Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Our new 1992 Crown Majesta!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 07:47 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Amazing! Thanks

worst case there is a used Toyota repair shop I’ve known the guys since I was 16 years old he has the connectors for “Toyota 1” if that’s what this is.

so much to learn.

again I must thank you so, so much!
Old 08-15-20, 07:49 AM
acarapella
Advanced

This started an addiction. Saw a 1992 bench seat crown with a 1jz and chrome bunpers. I WANT. saw a 1993 Cresta. I want. Looks like I need to get a warehouse lol I can justify importing if I sell them For a profit under our dealership. This 1992 Crown Majesta is obviously a keeper but I can “foster” others
Old 08-20-20, 05:48 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Really a stretch, but does anybody have information on how to properly clean those white doillie lace seat covers? Our Crown Majesta came with "Crown" labeled originals and they are dingy. I'd love to clean them and somehow install them
Old 08-20-20, 01:08 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
Really a stretch, but does anybody have information on how to properly clean those white doillie lace seat covers? Our Crown Majesta came with "Crown" labeled originals and they are dingy. I'd love to clean them and somehow install them
Huh, you are really lucky to get them with the car. Those seat covers are quite rare, hence quite a bit expensive.

From my understanding, to clean those, a regular washing machine should do just fine, although make sure to air-dry them, just in case. If you are really worried about putting them in a machine, you can still hand-wash them with soap and water. To put them on, they should slide right on the seat.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 08-20-20, 01:33 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

This started an addiction. Saw a 1992 bench seat crown with a 1jz and chrome bunpers. I WANT. saw a 1993 Cresta. I want.
“Oh my Cresta!”
(google it if you need a laugh)
Old 08-20-20, 11:19 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

what a great find! seeing everything this car has it almost makes you wonder why the need for the celsior haha... the century from that era also has the oscillating vents so that must be a JDM aristocratic feature of those cars, 90s japan can't be beat!
Old 08-21-20, 06:11 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Thanks so much all!

I’m going to use woolite and hope for the best. Yea I am in love with this thing. So bummed about the radio and praying the computers all stay good. I think I found heated winter storage.

this thing does dominate the celcior in the 4.0 package. Offered SOOOOmuch more. I’d still take an F1 ls400 though. One of my dream cars but premium examples are way up there in cost

I’ll post pics of the covers if I get them on =) they look complicated actually
Old 08-30-20, 03:39 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Woolite worked great! Stain/tar free
Old 08-30-20, 03:53 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Woolite worked great! Stain/tar free
Perfect! Those may look complicated, but they are not hard to install.
Now awaiting for some pictures!
Old 08-30-20, 07:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks so much all!

I’m going to use woolite and hope for the best. Yea I am in love with this thing. So bummed about the radio and praying the computers all stay good. I think I found heated winter storage.

this thing does dominate the celcior in the 4.0 package. Offered SOOOOmuch more. I’d still take an F1 ls400 though. One of my dream cars but premium examples are way up there in cost

I’ll post pics of the covers if I get them on =) they look complicated actually
Does your Crown have air suspension? Why does it dominate the Celsior? I think your Crown also has a 5 speed auto as wsll
Old 08-31-20, 05:39 AM
acarapella
Advanced

I shouldn’t say dominates the celcior cause I’m not sure what the JDM celcior has but our crown has more than LS400 offered in 1992.

we’ve got:

air suspension auto leveling
TEMS adjustable dampening shocks
heads up display
controls on pass. Seat for the driver
power rear seats
full control of climate / radio for rear passengers
Possibly independent rear AC Like a minivan
oscillating AC vents
dual windshield washer fluid systems
4 speed auto im 99% sure. Haven’t paid attention; shifter is PRND321

various other niceties

as for the doilies that’s on my to do list for sure! Was an insane couple weeks and now I’m in coastal Maine.

i also need to look into a tune up. Sometimes it feels like a very faint “shift” from 3rd to 4th but when going down the flat road at 60mph. Feels like a miss or something but almost undetectable

the one thing that’s really bothering me is the radio. I haven’t had anyone see the video and suggest what it might be, and the radio company in the best city over wants $600-800 to fix it; no guarantee and that doesn’t include converting the fm radio to USA signals

Old 09-01-20, 08:47 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

So on paper, Celsior is supposed to be a little more upscale, placed between Majesta and hand-built Century. The problem with comparing those is that it was made for a different market, where neither Crown nor Century were presented, so it is hard to really place it in one specific niche, or to compare it with any of them..

From my understanding, the powertrain is identical between those two cars - the same 1UZ-FE engine and A341E 4-speed automatic transmission, though there is a little caveat - if you really have a PRND321 pattern, and not PRND21 with O/D button, that would prove my theory wrong, and will prompt me to question some of my life decisions.. Celsior is a little bigger than Crown, but feature-wise, they are relatively similar. Both of them may have had massaged, heated, and motorized rear seats with HVAC and Audio control built in the armrest, heated, electrochromic, auto-folding mirrors, as well as both of them were equipped with TEMS and Air Suspension, and had phone and a TV for rear passengers as a dealer option.

Toyota Global Website claims that UCF10 Celsior became the first car to have Voice-Controlled GPS Navigation System, but the problem is that it is such a rare occurrence there is not a whole lot of information about it, I was only able to find one listing and a photo of a demo stand in Toyota Museum.

From my understanding, it had a similar functionality to Crown's Multivision, do not quote me on that one though. Multivision is not just a navigation system, it is a very powerful computer for its time, which was capable of calculating average fuel consumption and range, working as a driving monitor, guiding car's maintenance, controlling audio and HVAC system, showing TV, etc. But its most important function (IMO) was its self-diagnostics mode - it was capable of running diagnostics for pretty much all the systems, including but not limited to things like display color and touchscreen functionality, as well as giving an ability to change parameters like wheel size, so that your speedometer is always spot-on. How cool is that for a 1991, or even 1985, when it was first introduced in Toyota Soarer?

And speaking of Crown's electronic gauges - first of all, don't get me wrong, Optitron that was first introduced with Celsior is, in my opinion, one of the best looking clusters out there, that clean look with "floating" gauges and smooth start looks astounding, especially at night.. That said, feature-wise, I would say it is Crown for the lead, because of its digital gauges and heads-up display, which, to my knowledge, was not a feature in Celsior. And also, Crown was equipped with digital display, which was capable of showing vehicle information and error codes, if there are any.. Light-wise, they both used the same "projection" system, meaning that the indication lights were projected onto the dashboard from the lights above it, which only added to a much esteemed "floating" effect.

And not to forget Toyota's optional i-Four AWD system and Four-Wheel Steering that came with Majesta from 1992. In 1995, Majesta also became the first Toyota to have VSC system. From what I know, UCF10 Celsior never came with neither of those. Yet again, Majesta i-Four is so rare there is barely any information about it - to confirm that it came with 4WS, I had to dig into parts catalogue..

As inexplicable as it seems, almost all that is not applicable to a US-Spec LS400 - to my knowledge, it never came with any of the rear seat options, neither did it come with navigation system, which kind of defeats the purpose of a luxury salon designed to compete with Germans.. I think that is one of the reasons why people still believe that Toyota always leaves the best for themselves, and that it is the main reason why Celsiors are one of the most popular vehicles to import (besides the fact that it is so much easier to source parts for it than it is for Crown)..

All in all, both cars were ahead of their time, they definitely earned their place in history. Even after all that research, I am not sure which one of them is better, they are both cool in their own ways. Granted, Celsior had a much bigger duty, it was made to start a brand-new market direction, "concur the hearts" of buyers, which is what it actually did, but it also had a backfire effect - it created a baseline to go from, because of what a blast Lexus created once they first introduced LS400, people will always either confuse or compare those two, which, in itself, is not correct - those cars were made with polarly different causes in mind, and while they may look similar, there is more difference between them than meets the eye.. They are equally good, but in their own, unique manner.

Info used:
  1. Where to find all the sales brochures - 75 Years of Toyota
  2. Toyota Crown sales brochure - Crown Majesta 1st
  3. Toyota Celsior sales brochure - Celsior 1st
  4. Crown/Crown Majesta S140 Introduction - FULL MODEL CHANGES FOR TOYOTA CROWN SERIES
  5. Multivision - TOYOTA INTRODUCES ELECTRO MULTIVISION
  6. 4WS Parts - Parts Catalogue
  7. First introduction of i-Four system - Technical Development | Chassis
  8. Information about i-Four system - Toyota all-wheel drive. i-Four

Last edited by Arsenii; 09-02-20 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-05-20, 04:48 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Wow this is awesome man thank you so so much! You’ve provided more than I’ve seen in all sources combined! You ought to rewrite the Wikipedia page for this s140!!!

i figured the all wheel drive and all wheel steer is ultra rare. Glad I don’t have it but wish I had the 1uz!

as for the gauges, personally I think the ls400 gauge cluster is the most beautiful ever made. I actually like it over digital, which is cool for its time but like you said, those floating needles and how it “comes to life...” amazing
Old 09-05-20, 05:06 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Oh and here is the shifter. I may have Mis spoke earlier. PRND21 with an Od button. Also it might be broke- unlike every other car that slides from R to D with no button or brake, this goes to 2. I actually hand built the shifter assembly and detect mechanism in my 1950 Chevy to function EXACTLY like a 2010 impala or whatever modern column shift, I’d. Ever have it go to the gear below d. Can’t imagine this was on purpose lol. Just another little quirk? Or perhaps the Japanese do it differently
Old 09-05-20, 07:42 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Judging by the diagram below, it was done on purpose, though I am not sure why would they do that.. In my 2000 ES300, it only goes to D, but it also has one annoying quirk - ECU will not allow the car to shift out of 2nd gear until it will warm-up a little. It is annoying because 2nd gear is around 30-35mph.. I am not sure if there is something similar in your ES or Crown; if not, it may be the reason why there is no lock up to 2 instead of D.

Striped Arrows - Press Brake and Release Button; White Arrows - Press Release Button; Black Arrows - No Lock.

Quick Reply: Our new 1992 Crown Majesta!