Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 11:50 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Not anymore. I sold the LS last year to get the S . Similar to OP's experience, after test driving a coworker's Model 3 I couldn't wipe the smile off my face and had to get a Tesla. Model S and LS are both phenomenal cars, but at opposite ends of the spectrum.
Agreed. I still love my GS and think it's fantastic for what it is. The balance of sport and luxury is excellent and is a true Grand Touring car as "GS" (Grand Sedan) suggests. I've driven every model in the Lexus lineup (including F cars) and I think it's one of the best cars Lexus has ever done in that it's a terrific expression of the brand, but the Tesla is just next-level. I've loved my Lexus experience over the last ~6 years with 2 GS F-Sports. I have tremendous respect and appreciation for the brand, but I think I'm ready to see what the Tesla experience is like and all that entails, quality issues and all.
Old 07-26-20, 02:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Agreed. I still love my GS and think it's fantastic for what it is. The balance of sport and luxury is excellent and is a true Grand Touring car as "GS" (Grand Sedan) suggests. I've driven every model in the Lexus lineup (including F cars) and I think it's one of the best cars Lexus has ever done in that it's a terrific expression of the brand, but the Tesla is just next-level. I've loved my Lexus experience over the last ~6 years with 2 GS F-Sports. I have tremendous respect and appreciation for the brand, but I think I'm ready to see what the Tesla experience is like and all that entails, quality issues and all.
If you want something sportier with better quality, take a look at the Model 3 Performance. It has most of the bugs ironed out and with track mode, you can customize the drivetrain and drive it hard until you run out of charge without overheating. Also, 0-60 runs in 3 seconds flat and you'll do mid 11 sec in the quarter mile consistently. Nothing Lexus makes is remotely close in Performance right now. A lot of aftermarket suspensions will make the car a track beast too. The stock suspension is a little too soft for real track duty.

I hear the Model Y Performance will also get track mode eventually but who knows when that will be available.
Old 07-26-20, 05:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

To be fair almost nothing can keep up with a Tesla regardless of price.
Old 07-26-20, 07:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
^^^ There's no going back to regular gas/diesel once you experience some form of electric, even in hybrid form. Tesla's big draw is styling/tech and blazing fast electric torque. Not to mention the handling. It's going to take some time for infrastructure to catch up. But once it does, there would be a cost/benefit shift in many major towns and cities. The herd will always take the smart and quick path. You have to make it viable for car buyers.

One thing Tesla needs to fix is the integrated smart screen control UI. You don't need to dive into multiple menus just to change the airflow of the vents or change the heat/ac.
There is. It's nothing compared to real power you can only get from ICE cars, go have a ride in a 1000whp car sometime and experience a 85-165 pull. Tesla's can't even hit that speed
Old 07-26-20, 07:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
To be fair almost nothing can keep up with a Tesla regardless of price.
unless you like getting tickets or having to immediately slow after that exciting soundless 3 seconds though, i have to say, what's the point? i wish tesla offered a vehicle with 500 mi. range and 0-60 in 6 seconds.
Old 07-26-20, 08:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
unless you like getting tickets or having to immediately slow after that exciting soundless 3 seconds though, i have to say, what's the point? i wish tesla offered a vehicle with 500 mi. range and 0-60 in 6 seconds.
3 second roller coasters are pretty fun I hear the Plaid powertrain for the Model S/X are coming. Cybertruck will be able to have 500 miles of range with the tri-motor. Here is hoping that powertrain is available for the S/X giving it the same 500 miles of range. The S can do 400 miles (EPA)...of course thats driving at 60mph with no headwinds
Old 07-26-20, 09:00 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Ya, I just passed on a GTS 4.0 allocation for much the same reason. Dropping $50k+ out of pocket for a 52hp bump I'll rarely ever utilize seems absurd - even rather donate the money to charity at that point TBH.

I never got the appeal that accelerating quickly in a straight line seems to have with so many people. That's never excited me.
Old 07-26-20, 10:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

i wish tesla offered a vehicle with 500 mi. range and 0-60 in 6 seconds.
Why limit your choice to Tesla?
Old 07-27-20, 01:05 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
i have the GS450h and can’t go back to petrol only GS. It spends quite a lot of time in EV mode in heavy traffic so you do get to experience a short period of a EV car in a Lexus body.
Old 07-27-20, 06:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

I do miss the interior in my old GS. Aside from the AWD hump and the lag in the infotainment, I loved that thing. That being said, My 3P is the best daily driver I've ever had. Stupid fast, AP handles most of my commute, and I don't have to visit the gas station anymore. Plus, with my solar panels knocking out most of my electricity bill (I pay $2/month in the summer months) I don't feel any desire to drive economically at all

There's 1 red dual motor Y that popped up in my neighborhood last month. It looks nice, but Tesla needs to figure out a way to make an SUV that doesn't look so frumpy.
Old 07-27-20, 07:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
I do miss the interior in my old GS. Aside from the AWD hump and the lag in the infotainment, I loved that thing. That being said, My 3P is the best daily driver I've ever had. Stupid fast, AP handles most of my commute, and I don't have to visit the gas station anymore. Plus, with my solar panels knocking out most of my electricity bill (I pay $2/month in the summer months) I don't feel any desire to drive economically at all

There's 1 red dual motor Y that popped up in my neighborhood last month. It looks nice, but Tesla needs to figure out a way to make an SUV that doesn't look so frumpy.
I'm averaging 350 wh/mi these days because I don't commute anymore. I only drive it to go fast now. I have a net surplus of solar right now so I guess the charging costs are free.

The Model Y is nice looking though. When my minivan dies, my wife wants a Tesla so I'm hoping we get a Model Y with even longer range by that time. It would be nice having an EV that could do over 400 miles for road trips.
Old 07-27-20, 07:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm averaging 350 wh/mi these days because I don't commute anymore. I only drive it to go fast now. I have a net surplus of solar right now so I guess the charging costs are free.

The Model Y is nice looking though. When my minivan dies, my wife wants a Tesla so I'm hoping we get a Model Y with even longer range by that time. It would be nice having an EV that could do over 400 miles for road trips.
Haha, I'm at like ~275. My commute has limited stops and I can cruise along at 60-65 in the 55 with limited stoplights. I do manage to get some good takeoffs at the stoplights The Y is too small for us to cut the minivan as we need the third row when our folks come to visit. I've looked at the X for the extra space, but my MIL is on her second and it has had more than its fair share of issues.
Old 07-27-20, 08:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Nice post! I agree on some points on EVs. I need to see about the Y, have driven a couple different Model 3s though, including an AWD version. Not as quick as the Performance, but close enough I'd say? It was definitely a whiplash machine. Fun to drive, though I wouldn't say "sporty" - perfect for a daily. I have to disagree no not going back to ICE-powered cars though. I definitely still kinda appreciate the theater but then EVs have their own novelty as well. Depends on what the purpose of the car is.
Old 07-27-20, 08:58 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Nice post! I agree on some points on EVs. I need to see about the Y, have driven a couple different Model 3s though, including an AWD version. Not as quick as the Performance, but close enough I'd say? It was definitely a whiplash machine. Fun to drive, though I wouldn't say "sporty" - perfect for a daily. I have to disagree no not going back to ICE-powered cars though. I definitely still kinda appreciate the theater but then EVs have their own novelty as well. Depends on what the purpose of the car is.
For a daily, the EVs hard hard to beat but someday, when my kids are gone, I will have a small 6speed manual Miata in my driveway.
Old 07-27-20, 01:59 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

cool read! i agree after driving my friend's model 3 that it was exhilarating but i still love ICE vehicles. call me old fashioned but i enjoy listening to the engine as it climbs to the redline!
aural sensation is part of the driving experience - i might make an exception for the VW ID.R racecar or formula e...maybe!

Quick Reply: My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance