Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus has highest brand loyalty among luxury brands (JD Power study)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 08:07 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Lexus has highest brand loyalty among luxury brands (JD Power study)

Doubt this is much of a surprise to anyone.

As for non-premium brands:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...-loyalty-study
Old 07-15-20, 08:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,497 Posts

I don't know how Chrysler stays in business. BMW being so high is a bit of a surprise since owning one past warranty is generally a very expensive experience.
Old 07-15-20, 08:16 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I don't know how Chrysler stays in business.
Having only two vehicles in their entire lineup doesn't really help. If you mean FCA though, RAM and Jeep are doing pretty well.
Old 07-15-20, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't know how Chrysler stays in business.
Do you mean the Chrysler division (Pacifica, 300) or Chrysler Corporation itself, which is owned by Fiat?

If you are refering to Chrysler division, the answer is simple...enough people like Pacificas to keep it in production. And, for the corporation as a whole, it's Pacificas, Chargers, Challengers, and several different Jeeps that keep them going.
Old 07-15-20, 08:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,497 Posts

I'm mostly talking about Chrysler specifically. Brand loyalty in the basement means not many repeat sales. But then there is Fiat, good lord 10% is abysmal.
Old 07-16-20, 03:22 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,141 Likes on 739 Posts

J D Power rankings for Lexus: #1 in brand loyalty, #1 in lowest depreciation, #6 in dealership experience and over the last ten years #1 eight times and # 2 twice in dependability.
Old 07-16-20, 05:25 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Would have to double check, but I believe the JD Power loyalty figures do not include lease return and new lease... my last understanding of their definition of loyalty relies on an actual trade in. So Germans could be higher, as their lease penetration tends to be higher.

Old 07-16-20, 07:40 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Freds430
J D Power rankings for Lexus: #1 in brand loyalty, #1 in lowest depreciation, #6 in dealership experience and over the last ten years #1 eight times and # 2 twice in dependability.
Even with all that, you still see some make claims that JD Power is "paid off" whenever Toyota/Lexus isn't number one. It's only right when it validates one's personal beliefs apparently.
Old 07-16-20, 07:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Even with all that, you still see some make claims that JD Power is "paid off" whenever Toyota/Lexus isn't number one. It's only right when it validates one's personal beliefs apparently.
It does seem to be that way whether it's JDP, CR or comparison tests etc.
Old 07-16-20, 09:24 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
Yup, people will use whatever slice/angle of data to tell their story, rather than let the data tell the story. But of course all data has its own biases and caveats.

Confirmed that JDP loyalty metric does NOT include returning lease customers re-upping for another lease and only transactions within their dealer partner network.

Exclusions and Limitations:
  • Vehicles sold in a private party transaction or lease terminations are not included in the calculation
So, there's the angle/bias of this data set. I believe the IHS Markit data set is more commonly relied upon in the industry to track loyalty, as I believe they use actual household vehicle registration data within a span of ____ days/months to capture changes and inflow/outflow.

2019 IHS Loyalty Winners:
Manufacturer: GM
Make: Ford
Ethnic Market Loyalty to Make: Toyota
Loyalty to Dealer: Lincoln
Highest Conquest: Tesla

Car - Honda Civic
CUV - Chevrolet Equinox
Lux Car - Lexus ES
Lux CUV - Lexus RX
Luxury Sport Car - Porsche 911
Lux SUV - Range Rover
Pickup, RAM
Sport Car - Mustang
SUV - Jeep Grand Cherokee
Van - Chrysler Pacifica

THat's all that I see as publicly available.
Old 07-16-20, 09:57 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This doesn't mean much car-as-appliance market cause there are affordable cars such as Mitsubishi for those who can't afford anything better and once they do they move onto Honda, as an example.
Old 07-16-20, 10:04 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't know how Chrysler stays in business. BMW being so high is a bit of a surprise since owning one past warranty is generally a very expensive experience.
How many people actually buy BMW's vs leasing them. The top 2 positions are basically rounding errors.
Old 07-16-20, 10:06 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vladi
This doesn't mean much car-as-appliance market cause there are affordable cars such as Mitsubishi for those who can't afford anything better and once they do they move onto Honda, as an example.
I think it does mean something, obviously each OEM wants to do as much as they can to retain customers and move them up within their own hierarchy. Honda would want to move Civic buyers to CR-V or Accord or Pilot, etc. Eventually to Acura. Same as Toyota within the Toyota ranks and then ideally hand them off to their Lexus store.
Old 07-16-20, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I'm mostly talking about Chrysler specifically. Brand loyalty in the basement means not many repeat sales. But then there is Fiat, good lord 10% is abysmal.
Now, obviously I am no Chrysler fan, but if you think about this it makes sense. They only sell 2 models, an ancient sedan and a popular minivan. People only want minivans for a specific part of their life, and when they no longer want a minivan, they have nothing else within the Chrysler brand to buy...so they leave the brand. Hence, extremely low loyalty ratings.
Old 07-16-20, 12:54 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
How many people actually buy BMW's vs leasing them. The top 2 positions are basically rounding errors.
They are loyal lessee's. It's cheaper to keep leasing BMW's than financing and keeping out of warranty. Nobody wants the costly repairs. That goes for all Luxary brands. Most people lease them.

Quick Reply: Lexus has highest brand loyalty among luxury brands (JD Power study)