Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 11:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,341 Likes on 1,533 Posts

we know teslas are fast. we also know their build quality is crap. not for me yet.
Old 08-08-20, 12:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
we know teslas are fast. we also know their build quality is crap. not for me yet.
Plenty of other options like a Taycan or E-Tron or iPace. I think the new Polestar 2 is a compelling EV too.
Old 08-08-20, 03:19 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Plenty of other options like a Taycan or E-Tron or iPace. I think the new Polestar 2 is a compelling EV too.
Besides the Taycan, the other EV options are pretty weak overall IMO.
Old 08-08-20, 03:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by patgilm
Besides the Taycan, the other EV options are pretty weak overall IMO.
I bet you're a little surprised at that roll speed. It's gotten better with the power updates, especially up top. It loses a lot of speed past 120mph though. I don't mind though...rather have stronger speed in the first 120 mph.
Old 08-08-20, 04:08 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet you're a little surprised at that roll speed. It's gotten better with the power updates, especially up top. It loses a lot of speed past 120mph though. I don't mind though...rather have stronger speed in the first 120 mph.
I meant besides Tesla, the only other EV worth mentioning is the Taycan. When I said other options, I meant everything else besides these two.
Old 08-08-20, 06:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

I meant besides Tesla, the only other EV worth mentioning is the Taycan. When I said other options, I meant everything else besides these two.
True.
Watch Model S P90 drag Taycan Turbo in the wet a few days ago @ 00:02'50".

Old 08-08-20, 08:47 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

I drove the Model Y Performance again today for an hour and then drove the Model S Performance for another hour right after.

Didn't take any pics of the Model Y but it definitely confirmed my earlier thoughts on the Model Y vs the Model X. The Model X feels cumbersome to drive and doesn't feel like a luxury car. The Model Y feels solid and is really great to drive. It handles shockingly well and is very well-controlled with sharp steering and a really nice and fat wheel to grip. The interior, while I love the simplicity, I think is a little bit too simple for my tastes. The Model Y feels like a luxury car. I'd say it feels comparable to a C-Class or X3 in how it drives. It has a similar level of solidity and refinement.

And then I drove the Model S Performance with Ludicrous Plus and the Raven suspension. It was nearly brand new with only 200 miles on it. I took some photos and a short video walkaround of it.

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-myhsjlc.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-jmokeey.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-kzktju0.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-ndizjb9.jpg

Model S Performance is a fantastic car. I think it's worth every bit of its $110,000 asking price. All of my qualms about the Model X not feeling like a luxury car were not present with Model S, which is surprising as they share the same underpinnings. That said, I really enjoyed my time with it, far more than any of the other Teslas I drove. It blends luxury, speed, handling, and comfort very well and even after all these years, I think it's still an absolutely beautiful car. If there's ever been a car that could make me forget about my GS, I think it's this one.

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-deqagpt.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-op7mgsr.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-uwihjla.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-qc3wfal.jpg
Old 08-09-20, 12:02 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Few more photos I wanted to share:

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-f9paoxl.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-jkvleyz.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-k7vtz4y.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-apmyqli.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-knivghp.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-2qeqjbo.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-m3nuvgb.jpg

My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance-bkqbqv8.jpg
Old 08-09-20, 01:23 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Model S has beautiful exterior styling, a lovely 17" touchscreen, and a great electric driveline.
Old 08-09-20, 05:40 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I love everything about the Model S except for the price and the only reason I don’t like the price is because I can get nearly the same experience with a Mode 3 and I just have a hard time paying so much more for a little bit more.
Old 08-09-20, 07:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I love everything about the Model S except for the price and the only reason I don’t like the price is because I can get nearly the same experience with a Mode 3 and I just have a hard time paying so much more for a little bit more.
The Model 3 has much newer drivetrain technology. The reason it's not as fast is the battery size of the 3 is smaller and the battery can't output as much juice at one time. The Model S was updated with the Model 3 motor in the Raven edition recently because it's much better. The BMS in the 3 is also far better. In the S, you can get 3 or 4 good quarter mile runs before your times go drastically down due to the heat. That's why track laps aren't done with the Model S...too much throttling due to heat after only a few minutes. In the 3, heats not the issue and you can do repeatedly runs without throttling as the BMS keeps the batteries much cooler. That's why the Model 3 can do many laps on the track without power loss. The only reason times get slower is due to the batteries running out vs in the S where heats is a major issue.

Taycan's advantage is they built a higher volt system to output the same volts even at lower state of charge. So the output of their battery remains more consistent even with lower remaining battery power.
Old 08-09-20, 08:48 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Model S has beautiful exterior styling, a lovely 17" touchscreen, and a great electric driveline.
About the Model S’s styling;
Some journalists (albeit the bottom tier ones) complained about it being aged and not exciting enough. The model S is a gorgeous vehicle and still at the cutting edge of beauty IMO
Old 08-09-20, 08:54 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,060 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I have always been intrigued by the advancement they made in their Tesla product.. Especially an automobile that does not require "Big Oil"..

Sadly I agree that quality is their short fall.. I guess after all its not Rocket Science.

All they need to do is hire the right Quality Engineers.

Joe Z
Old 08-09-20, 11:23 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,691 Likes on 1,880 Posts

@signdetres That car looks super clean! I'd absolutely rock that spec if I were in the market.

The Straight Pipes just did a video of the X, btw.
Old 08-09-20, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,341 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Model 3 has much newer drivetrain technology. The reason it's not as fast is the battery size of the 3 is smaller and the battery can't output as much juice at one time. The Model S was updated with the Model 3 motor in the Raven edition recently because it's much better. The BMS in the 3 is also far better. In the S, you can get 3 or 4 good quarter mile runs before your times go drastically down due to the heat. That's why track laps aren't done with the Model S...too much throttling due to heat after only a few minutes. In the 3, heats not the issue and you can do repeatedly runs without throttling as the BMS keeps the batteries much cooler. That's why the Model 3 can do many laps on the track without power loss. The only reason times get slower is due to the batteries running out vs in the S where heats is a major issue.

Taycan's advantage is they built a higher volt system to output the same volts even at lower state of charge. So the output of their battery remains more consistent even with lower remaining battery power.
Model S is intriguing and beautiful and probably higher quality than other Teslas since they've been building it so long, but then I read your Debbie Downer post, so thanks for that.

Quick Reply: My Experience with a Tesla Model Y Performance