Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Santa Fe Mechanical Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 09:28 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Hyundai Santa Fe Mechanical Review

Here's a look under the hood and underneath the Hyundai Santa Fe:

The vehicle in the video is a 2019 Santa Fe with AWD and has the base 2.4L Theta 2 inline 4 cylinder carry-over engine:
Hyundai Santa Fe Mechanical Review-tuerjnz.jpg

The valve train has Variable valve timing that's electrically controlled on the intake side, and oil controlled on the exhaust side.
Hyundai Santa Fe Mechanical Review-xekv94j.jpg

Underneath, the front half is covered in plastic for aerodynamics and preventing salt water from corroding the powertrain, while the rear half is exposed.
Hyundai Santa Fe Mechanical Review-gkq7afx.jpg

Front suspension is a MacPherson strut setup:
Hyundai Santa Fe Mechanical Review-jpqugv3.jpg

While the rear suspension is a multi-link independent setup:
Hyundai Santa Fe Mechanical Review-sosonwg.jpg

Hyundai Santa Fe Mechanical Review-l8qpgns.jpg

The rear rebar is made of plastic.... I guess everything is moving towards light weighting now.
Hyundai Santa Fe Mechanical Review-mdrl3le.jpg

Here's a look at the engine and transmission setup from beneath. The front rad support is also plastic so you have to jack it up from the front subframe mid-way under the car.

Hyundai Santa Fe Mechanical Review-7pjknea.jpg

Enjoy
Old 07-20-20, 12:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting video. I learn the most from your videos. Holy plastic when looking at the engine... Strange to see an electric variable valve timing intake, but a oil variable timing exhaust yet a mechanical water pump....Didn't know the engine was a 10 years old design....sad to see the leaking transmission at just 46K and the exhaust joint rotting....Looks like Hyundai cut corners like most manufacturers......I thought I saw "Japan" on one of the rubber brake lines ...my brother has a Santa Fe XL, his has been pretty good. The interior, price, warranty and value is what makes a Hyundai a good buy, not generally the powertrain or chassis design...Thanks for all your hard work!

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-20-20 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-20-20, 02:52 PM
ThomasD94
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

great video, thank you
Old 07-20-20, 07:41 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Interesting video. I learn the most from your videos. Holy plastic when looking at the engine... Strange to see an electric variable valve timing intake, but a oil variable timing exhaust yet a mechanical water pump....Didn't know the engine was a 10 years old design....sad to see the leaking transmission at just 46K and the exhaust joint rotting....Looks like Hyundai cut corners like most manufacturers......I thought I saw "Japan" on one of the rubber brake lines ...my brother has a Santa Fe XL, his has been pretty good. The interior, price, warranty and value is what makes a Hyundai a good buy, not generally the powertrain or chassis design...Thanks for all your hard work!
Thanks, I'm glad you learned from it. I agree, Hyundai's are a great overall value but you can tell underneath where they cut corners (where the customers can't see) to bring features that the customers can see (Android auto, autonomous braking, etc). Sadly, all cars are using more and more plastics in the name of cost savings and lighter weight, and replace-ability (instead of repairing a metal one).

Originally Posted by ThomasD94
great video, thank you
You are welcome.
Old 07-21-20, 04:31 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Good stuff - my mom bought a '20 a few months ago and loves it. I watched this to learn a bit more. Nice job!
Old 07-22-20, 03:12 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

i've stumbled upon your videos due to the youtube algorithm and am very glad i did! i've learned a lot recently especially why subaru boxer engines fail and the infamous VVTi startup rattle. this video is the most comprehensive one i've seen yet - full vehicle!

love your signature styles; toothbrush pointer, utilizing used undergarments to clean oily bits, and of course the final toss at the end!