of the revered name "Wrangler". I don't care about the word "Sport". Which is why I suggested "Escape Sport".

There's a reason Jeep didn't call their new vehicle "Wrangler Pickup", and used "Gladiator" - the Wrangler name is special.
Escape Sport would've discounted the off-road positioning of the Bronco Sport. Jeep has been very protective of the Wrangler name, true. That model has been in constant production though unlike the Bronco. This is precisely why Jeep is rumored to be taking a similar strategy to Ford with the Wagoneer: https://moparinsiders.com/rumors-nex...agoneer-model/. The gap in production allows for reinvention.
Old 07-12-22, 03:04 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

The Bronco ''sport'' is a very cable vehicle, more so then some ppl that have no idea, step up to the ''Badlands'' & you'll have a ''sport'' that'll eat the comp's lunch......So if your wanting a Bronco sport for street, get the ''Big Bend'' package Those not in the know the ''sport'' model on Wrangler is the entry base model.
Old 07-13-22, 06:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

OK...I think I see what you mean. Tex2670 had mentioned that he thought people would be outraged if Jeep had used the name "Wrangler Sport" (which, of course, they did on the Wrangler itself). But, on a second look, I see he meant renaming the Renegade the Wrangler Sport.

His issue is the word “Wrangler” not the word Sport. My issue is use of the word Bronco.

People aren’t’ “offended”, it just dilutes the brand.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I bet the Bronco Sport is more capable off road.
I doubt it.
Old 09-08-22, 09:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

i am amazed at what people will do with (new) broncos...

Old 09-09-22, 01:05 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Screenshot from Bitkahuna's video above.
Yeah, videos like this will sell the Bronco.

More money than sense but it looks like it's up to the job, I like it.

Old 09-10-22, 02:40 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

It will go pretty much anywhere a Wrangler will go, though the Wrangler has an advantage in some areas due to the solid front axle.
Old 09-10-22, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Yeah, videos like this will sell the Bronco.

More money than sense but it looks like it's up to the job, I like it.

Agreed, but there is a difference between sensible off-roading and way-overdoing it trying to show off. This is why some insurance companies will not cover vehicles off-road.
Old 09-10-22, 11:08 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Agreed, but there is a difference between sensible off-roading and way-overdoing it trying to show off. This is why some insurance companies will not cover vehicles off-road.
OMG that's funny.
Never thought of that.

Wonder how many phone calls start off with, "I just messed up my new truck mudding and off roading for my youtube channel, am I covered?". haha
Old 09-11-22, 05:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
OMG that's funny.
Never thought of that.

Wonder how many phone calls start off with, "I just messed up my new truck mudding and off roading for my youtube channel, am I covered?". haha
Not only that, but, with the possible exception of the Bronco and Jeep Wrangler (which are at home off-road), only a relatively small minority of even body-on-frame SUV owners go significantly off-road in the first place....and a good percentage of them are probably involved in things like ranching and farming where one's business is done off road.

Quick Reply: 2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport