Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 01:11 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
My Colleague has a Model S and even that feels cheap inside even though the outside looks nice.
Probably because the wood is recycled and the leather is fake, oh sorry- "vegan", as Tesla marketing lingo claims.

That being said, I really like what Tesla is doing, but they definitely cannot be compared to other luxury brands, because what they're trying to achieve is completely different. The only reason they are compared to luxury brands is because of their high price point and exclusive badge status- things that will wear off over time as they continue producing more vehicles, lowering costs and becoming more mainstream. There is no brand that comes close to making an EV on their level. But Tesla can't compete with the luxury brands on pure luxury and quality either, nor are they trying to.
Old 07-28-20, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Probably because the wood is recycled and the leather is fake, oh sorry- "vegan", as Tesla marketing lingo claims.
Its not that at all, its the other plastics, its the fit and finish, its the design of the interior, exposed bolts and seat rails, switchgear etc. IMHO a Model S feels like a $25,000 car with leather and wood inside.
Old 07-28-20, 02:15 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I request nothing beyond the thickly cushioned luxury of seats available even in soft Corinthian naugahyde.
Old 07-28-20, 02:17 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To me, the vehicle impresses you for it’s EV powertrain and tech, or it doesn’t impress. To me, I can’t get past the goofy looks and the spartan interiors and the poor build quality. I really like well made things. All the things I own are well made and impress me from a tactile standpoint, and Teslas are way, way behind in that standpoint.

For instance I just bought a YETI tumbler. Sounds silly, but I’ve been admiring it all day. Great quality, I love the precision with how the little magnetic cover pops into place with such precision. I just like nice stuff. The Teslas cheapness inside would bug me every time I sit in it.

At this point an EV would be doable for me, at least in normal driving, but Teslas don’t do it for me yet. Model S is the only one I think is attractive, and it falls down inside. Non Tesla EVs don’t have the range or infrastructure.
I thought the refreshed pout reminded me of Donald Duck, but the Model S's canopy, rump and rear 3/4 view is so sexy.
The chrome trim around the swoopy canopy is gorgeous; 5LS could clone Model S styling.
The flares on the rear wheel arches and rump are gorgeous.
The hood and headlights are nice too.
The front skirt is okay.
The wheels a trifle bland.

Old 07-28-20, 02:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I didnt like the refreshed nose at first either, but its really grown on me. Beatiful car IMO. The Model S is the only beautiful Tesla though, the rest of them are all goofy looking.

I saw a Model Y today at the mall...nothing attractive about that vehicle IMO. Model 3 s better, but I wouldn't call it beautiful either.
Old 07-28-20, 02:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I didnt like the refreshed nose at first either, but its really grown on me. Beatiful car IMO. The Model S is the only beautiful Tesla though, the rest of them are all goofy looking.

I saw a Model Y today at the mall...nothing attractive about that vehicle IMO. Model 3 s better, but I wouldn't call it beautiful either.
I like the roadster best. So nice looking. I wish they would have made the model 3 a 3/4ths version of the S but it's most like a super deformed anime version of the S. I think it's non offensive and isn't ugly but didn't move me like the 3IS I had in terms of looks.
Old 07-28-20, 03:04 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its the drivetrain response, not just acceleration, that is the highlight of the vehicle for many. Its faaaaaar more responsive than any ICE due to instant, on demand torque and no gears to worry about ever. Feels like a giant slot car... you press and it goes
This is what sold me on the EV/Tesla experience more so than the 0-60 runs. This is what ruined ICE vehicles and all their gears for me. They feel archaic comparatively. It's like going back to one of the first generation iPhones after using the current 11 Pro.
Old 07-28-20, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I like the roadster best. So nice looking. I wish they would have made the model 3 a 3/4ths version of the S but it's most like a super deformed anime version of the S. I think it's non offensive and isn't ugly but didn't move me like the 3IS I had in terms of looks.
I didnt even think about the roadster. So add that to what I like too haha
Old 07-28-20, 03:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

My next door neighbor just bought a new Model S in Pearl White with the 21" Carbon Wheels. It's the first model S I've checked out up close. It looks great. Model S styling has an almost timeless look to it. I think it will continue to age well.
Old 07-28-20, 03:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, agreed.
Old 07-28-20, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
My next door neighbor just bought a new Model S in Pearl White with the 21" Carbon Wheels. It's the first model S I've checked out up close. It looks great. Model S styling has an almost timeless look to it. I think it will continue to age well.
congrats to your neighbor!

it's a great looking car, but what are you thoughts on the interior? They've definitely improved things over the years.
Old 07-28-20, 09:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

it's a great looking car, but what are you thoughts on the interior? They've definitely improved things over the years.
When I last test drove Model S back in 2016, it did not have ceiling mounted grab handles, so every time one of us dumped the Model S into a corner or roundabout, the rear passengers would slide to the opposing side of the "flat" anti-bucket rear seats with no ceiling mounted grab handles.
Old 07-29-20, 01:48 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

is this place in norcal?

I've never seen such nice apartments and wide streets and green down here.
Old 07-29-20, 02:57 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
is this place in norcal?

I've never seen such nice apartments and wide streets and green down here.
SoCal, minutes from LAX and the beach
Old 07-29-20, 05:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Considering what he paid, and the sexy exterior the interior was.a let down. Didn't do anything for me personally. All things considered not a car for me but I like lookin' at it.

Quick Reply: My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance