Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-24, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Why would a married woman about your age not want a Bronco Sport? I don't see that as strange...

Most of the ones I've seen in my area (and there are a lot of them) seem to be driven by younger people. She had previously had an Escape, and, partly at least on my recommendation, looked at the Bronco Sport, done on the same platform. She fell in love with it.

I still think GM really missed out on this share of the market by not providing true competitors to both the Bronco and Bronco Sport. Yes, you've got the Hummer, but it is enormously heavy, enormously expensive, limited-production, and comes in BEV only.

And, speaking of the Hummer, I have to admit defeat for perhaps the first time since I started test driving and evaluating vehicles in the 1960s. There was one or two of them at my local GM dealership last time I was there, and, even with a grab-bar on the driver's side A-pillar and a small running board underneath, and me at six feet + tall, it was just too high off the ground for me and my somewhat weak legs to push/pull myself up into the cabin.

You often claim that I never give up on a talking point? Well, there....I just did.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-24 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-30-24, 10:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks like broken steering
Old 06-30-24, 01:29 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Then i guess the new Tacoma is also trash with it's toothpick front end that snaps under light trail use.
​​​​
Old 06-30-24, 01:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
"It didn't do what it's supposed to do." LOL - totally the car's fault.....
Old 06-30-24, 10:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

First, I wouldn't necessarily blame the Bronco or the girl driving it. Probably no mass-produced 4WD off-roader, even some Land-Rovers, could have gotten through loose sand and dirt that deep without traction. I'm surprised that the tow truck itself could even get out of that mess.

Second, I'm surprised that the tow-operators spent as much time and effort as they did hooking up all that hardware under the front bumper, when there were two flip-out tow-attachments right there, on the Bronco's bumper itself staring them in the face. They could have simply attached chains or ropes to one or both of them and used that......although it's possible that if the steering system were actually broken with damage to the front axle, it might have resisted being towed straight ahead without the front end being raised.
Old 07-01-24, 01:38 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

It's quite obvious that the tie rods are broken on the front axle and so they need to get the front end off the ground. The front tow hooks are great for yanking a stuck vehicle that can still move on its own wheels, but for dragging a disabled vehicle down off a trail, it's better to just get that front end off the ground.

We don't know what caused the breakdown. Could be a manufacturing defect of the tie rods, could be the girl being an idiot behind the wheel. Stuff breaks on the trail, jeeps, broncos, land cruisers, 4runners, they all get towed.