Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota dealer says not allowed to work on Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 09:40 AM
Hasman69
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have not checked lately but in my 2004 ES330 and the 2009 GS350, when you would select Emergency in the Nav and then the Dealer option, it would give you both, the nearest Lexus and Toyota dealerships.
So cannot imagine why a Toyota dealership would deny servicing a Lexus.
Old 07-29-20, 09:53 AM
guan01
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its universal, happen every where.
Take your apple laptop to Apple for repair, cost is $800
Take it to your local shop, cost is about $150
Do it yourself, free.
Old 07-29-20, 01:11 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
There is no Toyota policy that they can't work on Lexus cars. This was specific to that dealership and likely a agreement with a neighboring Lexus dealership or it is the same guy/company that owns both dealership. It's all about money, the Lexus dealership wants you to have to get your Lexus serviced at the much more expensive Lexus dealership and does not want to give owners the option of getting it serviced at a Toyota dealership, it is ridiculous and wrong in my opinion. Either way I would not give that Toyota or Lexus any further business and would write them you won't be using either business any more.

When I was not doing my own work on my cars I used the Toyota dealership all the time and saved a ton of money over taking it to the Lexus dealer and this was on a GS that did not share much with any Toyota models. I didn't get a free loaner or fancy waiting room but I didn't really care. The price difference in some cases was staggering, I got quoted $1600-$1900 for a timing belt change by Lexus for my GS430 and they wouldn't let me bring in my own parts to lower the price where at the Toyota dealership it was in the low $800 range and they let me bring in my own parts if I wanted to, it actually ended up costing under $800 because I had already changed my oil recently. If Lexus wants more business and for owners not to go to Toyota dealerships then lower your ridiculous prices and stop ripping your customers off instead of getting Toyota dealers not to service Lexus vehicles.
So basically its their loss if the owner of the two dealership's operates that way.......as the OP mentioned.
Old 07-29-20, 03:15 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting responses. I had assumed that from what the one Toyota dealer service guy said it would be common throughout ToyotaLand.

Not so.

Today I took a few minutes to call a couple of other Toyota dealers in the Portland Oregon metro area. Surprise! They said they'd be happy to work on Lexus powertrains as long as they had access to service information. Dealing with a Lexus armrest, though, might be an issue since there probably wouldn't be much commonality with the Toyota products.

Interesting...so I called back to the original Toyota dealer under the guise of doing the 120,000 spark plug replacement on my RX450h, which shares a powertrain with a Toyota Highlander hybrid of that year. Once again, I was told they were not authorized (by whom?) to do seious work on Lexus, but could certainly change the oil and rotate my tires. I didn't press further.

So as others have mentioned on this thread, it pays to call around. By the way, the one Toyota dealership happy to work on my RX said plugs would be $899, and the extra services at 120,000 miles would be about $500 more.
Old 07-29-20, 03:31 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Yea it does (calling around)......What are the xtra services at 120K? Since your there, I'd have them change out the diff/transfer case oil as well as change the trans fluid as well as the trans filter, if thats the additional service for $500. , I'd hitup a Toyota indy shop then or a Greg's Japanese auto shop, or similar......
Old 07-30-20, 08:11 PM
Jlawson378
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amen to that

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The only time i've ever let a dealer touch my vehicles for maintenance was when it was thrown in at a discount as part of the purchase of the vehicle.

If it's something I can't do, I take it to an indy mechanic and pay less than I would pay the dealer.

If it's an oil change, I just do it in my driveway.

The biggest scam dealers ever pulled was convincing people that only a dealer can properly service your vehicle.
After being a service technician in dealerships for almost ten years, I totally agree. Just having the title status of a brand dealership does not make any of the technicians skills or integrety any better. My experience says typically about 20 percent or less are really “good and honest” mechanics in a dealer. Really it is just like any other line of employment. How many people do you encounter at work everyday just there for the money? Versus how many people are there to really be great at what they do.