Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good News....L.A. Show a go for November 20-29, 2020

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 07:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Good News....L.A. Show a go for November 20-29, 2020

A little early to mention it, maybe, but I thought I'd bring up some potential Good News.....after the pandemic cancelled several major auto shows earlier in the year, the Los Angeles Auto Show is apparantly now a go for November 20-29, 2020. Tickets will go on sale in September. I don't see anything in the media iron the show's website to show tat it will be cancelled this year, though the date is being moved up a little this year. Might interfere with Thanksgiving-week travel-plans and Black-Friday shopping for those big-screen TVs LOL, but, on the other hand, I've always felt that a nice auto show helps enhance a holiday, and makes it that much more special a time. For example, here in the D.C. area, I miss having the show, in the old Convention Center, before the new one was built, during the Christmas/New-Year's time-frame. It would typically start between December 26-28, and end January 2-4. Made all of the holiday festivities that much more special. But, when they built the new D.C. Convention Center (which, at the time, cost over $1 billion) they shifted the show's dates to late January, a couple of weeks after the big Detroit show, so that Members of Congress could find it easier to attend...most of them are back at home in their districts over the Christmas/New Year's time-frame.

Of course, things could change if there is a repeat of the pandemic in California between now and November, or if the Governor or State/Municipal authorities find reason to once again cancel the L.A. show, but, for now, it seems to be on.

https://laautoshow.com

And here's the web-site for tickets:

https://laautoshow.com/tickets/

The show's management hasn't released all of the upcoming displays yet, but I suspect some of the most interesting new ones will be from Ford.....Bronco, Bronco Sport, and hybrid (and possibly EV) F-150. Hopefully, Buick's much-improved and sharp-looking 2021 Envision will also be there. Also wouldn't be surprised to see the new Toyota Sienna, Kia Sedona, and Chrysler Pacifica minivans.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-25-20 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-25-20, 12:56 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

So this will be where the 3rd wave of COVID will stem from.
Old 07-25-20, 02:04 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

My bet is that Newsom cancels that when it gets near November. I wouldn't count on it being open.
Old 07-25-20, 02:37 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Yeah, I'd be fairly surprised if this actually happens. That would be great if it does, however, since that would suggest things have turned for the better.
Old 07-25-20, 03:04 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^ Yeah, I'd be fairly surprised if this actually happens. That would be great if it does, however, since that would suggest things have turned for the better.
Even if it doesn't open, I wouldn't go without a vaccine. Too risky these days...i'd only consider it if they held it outdoors somewhere. Indoors is too dangerous...
Old 07-25-20, 05:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

[---politics deleted---]

Cant wait for all car shows and events to return.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-27-20 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-25-20, 06:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Folks, please leave politics totally off our forum per our rules.
Old 07-25-20, 11:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I highly doubt it will happen. Things are out of control in Los Angeles, and the virus is not going to be anywhere close to gone or under control come November. Holding any sort of mass indoor gathering this year would set things in a backward direction.

Old 07-26-20, 03:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Even if it doesn't open, I wouldn't go without a vaccine. Too risky these days...i'd only consider it if they held it outdoors somewhere. Indoors is too dangerous...
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I highly doubt it will happen. Things are out of control in Los Angeles, and the virus is not going to be anywhere close to gone or under control come November. Holding any sort of mass indoor gathering this year would set things in a backward direction.

Can't say this for a fact, but what I suspect will happen is that show-admittance, and the number of people being allowed to enter, will be regulated, like it currently is in many other public places. Face-masks will probably be required. At least some social-distancing will probably be implemented, but, granted, that's difficult to implement or enforce with large crowds. There will probably be cleaning-crews out on the floor, periodically wiping down the interiors of the vehicles after people are sitting in them. There will probably be hand-sanitizer dispensers set up the display areas of each manufacturer or show-sponsor....which are kept refilled. Might even be stations giving out rubber gloves if requested. Whatever they do (or don't do) there in terms of adjusting for the pandemic, it is almost certain not to be like a normal show would have been, or business as usual.

Given the huge amount of money that the auto manufacturers spend at these big auto shows (prizes, test-drive-loops, consolation-gifts, souvenirs, gift-card-offers, etc...., besides the expenses of their own personnel and vehicles there, what it would cost for hand-sanitizers, gloves, reduced-spacing, and a higher-level of cleaning and sanitation would probably be a drop in the bucket. And at least some of the cleaning costs might probably be picked up by the Convention Center itself, as an incentive to get auto manufacturers and sponsors to come.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-26-20 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-26-20, 07:48 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i really doubt this will be taking place. it's a go for now, but it'll be canceled as it's really right around the corner and we are accounting for 25% of the world's cases while only having a population of 325M people roughly.

highly unlikely that this event is going to take place in november even with restricted crowds and face masks required because people are touching EVERYTHING. this event isn't going to happen, at least in november, unfortunately.
Old 07-26-20, 09:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not call this "good news". LA is on the verge of re-issuing stay-at-home orders. This is the reason why--mixed messaging.

The Philly Auto Show is normally scheduled for February. '21 will be the first time since I moved to Philly in '97 that I will miss it--whether it takes place or not.
Old 07-26-20, 09:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
this event isn't going to happen, at least in november, unfortunately.
I have to agree with you, not going to happen. The big automakers will likely pull out if the event was to go forward anyways.
Old 07-26-20, 10:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Given the huge amount of money that the auto manufacturers spend at these big auto shows (prizes, test-drive-loops, consolation-gifts, souvenirs, gift-card-offers, etc...., besides the expenses of their own personnel and vehicles there, what it would cost for hand-sanitizers, gloves, reduced-spacing, and a higher-level of cleaning and sanitation would probably be a drop in the bucket. And at least some of the cleaning costs might probably be picked up by the Convention Center itself, as an incentive to get auto manufacturers and sponsors to come.
if there's mandated reduced attendance, the goal of an auto show (exposure), is made even more difficult.

maybe they'll rename the convention center "COVID Hall"

i hope it's cancelled.
Old 07-26-20, 10:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if there's mandated reduced attendance, the goal of an auto show (exposure), is made even more difficult.

maybe they'll rename the convention center "COVID Hall"

i hope it's cancelled.
Agreed. There is absolutely no practical way to make an event like that safe.
Old 07-26-20, 11:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Agreed. There is absolutely no practical way to make an event like that safe.
Sure there is. Do what the comic-con did...go completely virtual

Quick Reply: Good News....L.A. Show a go for November 20-29, 2020