Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Ariya

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 07:35 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like the Murano and Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross got busy and.... this is the fruit of their labor.
Old 07-15-20, 08:02 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
looks more roomy than the model Y and probably as reliable as the Leaf. If they can mass market the SUV and churn them
out as they did with the Leaf then we have a winner.

Finally the battery is actively cooled which they refused to do with the Leaf.

Press photos: https://global.nissannews.com/en/cha...014de-photos&&

I doubt its roomier than the Model Y which has 42 inches of rear leg room. The Ariya is 4 inches shorter than the Y so its actually a much smaller vehicle. But it looks like it will definitely undercuts the Model Y pricing while being slightly smaller with less performance. I think its a good move on Nissan by not competing directly with the Y and Mach E in terms of spec and pricing. The active cooling on the batteries should really help longevity as the Leaf batteries go to hell after 5 years.
Old 07-15-20, 08:08 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

I wonder why Nissan didn't put this under the infiniti brand. I feel like some consumers are going to be brand snobs and not want to pay so much for a Nissan. Not that infiniti has much brand prestige but I would assume its better than Nissan.

Not sure how I feel about the front...its not bad just different. I love the rear. Looks much better than the Model Y imo.

The interior...although I am not a fan of the minimalist interiors, I think this interior offers a nice mix between both extremes. The touch buttons look cool, not sure how good they will be to use though. Again, looks much better than the model Y interior.
Old 07-15-20, 08:24 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Model Y performance at Model 3 prices from what I've been reading. Bye-bye Tesla, it was nice knowing you. Don't let the door hit your bum on the way out!
Old 07-15-20, 08:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Model Y performance at Model 3 prices from what I've been reading. Bye-bye Tesla, it was nice knowing you. Don't let the door hit your bum on the way out!
Hmmm. Lots of people have said that before but Tesla performance is really unmatched. People are recording 4.5s to 60 in the Y and 3.5 seconds in the Performance. I suspect they will add a speed boost option in the Y soon just like the Model 3 which would get the 0-60 in the base version to be 4s flat. A full second in the 0-60 is a chasm of a difference in speed. So we will see if the extra performance from a Tesla translates into sales over the Nissan.
Old 07-15-20, 08:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Hmmm. Lots of people have said that before but Tesla performance is really unmatched. People are recording 4.5s to 60 in the Y and 3.5 seconds in the Performance. I suspect they will add a speed boost option in the Y soon just like the Model 3 which would get the 0-60 in the base version to be 4s flat. A full second in the 0-60 is a chasm of a difference in speed. So we will see if the extra performance from a Tesla translates into sales over the Nissan.
Isn't that the truth. At this point, Tesla isn't going anywhere. If anything a new entry like this, if it delivers on it's promises, will motivate Tesla and others to update and improve their products.
Old 07-15-20, 09:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I came across this Driven Car Reviews video on the Ariya. He elaborates a bit on some of the features. It looks interesting. It's about 8 min. long.

Old 07-15-20, 09:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I really like it.
Old 07-15-20, 10:03 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Its a home run for sure, and probably something Nissan dealers can finally be excited about selling. Heck sign me up for a test drive in one of these!
Old 07-15-20, 12:09 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Isn't that the truth. At this point, Tesla isn't going anywhere. If anything a new entry like this, if it delivers on it's promises, will motivate Tesla and others to update and improve their products.
Improve their products like this:
Old 07-15-20, 01:03 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Unlike the Audi E-Tron and the Jaguar I-Pace (both of which have hefty financial incentives to move units right now), Nissan has a leg up having built & sold the Leaf for so long. They, and Toyota, I think have the best chance of getting close to Tesla.
Old 07-15-20, 01:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
looks more roomy than the model Y and probably as reliable as the Leaf. If they can mass market the SUV and churn them
out as they did with the Leaf then we have a winner.

Finally the battery is actively cooled which they refused to do with the Leaf.

Press photos: https://global.nissannews.com/en/cha...014de-photos&&

The interior looks superior to that of a Tesla Y Tesla is going to really suffer when the mainstream manufactures keeping adding more models to the EV arena..
Old 07-15-20, 01:30 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

People have to realize that Nissan's goal isn't trying to top the Model Y sales. Their target sales in the first year is 30k units. Thats like a month of Model Y sales so hopefully, people don't call it a failure when the numbers aren't so great. I think the Mach E is a better car and much more compelling though so I can't wait until that launches later this year.
Old 07-15-20, 07:30 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
People have to realize that Nissan's goal isn't trying to top the Model Y sales. Their target sales in the first year is 30k units. Thats like a month of Model Y sales so hopefully, people don't call it a failure when the numbers aren't so great. I think the Mach E is a better car and much more compelling though so I can't wait until that launches later this year.
30,000 Model Y per month? Where did you get that info? Last I read the production line for the Model Y currently has a max capacity of 2205 per week. Has general assembly line 5 opened yet?

Either way, model Y sales has been no where close to 30k a month if they can only produce under 10k per month (which might have changed since July)

Last edited by Blaze876; 07-15-20 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-15-20, 07:53 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blaze876
30,000 Model Y per month? Where di you get that info? Last I read the production line for the Model Y currently has a max capacity of 2205 per week. Has general assembly line 5 opened yet?

Either way, model Y sales has been no where close to 30k a month if they can only produce under 10k per month (which might have changed since July)
At full production, it will be between 20-30k per month. They sold and made around 90k units and 80k was model 3/Y in the middle of a pandemic. They will be shifting production from 3 to Y based on demand. If you think they could sell 120k as run rate (only accounting for Fremont and China), they could produce 90k Model Ys per quarter. But maybe its an exaggeration. Even if they produce and sell 20k per month, thats only half the production at full run rate (they expected 500k units in 2020 without pandemic). I suspect the Y will be their best seller and they could sell 20-30k units per month given their production capability. Their giant German factory is opening next year and primarily dedicated to Model Y production. At that point they will target over 750k vehicles per year and the Y will be their best seller.

Quick Reply: Nissan Ariya