Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

German court bans Tesla from misleading claims about autonomy, Autopilot

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 10:09 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default German court bans Tesla from misleading claims about autonomy, Autopilot

Wording like 'full potential for autonomous driving'

FRANKFURT — Germany has banned Tesla from repeating what a court says are misleading advertising statements relating to the capabilities of the firm's driver assistance systems and to autonomous driving, a Munich judge ruled on Tuesday.

The case was brought by Germany's Wettbewerbszentrale, an industry sponsored body tasked with policing anti-competitive practices.
The Munich court agreed with the industry body's assessment and banned Tesla Germany from including "full potential for autonomous driving" and "Autopilot inclusive" in its German advertising materials. Tesla can appeal the ruling.It said such claims amounted to misleading business practices, adding that the average buyer might be given the impression that the car could drive without human intervention and might suggest such a system was now legal on German roads.

Tesla's autopilot system has drawn criticism from regulators, including from the National Transportation Safety Board in the United States, saying it lacks safeguards.

Concerns have grown about assistance systems that can perform driving tasks for extended stretches with little or no human intervention, tempting drivers to neglect their obligation to be in control of their vehicles at all times.

Tesla has said it has informed customers that its automated driver assistance technology did not amount to a fully autonomous driving system.

A spokeswoman for Tesla Germany was not immediately available to comment on Tuesday's ruling.

Tesla's Chief Executive Elon Musk said this month the electric car manufacturer was close to making its cars capable of automated driving without any need for driver input, so-called Level 5 autonomy.
Source
Old 07-16-20, 10:13 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Makes sense. I did try the stoplight / stop sign detection and it worked really well. Stops and starts were smooth. Only reason I turned it off was because it was limited to the speed limit. I take a 55 MPH 2 lane highway to work in the morning and you will get a lot of angry looks going 55 in the slower lane
Old 07-16-20, 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Makes sense. I did try the stoplight / stop sign detection and it worked really well. Stops and starts were smooth. Only reason I turned it off was because it was limited to the speed limit. I take a 55 MPH 2 lane highway to work in the morning and you will get a lot of angry looks going 55 in the slower lane
If people don't like you going 55 MPH in the right lane, the heck with them. That is exactly what the right lane is for....slower traffic. They are the ones who need to deal with it, not you.

Even in Germany, where, instead of 55, some folks are doing 155, they practice and maintain lane-discipline....faster on the left, slower on the right.
Old 07-16-20, 01:35 PM
Hoovey689

I believe he is talking about a two-lane highway. There would only be one side to drive on. So there would not be a slow right lane and fast left lane. If the traffic behind you is building up despite going the speed limit, you should probably pull over safely and let the cars pass you when you can

Old 07-16-20, 01:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

i've always had an issue with tesla calling their system autopilot when you still have to keep your hands on the wheel and even offering something called 'full self driving' when it's nothing of the sort.

and $7K for tesla's "full self driving" optional upgrade seems rather absurd for what it provides. but they're trying to leverage what they have to make revenue as fast as possible so can't blame them, but i'm glad at least the german govt has gone after them for false claims.

Old 07-16-20, 01:54 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I believe he is talking about a two-lane highway. There would only be one side to drive on. So there would not be a slow right lane and fast left lane. If the traffic behind you is building up despite going the speed limit, you should probably pull over safely and let the cars pass you when you can

Sorry, 2 lanes per direction.
Old 07-16-20, 01:59 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Allen K
Sorry, 2 lanes per direction.
In that case yeah, slow pokes move over please
Old 07-16-20, 05:21 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
In that case yeah, slow pokes move over please
Haha I go to 65 (very quickly ) and set AP. It’s completely straight for the next 15 miles and literally the most relaxing commute I’ve ever had