Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 07:56 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Y adds 6 inches of rear legroom and a ton more cargo area sacrificing only 0.3 seconds to 60mph. Of course handling is compromised due to it being taller and heavier. The Y Performance is an 11 second quarter mile SUV. How crazy is that
That's interesting. I didn't see/feel the extra 6 inches of rear legroom. The extra toe room and higher seat height was what produced the extra leg room for me. But you're right, I can't stretch my legs straight in the rear of the S like I could in the Y -- so the S doesn't have the Y beat in every metric.

I stared at the trunk of the Y for awhile, imagining if it would indeed hold more than our S (accounting for subtrunk and frunk). Visually, I thought no, or at least not much more. There's more cargo height in the Y but less width.
Old 08-06-20, 08:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Y adds 6 inches of rear legroom and a ton more cargo area sacrificing only 0.3 seconds to 60mph. Of course handling is compromised due to it being taller and heavier. The Y Performance is an 11 second quarter mile SUV. How crazy is that
Not really crazy when it has 450hp and 471lbft
Old 08-06-20, 08:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not really crazy when it has 450hp and 471lbft
Actually, thats not the real horsepower number. Tesla only hinted at 450hp when it first launched the Model 3. There have been 2 significant power bumps since then and the Model Y outputs more kilowatts than the Model 3. The Model 3 has been measured around ~550hp...the forums think the Model Y is somewhere around 570hp. It make sense...the Model 3 is a low 11 second car. The M3 is around 450hp now and gets annihilated in a straightline so the Model 3 has to be pushing way north of 500hp to get those times.
Old 08-06-20, 09:55 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Curious as to what's pushing you towards the Y Performance over the 3 Performance?
Not entirely against the Model 3 but I've been seeing them non-stop since they came out in mid 2017 or so. I'm sure the Model Y will suffer the same fate soon enough, but I like that it's at least on the rarer side for now. I'm also 6'4 and one of the biggest issues I've had with my GS was headroom since day one. If my hair is anything longer than a buzzcut, it constantly hits or brushes against the headliner which drives me nuts. I have to recline my seat gangster-style to avoid that, which I also don't love lol. I liked the added headroom in the Model Y and I liked that I was able to sit behind myself and sit fully upright without hitting my head against the ceiling.

The Model Y also drove very Model 3-like in regards to handling. You really don't give up much compared to the 3 despite being higher off the ground and heavier I'm sure.

Lastly, I like that the Model Y is more "substantial" in presence. As I'm sure you know, the GS is a fairly big sedan with a good amount of presence in real life. I can't help but feel like going to the Model 3 would be a "downgrade" in this aspect, kind of like going from a mid-size to a compact. I feel like the Model Y strikes a nice middle ground in this aspect.

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I respect your position but could not disagree more. After driving both the X and Y back-to-back along the exact same loop, the Y ride quality was a dealbreaker for me whereas I came away extremely impressed with how far the X has come since my last test drive.

After owning a Raven S I could start to see the shortcomings of the 3/Y UI and where they cut corners, and this is coming from someone that likes the minimalist interior design of the 3/Y. The latest Raven X rides so much smoother and is quieter than before. The Y rides choppy and my example had some whistling around the side mirrors. There was no comparison to me, the Y felt cheaper in every metric (if you can call something $50K cheap). If someone is coming from an ICE vehicle, the 3/Y can look impressive but it would be hard for me to jump to a 3/Y from my S (although some have done it with their pre-Raven S/X).
I don't disagree with the ride quality. Model Y Performance is noticeably on the firm side and the new Raven suspension on the Model X is quite nice in comfort, auto, and sport mode. The ride quality is luxury car-like sure, I'll give it that, but that's not what I was referring to when I said it lacked refinement and didn't feel like a luxury car. The interior of the Model X is nice, especially in the fully loaded ones. I liked the interior. The interior gives off luxury vibes, sure.

I've been fortunate enough to live with and drive many $100k+ sedans and SUVs in my life. I really like Lexus vehicles because I feel like the entire range, from UX to LS and LC do a really great job of feeling very similar to those $100k+ cars, even though majority of them are not that expensive. The Model X was nice to drive, but it didn't have the same feeling that the other cars in its price range give you.

My biggest issue with the Model X was body control and composure, or lack thereof. This is where I felt it wasn't worthy of the $100k+ price and luxury car status. The turning radius/turning circle was also pretty poor and was a very inelegant experience while trying to park it in crowded parking lots.

I haven't driven a Model S yet but after my drive with the Model X, I really wanted to drive the Model S to see if it had the same issues with composure and body control. I can't imagine it does, or at least really hope it doesn't. Model Y Performance felt great. Body control and composure was wonderful at all times and felt very stable at all speeds and in aggressive cornering maneuvers.

Originally Posted by EZZ
There's something so satisfying about being in an SUV and knowing you're faster than 99% of the cars around you... and it doesn't matter if it has a V8, V10, or V12. Crazy. The odds of someone being faster than you are so low, unless it's another Tesla of course.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Actually, thats not the real horsepower number. Tesla only hinted at 450hp when it first launched the Model 3. There have been 2 significant power bumps since then and the Model Y outputs more kilowatts than the Model 3. The Model 3 has been measured around ~550hp...the forums think the Model Y is somewhere around 570hp. It make sense...the Model 3 is a low 11 second car. The M3 is around 450hp now and gets annihilated in a straightline so the Model 3 has to be pushing way north of 500hp to get those times.
Yup. Per this guy's video around the 7:45 mark, allegedly the Model 3 Performance is actually pushing 579hp and the Model Y Performance is pushing 623hp between both axles.

Old 08-06-20, 10:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Not entirely against the Model 3 but I've been seeing them non-stop since they came out in mid 2017 or so. I'm sure the Model Y will suffer the same fate soon enough, but I like that it's at least on the rarer side for now. I'm also 6'4 and one of the biggest issues I've had with my GS was headroom since day one. If my hair is anything longer than a buzzcut, it constantly hits or brushes against the headliner which drives me nuts. I have to recline my seat gangster-style to avoid that, which I also don't love lol. I liked the added headroom in the Model Y and I liked that I was able to sit behind myself and sit fully upright without hitting my head against the ceiling.

The Model Y also drove very Model 3-like in regards to handling. You really don't give up much compared to the 3 despite being higher off the ground and heavier I'm sure.

Lastly, I like that the Model Y is more "substantial" in presence. As I'm sure you know, the GS is a fairly big sedan with a good amount of presence in real life. I can't help but feel like going to the Model 3 would be a "downgrade" in this aspect, kind of like going from a mid-size to a compact. I feel like the Model Y strikes a nice middle ground in this aspect.
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize you were so tall. I can see where the added room would be nice.
Old 08-06-20, 10:30 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well fair enough, but that bolsters my point even more then, its not surprising at all given it's a goosed EV powertrain and inherently has instant acceleration and a low center of gravity. So it's not really 'crazy', as it is expected to be a performance monster.
Old 08-06-20, 12:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well fair enough, but that bolsters my point even more then, its not surprising at all given it's a goosed EV powertrain and inherently has instant acceleration and a low center of gravity. So it's not really 'crazy', as it is expected to be a performance monster.
I guess you are right. This is a Y Performance without Track Mode (Only Model 3 has it) and it crushed many competitors. I thought Teslas were only 1 trick ponys...

Watch this Model Y Performance leave heavily modified race cars in its dust

06 AUGUST 2020 at 19:20
+
By: Tom Moloughney
Published by: Tom Moloughney

Proving once again the ICE age is dead.

Our friends at MountainPass Performance took their Tesla Model Y Performance to a time attack track event recently and kicked some serious dino-burning butt. They finished 3rd in their class and eighth overall with about fifty high-performance participants.

We love it when people bring their EVs to racing events like this and really drop the hammer. The fact that the Model Y isn't even a sports car, it's a bloody family-hauling crossover, makes the results even better.
More Tesla Model Y news Tesla Model Y Long Range RWD reportedly in trial production

⠀ Watch Tesla Model Y drag race Lamborghini MurciélagoWe said above that they finished 3rd in their class but that needs a little explaining. MountainPass Performance explained to InsideEVs:

The car should have been in either Production AWD or Street AWD, as there are comparable cars in both classes (for example, there is a Golf R and Subaru STi in Production AWD, both of which have similar power/weight). We were bumped to Super Street AWD because the tyre size exceeded the 265mm width limit for street class, however, nothing smaller had a diameter that would be tall enough for the SUV!

The classes were as follows:
  • Unlimited (RWD, AWD, FWD)
    • Super Street (RWD, AWD, FWD)
      • Street (RWD, AWD, FWD)
        • Production (RWD, AWD, FWD)

The resultsRight out of the box the Y was blazing fast. I did a 1:17.9 on the first flying lap early in the morning, and without track mode, the vehicle stability and traction control were seriously limiting our ability to get pace from the car. A 1:17 was pretty crazy considering! And maybe the series did the right thing, as that time put us well ahead of both the fastest Street AWD and Production AWD cars! In fact, it put us right smack in the middle of a bunch of GT3RS Porsche’s! - MountainPass Performance
Just about all of the vehicles were heavily modified race cars, which makes the Model Y's eight-place overall finish pretty remarkable. Here's a list of just a few of the cars they beat: a Porsche 991 911 GT3, a Corvette, and a trio of BMWs including an M2, an M3, and an M4.
In the video, MountainPass Performance asks the question "Fastest SUV On The Track?" It definitely was that day, but we wonder how it would stack up against a Lamborghini Uris. On paper, the Uris has a slightly faster 1/4 mile time (11.3 seconds for the Uris, compared to 11.9 seconds for the Y), and we would expect the Uris to also handle well on the track. Maybe MountainPass Performance can set up that race in the future - hint, hint.

Article: https://uk.motor1.com/news/437660/mo...porsches-race/

moderator: added video and source link

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-06-20 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 01:13 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by EZZ
I guess you are right. This is a Y Performance without Track Mode (Only Model 3 has it) and it crushed many competitors. I thought Teslas were only 1 trick ponys...
More than a few tricks

Only one question, where do I get those PUMA racing gloves
Old 08-06-20, 01:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

that video was amazing (i had to re-embed as your cut and paste didn't include it).

the model y is doing over 180mph on the track in parts. Edit thx signdetres it's kph!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-06-20 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 01:32 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that video was amazing (i had to re-embed as your cut and paste didn't include it).

the model y is doing over 180mph on the track in parts.
They're in Toronto so I think that's kph. Either way, thanks a lot guys, now I want the Model Y even more
Old 08-06-20, 01:39 PM
Hoovey689

Not as exciting when you say 111mph vs 180kph
Old 08-07-20, 07:39 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Default S3XY Drag Race...Enjoy

Old 08-07-20, 09:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
That was a cool video-loved how they lined them up to spell the S3XY
Old 08-07-20, 11:42 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience, Tesla does make some very awesome cars.

It’s very clear that EV is the future, and the days for gas powered cars are numbered. So I keep telling myself, I better enjoy the gasoline cars while I still can. Every time with the sound of a Lexus V8 firing up in my GSF, it further validates my choice of hanging onto a gas car in this day of age. As for the EV’s, they will be abundant, I’m sure I can get one in the future when gas cars are no longer within reach.
Old 08-08-20, 06:59 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Its hard to see how fast they are relative to ICE in the S3XY video. Also, most people don't go from a dig but from a roll. This video puts into perspective how the slowest Performance variant (Model Y) does against a Shelby GT350 with 526hp does from a roll.

Last edited by EZZ; 08-08-20 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance