Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rules Of Getting On Highway....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 08:03 AM
PAPASMURF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rules Of Getting On Highway....

Have these changed? Example: Coming on down the on ramp, I was taught to speed up so that you can merge with the flow of traffic and not cause a back up. These folks now days slow down then try to merge with folks rolling at 65 +. I understand all that safety first stuff and circumstances and whatever... but I was just wondering if I'm the only idiot speeding up coming down the on ramp!

Example 2: Getting off the highway, Again I was taught to continue at a reasonable speed til you get about half way up the off ramp cause you have people behind you that are getting off also. These folks now days slow down before they even hit the damn ramp!

Now I realize I've been driving for some 30 some odd years (got my DL at 16) and they may have changed how things are taught but these people are killing me! LOL!!!! Anyway, just wanted to vent a little this great Marine Corps Day!

Peace all.
Old 09-10-03, 08:29 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

You're not the only one, I notice it too. I find the highway entrance ramp to be the only spot for me to accelerate like a mad man.

As for the exit ramp -- when I had drivers ed (3 years ago) we were told to only slow down ONCE you are on the exit ramp, not before. From personal experience, even though I've only been driving for 3 years (with exposure to such crazy driving *ahem* bitkahuna *ahem* 1sicklex *ahem*), I find that there are some damn near close accidents because of dumbarses slamming on the brakes prior to exiting.
Old 09-10-03, 08:30 AM
93 LS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate when that happens...

Old 09-10-03, 08:32 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

I think the rules for driving on the freeway in general have changed.

1) The right lane is the SAFEST, drive nice and slow and follow the car in front of you closely so no one can "cut you off."

2) If you see someone trying to enter or exit, ignore them. Not your problem.

Old 09-10-03, 08:38 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

the on-ramp thing kills me, in Washington the freeway speed limit was a posted 70 where i lived and you get these idiots trying to merge at 45

i agree with PAPA, get up to speed on the on-ramp and wait to slow down until you are actually on the off-ramp.
Old 09-10-03, 08:52 AM
PAPASMURF
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pianoman72
[B]."

2) If you see someone trying to enter or exit, ignore them. Not your problem.

Thats another thing that drives me nuts!!! Whatever happend to moving over and letting people on or slowing down (if you can without causing accidents) to let folks get over or off. Now I do know that they teach that if you are in the #4 lane you do not have to get over, but common courtesey should prevail and move over if you can.
Old 09-10-03, 08:57 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

haha i start going about 60 on the feder prior to getting on the freeway then i just cut over 3 lanes its great slowing down i just get off judge pace and match or get in front of people
Old 09-10-03, 09:15 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

I don't merge, i outrun
Old 09-10-03, 10:22 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't condone the following method (because of potential risk and not for everyone), but from my experience I think it helps to turn your head around (not literally of course ) while speeding up the highway entrance ramp so that you can clearly scan through the passenger windows, and merge into the flow of traffic without creating a backup along the ramp. You also gotta watch out for the car/truck in front of you on the ramp, so this is kinda why it's a risky move.

Operating your turn signals when merging helps a lot too
Old 09-10-03, 10:54 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

using turn signals just gives the guy next to you enough warning to block you from getting in front of him, at least that seems to be the mindset of most these days yeah use them turn signals!
Old 09-10-03, 01:56 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by onelasttry
I don't merge, i outrun
ditto. I dont even need to look back. enter at 60mph? heck i enter at 90, pass some people, get in the 2nd fastest lane and find a nice pace. i've tried going slow and i can swear im not as safe as going 90. i dont care what anyone says.
Old 09-10-03, 02:46 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by SCRUFFDOGG
using turn signals just gives the guy next to you enough warning to block you from getting in front of him, at least that seems to be the mindset of most these days yeah use them turn signals!
I notice this too. Very frustrating. It changes your usage from "I'd like to change lane. Please let me in. Thank you." to near the last minute "I'm coming in and here is your warning and you have no time to react and block me."
Old 09-10-03, 02:54 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just make sure to speed to above 100 mph so people fear me coming.

Chris
Old 09-10-03, 02:57 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
I notice this too. Very frustrating. It changes your usage from "I'd like to change lane. Please let me in. Thank you." to near the last minute "I'm coming in and here is your warning and you have no time to react and block me."
haha thats soooo true... if you signal before you start moving over, they go and block you so I end up cutting them off or gettign angry.. now if I signal a second before I change lanes or signal while changing lanes they dont have a chance to block me
Old 09-10-03, 03:04 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by onelasttry
I don't merge, i outrun
or out-manuever in my IS

Quick Reply: Rules Of Getting On Highway....