Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Gen RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 06:38 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Next Gen RX

Is this the concept for the next gen RX and is it moving to a RWD platform? Or will this be a completely new model?

Old 07-18-20, 08:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

That is supposed to slot in at 100k mark/flagship level.

The RX is supposed to be based on the FWD TGNA platform that the current highlander is riding upon (there are more vehicles but you get the point). Styling wise we dont know. The above concept might be hinting int he direction of what the exterior may look like or not.
Old 07-19-20, 03:17 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I cant blame him for being thinking this is the future RX. It looks very much like an evolution of the current RX styling.
Old 07-19-20, 08:47 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

That's the LF-1 Limitless. Based on the press release, seems like it's more likely to be a rear-wheel-drive, full-size luxury crossover. Doubtful that it has anything to do with the RX.

https://www.lexus.com/documents/conc...ss_Release.pdf

Having said that, it is possible that we'll see styling cues from this concept on other cars.
Old 09-29-20, 06:09 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Now with the introduction of the Venza and every manufacturer under the sun switching to RWD platforms. I really do think there is a big possibility that either the NX or RX could move to a RWD layout.

The NX doesn't make sense anymore to stay as is with the Venza now available. The Highlander is incredibly luxurious now too. I have a feeling Lexus is going to hit us with something big for the next gen RX and(or) NX. Maybe they will split the RX and RXL into two different models. Still a WAYS away though.

What do you think?
Old 09-29-20, 07:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

while the highlander and venza are stylish entries with nice interiors relatively, they're not luxury vehicles. lexus will simply step up the nx/rx/etc interiors.

Old 09-29-20, 08:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PDITTEL
Is this the concept for the next gen RX and is it moving to a RWD platform? Or will this be a completely new model?

I have thought it might go RWD, but I am not so sure. The RX is the best selling luxury vehicle, FWD is what most middle class persons expect.

I think the new Sequoia will go RWD cross over and there will be a larger Lexus version called the new GX on that model and built in the US. Further from that will be the new LS caliber crossover as well as a big body on frame LX.
Old 09-29-20, 08:31 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

As an enthusiast Lexus should go RWD, but as a business its probably going to be FWD TGNA based.

The next gen Lexus lineup is going to be interesting as hell and probably different from the status quo in imho. As I have been saying for a while, this almost decade of weird bunch of CUVs is the perfect time to reinvent their lineup.

(seater=max occupants in comfort)

UX-2 seater FWD/CUV/30k
insert a corolla hatch 3 seater FWD/CUV 36k
NX-4 seater FWD/CUV 40k
RX-5 seater RWD/CUV 45k
TX-7 seater FWD/CUV 50k
GX-6 seater RWD/SUV 65k
LX-7 seater RWD/SUV 80k
LF-1 4 seater RWD/CUV 100k

Last edited by coolsaber; 09-30-20 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 07:53 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have thought it might go RWD, but I am not so sure. The RX is the best selling luxury vehicle, FWD is what most middle class persons expect.

I think the new Sequoia will go RWD cross over and there will be a larger Lexus version called the new GX on that model and built in the US. Further from that will be the new LS caliber crossover as well as a big body on frame LX.
Explore went back to RWD and currently is one of the best selling 3 row crossovers, directly to what is more of the heart of the middle class than the RX. In the South it doesn't matter, as AWD configurations are few and far between to most OEMs that offer both. Flip is true anywhere slightly north, most OEM regions inventory only AWD.
Old 09-30-20, 08:10 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pbm317
Explore went back to RWD and currently is one of the best selling 3 row crossovers, directly to what is more of the heart of the middle class than the RX. In the South it doesn't matter, as AWD configurations are few and far between to most OEMs that offer both. Flip is true anywhere slightly north, most OEM regions inventory only AWD.
Its a tough call though. I`m out of pocket here with little to no knowledge of how Ford has the modular platform portfolio setup, but with the explorer RWD platform being shared amongst the Lincoln and Ford brands they were able to share development costs. From my understanding at least with public facing documentation, Toyota does not have a cost effective RWD architecture ready to go on a crossover (and yes it shouldnt be too hard to adapt say the current Toyota Crown or cancelled GS/next gen Mirai). TGNA has lead to some amazing new products like the highlander, and if they refine it even further for the Lexus nameplate I doubt most buyers would care (enthusiasts are another story though).
Old 09-30-20, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PDITTEL
The NX doesn't make sense anymore to stay as is with the Venza now available. The Highlander is incredibly luxurious now too.

What do you think?
Totally agree. Both the new Venza and current Highlander, IMO, are making the current NX and LX somewhat redundant. And the Highlander is more sensibly-designed for space-efficiency than the RX.