Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good News....L.A. Show a go for November 20-29, 2020

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 01:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I have to agree that this will likely be cancelled this year, ....... and so will the 2021 Tokyo Olympics(for good)
Old 07-26-20, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, folks, I just posted what was on the show's website as of today. If the level of COV-ID infections in the state warrants it, the show is still four months away, and, yes, could be cancelled. As of today, it's still on, but probably not set in stone.
Old 07-27-20, 08:50 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 509 Likes on 442 Posts

My brother & I love to go to these shows ever year...looks like we're not going this yr thou....Good health to all.
Old 07-27-20, 05:23 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

All the automakers I've spoken with feel like the nails are being put in the auto show coffin and they're okay with it. They're all doing pretty crazy online and multichannel media debuts. The F-150 debut was online, and the Bronco was on all of the ABC/Disney empire outlets at once. Imagine the eyeballs they got. The automakers are then sending early vehicles quickly through the automotive press fleet operations to get to all the immediate channels for reviews and exposure.
Old 07-27-20, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
All the automakers I've spoken with feel like the nails are being put in the auto show coffin and they're okay with it. They're all doing pretty crazy online and multichannel media debuts. The F-150 debut was online, and the Bronco was on all of the ABC/Disney empire outlets at once. Imagine the eyeballs they got. The automakers are then sending early vehicles quickly through the automotive press fleet operations to get to all the immediate channels for reviews and exposure.
^^^ yup... waaaaaaaay more exposure than a regional auto show and probably waaaaaay cheaper.

you want to sit in it? Go to the dealer. Or these days many will bring it to you.
Old 07-27-20, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^^^ I understand what you guys are saying, but I simply don't see where there is any real alternative to a traditional new-vehicle auto show. Yes, alternate methods and policies may make it a little safer from a pandemic standpoint, but there is simply no substitute for having most or all of the vehicles available in that country's market all together, under one large roof, for each comparison of one to another. Look at someone who wants a small crossover, for example. In the U.S. market alone, he or she has probably close to a dozen in the Class B (subcompact) crossover class and another dozen or two in the Class C (compact) crossover class. (I covered at least a part of that huge choice in my recent Kia Seltos review). Thats's simply unfeasible to try and do at one's house, with jockeys from the dealerships ferrying the vehicles to your street or driveway.
Old 07-28-20, 05:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
^^^^^ I understand what you guys are saying, but I simply don't see where there is any real alternative to a traditional new-vehicle auto show. Yes, alternate methods and policies may make it a little safer from a pandemic standpoint, but there is simply no substitute for having most or all of the vehicles available in that country's market all together, under one large roof, for each comparison of one to another. Look at someone who wants a small crossover, for example. In the U.S. market alone, he or she has probably close to a dozen in the Class B (subcompact) crossover class and another dozen or two in the Class C (compact) crossover class. (I covered at least a part of that huge choice in my recent Kia Seltos review). Thats's simply unfeasible to try and do at one's house, with jockeys from the dealerships ferrying the vehicles to your street or driveway.
Most people are considering -- at most -- 5 different cars. To go, at one time in a year, to visit an entire auto show, just to sit in -- not drive -- 5 different cars, is *maybe* beneficial. And that's if you are lucky enough that they have a model in the trim you are looking for. You, me, many of us here, actually enjoy going to the auto show, even when we are not in the market; I enjoy it more when I'm not considering a new car. That's not necessarily the case for the general public. My wife despises it, and will now only consider going if it's a year that we are planning on buying her a new car. But the fact of the matter is, for those shoppers, a morning going from dealer to dealer to sit in, test drive, and get a really long look at the cars you are interested in is so much more beneficial--and so much less risky--than going to the car show. Not just 60 seconds in the driver's seat because there's 5 people and their kids lined up to sit in it after you. I went car shopping last year, and the Mazda, Honda and Hyundai dealer were all within 100 yards of each other; and there was also Kia, Nissan and Toyota within 1/2 mile if I looked at those too.

The car show has its benefits--people who may have no idea what they are interested in. But this year, it's just not worth the risk.

Last edited by tex2670; 07-28-20 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-28-20, 11:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I love car shows too, but I would be shocked if this actually happened.
Old 07-29-20, 04:48 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 509 Likes on 442 Posts

I like going to the show w/ my brother, its just something we do every yr, obviously not this year thou.....
Old 07-29-20, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not just 60 seconds in the driver's seat because there's 5 people and their kids lined up to sit in it after you.
You'd be surprised what you can learn in just 60 seconds....or even 30, especially when you have done it so many times, in thousands of different vehicles, for half a century, like I have.
Old 07-29-20, 10:10 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

probably not gonna happen.

there's no way to maintain physical distancing.

Just look at your local supermarket.

Unless they make you wait in long lines and give you 60 seconds to sit in a car.
Old 07-30-20, 05:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You'd be surprised what you can learn in just 60 seconds....or even 30, especially when you have done it so many times, in thousands of different vehicles, for half a century, like I have.
I know you (and I) will miss canceled auto shows, but you are missing the big picture, and the main point, here. A November auto show--particularly in a state as hard hit as CA, is a public health disaster waiting to happen. The Philly show brings in 250,000 attendees--I can only imagine LA is 1.5-2x that. If you need a car this year, or next year, DO NOT GO TO A CAR SHOW. Go to the dealer. Or see if the dealer will bring the car to you. Then you don't need to learn anything in 60 or 30 seconds, and you greatly increase the chances you'll be alive and well to enjoy the car when you get it. The risks associated with carrying on an event like this are not worth it. Period.

We all need to do things differently for the foreseeable future; we need to re-train our brains to do things differently than we are used to, and figure out how to accept that change, rather than rush back to old habits. We shouldn't celebrate the return of the LA Auto Show in November--we should challenge the thinking behind why this is necessary, and question whether it is wise.

Last edited by tex2670; 07-30-20 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-30-20, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I know you (and I) will miss canceled auto shows, but you are missing the big picture, and the main point, here. A November auto show--particularly in a state as hard hit as CA, is a public health disaster waiting to happen. The Philly show brings in 250,000 attendees--I can only imagine LA is 1.5-2x that. If you need a car this year, or next year, DO NOT GO TO A CAR SHOW. Go to the dealer. Or see if the dealer will bring the car to you. Then you don't need to learn anything in 60 or 30 seconds, and you greatly increase the chances you'll be alive and well to enjoy the car when you get it. The risks associated with carrying on an event like this are not worth it. Period.

We all need to do things differently for the foreseeable future; we need to re-train our brains to do things differently than we are used to, and figure out how to accept that change, rather than rush back to old habits. We shouldn't celebrate the return of the LA Auto Show in November--we should challenge the thinking behind why this is necessary, and question whether it is wise.
Well, three things. First, with all due respect, you can hold the sermon for a minute.......it's not a question of either me or you "getting it". Whether the show is publicly held or not is out of our hands....it will be up to the manufacturers/sponsors and the L.A. authorites. I can only post what is on the public website at this time...that could change tomorrow. Second, no one (me included) is advocating going back to the unfettered/unregulated policies of the past. If the show IS held, I'm pretty certain it will be held with a number of restrictions...those restrictions will probably be dependent on the condition or status of the pandemic in the Los Angeles area at that time. Third, I understand your point about looking at vehicles at the dealership (and do so enough times myself)....but it is still far easier to do it all under one roof. They hold those big shows for a reason, although, yes, I agree that we do have a limited ability to do it on line or in virtual reality.

Oh, and a fourth reason...I'm a cheapskate. I go because I get free show-tickets. (just kidding)

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-20 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-30-20, 06:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Its just not going to happen, at least not in the way we are accustomed to it. It makes no sense to have a car show and host that many people inside and risk an outbreak.

Now, might they operate the press side of it? They might. They might use it as a digital platform for releasing new models, sure. But its not going to be a convention center full of cars to sit in open to the public.
Old 07-30-20, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its just not going to happen, at least not in the way we are accustomed to it.

Well, if it doesn't...wouldn't be the first wasted thread on Car Chat LOL.

Quick Reply: Good News....L.A. Show a go for November 20-29, 2020