Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Our new 1992 Crown Majesta!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-20, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
In my 2000 ES300, it only goes to D, but it also has one annoying quirk - ECU will not allow the car to shift out of 2nd gear until it will warm-up a little. It is annoying because 2nd gear is around 30-35mph.. I am not sure if there is something similar in your ES or Crown; if not, it may be the reason why there is no lock up to 2 instead of D.
Some of the older Lexus automatics were like that......cold weather would delay upshifts until the engine/transmission warmed up some. That was done for emissions purposes..a cold engine runs on a richer fuel mixture, and often produces more emissions, even with a catalyst. My 2001 IS300 was the same way.

My suggestion is to simply keep the speed down and drive slowly for the first mile or so (traffic permitting), until the engine warms a little and the transmission will allow the higher gears.....otherwise, you will just increase the engine RPMs for essentially noting, use more fuel than necessary, and put needless stress and wear on the cold engine.
Old 09-07-20, 05:29 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Arsenii you’re amazing man! You remind me of this guy I met years ago in the 49-53/4 post war GM scene. While all would guess and suggest, he’d politely deliver a perfect answer. We became friends. Sadly he’s passed, but you remind me of him man... you are a wealth of knowledge - I wouldn’t even know where to begin to find this stuff! It’s so appreciated.

gents as for the warm ups, I had a 1995 es300 that did that. Little Goldie was her name. I wish I never sold that car. It had “that look” that I would want to Drive to get ice on a Sunday in about 20 more years. A true classic
Old 09-07-20, 05:32 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Also the JDM scene is exploding. Yesterday, saw a mini truck and a Mitsubishi delica with modern hippies driving it. Now my wife wants to bail on our Odyssey for a Toyota Townace. We are working through the process of getting a couple JDM “regular cars” here to sell to postal drivers to get a new part of our business established. Seems it would be best to go to Japan....
Old 09-07-20, 04:59 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
Arsenii you’re amazing man! You remind me of this guy I met years ago in the 49-53/4 post war GM scene. While all would guess and suggest, he’d politely deliver a perfect answer. We became friends. Sadly he’s passed, but you remind me of him man... you are a wealth of knowledge - I wouldn’t even know where to begin to find this stuff! It’s so appreciated.

gents as for the warm ups, I had a 1995 es300 that did that. Little Goldie was her name. I wish I never sold that car. It had “that look” that I would want to Drive to get ice on a Sunday in about 20 more years. A true classic
Sorry for your loss..
To be brutally honest, I didn't know a half of the stuff I described here before I went researching. It is hard to just get in a brand-new field, I realized it when I had to fix my friend's W124 - a weird new world where nothing makes sense.. It will take a while to get your bearings, but after that, it should go much easier. Also, it doesn't always work to just look straight for what you need, sometimes you need to look a little astray, like to find if a part that will fit, you may sometimes need to look for a car it was designed for, which will lead you to the answer. I am mostly having fun learning something interesting, and in the process, I am also happy to help..

2nd-gen ES is a beautiful car.. It does indeed have some inexplicable charm to it, something that makes you appeal to that car from the moment you see it. 3rd-gen is no different - I am not sure what it is, but there is something in that car that makes it really stand out among others, especially when you realize how little of them left in good condition.. I am pretty sure every ES owner would agree that there is a certain, very special character to them. Isn't it a definition of charisma?

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 09-07-20 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-07-20, 06:02 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Thanks I appreciate it. Yea it’s learning for sure. Had it out a bit tonight. Enjoyed it a lot. It was a date for our anniversary. I love riding in the passenger seat it’s a hoot lol

the radio Randomly worked for 7 tracks of a cd... the volume buttons are a bit unresponsive and the drivers side speakers randomly popped a bit. Maybe that sheds some some light on what’s going on with it?

yea the 2 and 3 es were something.... I’ll never forget my first ride in one (a 97) in the late 90s. The 2 es is likely my favorite. I do enjoy my 4es, but in actively looking for a 1 or 2 LS to replace it.... it’s time. I’ve wanted one for 18 years
Old 09-12-20, 06:42 PM
acarapella
Advanced

So i dont know why i couldn't see this before, but FYI:

The brake rotors, caliper brackets, and calipers, pads are the same as a 1991 Aristo (so 93 gs300).

Rotors: 43512-30210 and 43512-30250
Brackets R:47721-30140 L: 47722-30060
Caliper R: 47730-30240 and or 47730-30241 L: 47750-30240 and or 47750-30241

Pads: 04665-30080

Using Amayama and looking at Aristo side by side with Majesta, i figured this out... now if only I know I can get a windshield, i'd throw 15,000 miles per year on this old lady!
Old 09-12-20, 06:53 PM
acarapella
Advanced

pardon me for replying to my own thread but THE WINDSHIELD FROM AN ARISTO WILL LIKELY WORK! the "dam" or rubber trim is the same part number 56117-50020. The glass (several part numbers all starting in 56101) are different but I am ASSUMING its cause majesta's HUD reflector while aristo didnt have it. I may be able to daily drive this car.....
Old 09-12-20, 11:11 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

So i dont know why i couldn't see this before, but FYI:

The brake rotors, caliper brackets, and calipers, pads are the same as a 1991 Aristo (so 93 gs300).

Rotors: 43512-30210 and 43512-30250
Brackets R:47721-30140 L: 47722-30060
Caliper R: 47730-30240 and or 47730-30241 L: 47750-30240 and or 47750-30241

Pads: 04665-30080

Using Amayama and looking at Aristo side by side with Majesta, i figured this out... now if only I know I can get a windshield, i'd throw 15,000 miles per year on this old lady!
It appears that I was wrong the entire time about your rear suspension setup, it is identical to the GS300. The platform is completely the same, so the brakes, suspension, all the stuff like that should be very similar to GS300. That whole time I was looking at the wrong diagram, a very, very dumb and extremely frustrating mistake... That's why it never made complete sense to me, and that is also why you should never look for parts without knowing what exactly are you looking for, and what it appears to look like.

Live and learn, to die a fool.. But looking from the bright side, that's another life experience, the kind you remember for the rest of the life..

pardon me for replying to my own thread but THE WINDSHIELD FROM AN ARISTO WILL LIKELY WORK! the "dam" or rubber trim is the same part number 56117-50020. The glass (several part numbers all starting in 56101) are different but I am ASSUMING its cause majesta's HUD reflector while aristo didnt have it. I may be able to daily drive this car.....
Now, admittedly, I was wrong before, so there is nothing preventing me from being wrong again, but it doesn't seem like those are compatible.. The seal you talked about is not a complete criteria, since the way it looks off the car is shown on the photo below, it is not a loop, it is just a rubber line, which also fits Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado. From my now greatly improved understanding, the glass for Majesta will only work for Majesta, and the glass for Aristo will only work for Aristo and GS300, please refer to another picture below. That said, if you are just worried about small rock chips, scratches and other blemishes, you can probably use a protective film for the glass.

Well, at least now I know much more than I did a few hours ago, and I also know what to look out for in the future.. Sincerely sorry for the confusion, and thank you for for putting me on the right track!
Old 09-13-20, 05:15 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Hey no worries and certainly no need for an apology! Not only do I sincerely appreciate the help and huge effort but also the conversation. This has been great!
Remember, I originally posted here looking for a thread where there could be learning and interest and there has been so it’s a total win.

BUMMMER about the windshield. I just came to a similar disappointing conclusion when I saw similar part numbers for Caldina.

windshields are the biggest detractor or daily driving these cars - not our majesta but “regular” JDM cars with no American LHD counterpart. It sounds silly and overly cautious, but it’s part of our state inspection and we’re at a particularly high risk of a cracked windshield. I think my wife and I have had 5 in 11 years. $300 problem on our cars (free with insurance) but a potentially $3500 problem on the majesta (and insurance may not be willing to go through Japan / we have Haverty)

Old 09-13-20, 05:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

windshields are the biggest detractor or daily driving these cars - not our majesta but “regular” JDM cars with no American LHD counterpart. It sounds silly and overly cautious, but it’s part of our state inspection and we’re at a particularly high risk of a cracked windshield. I think my wife and I have had 5 in 11 years. $300 problem on our cars (free with insurance) but a potentially $3500 problem on the majesta (and insurance may not be willing to go through Japan / we have Haverty)
Why? Just hard to get parts
Old 09-13-20, 08:32 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hey no worries and certainly no need for an apology! Not only do I sincerely appreciate the help and huge effort but also the conversation. This has been great!
Remember, I originally posted here looking for a thread where there could be learning and interest and there has been so it’s a total win.

BUMMMER about the windshield. I just came to a similar disappointing conclusion when I saw similar part numbers for Caldina.

Well, thanks for the understanding! The most annoying part is that I stepped on my own rake while I should have seen that coming. At least this thread is the one I've had most fun with since the time I got to this forum - all those interesting details, conversations, etc. It is a pleasure to try and help you with that thing..

That said, all the effort wasn't completely futile, pretty much all that was said before will work for the body-on-frame S140 Crown, which has completely different platform. With that one, you will have quite a bit more issues, but it is still possible to find brake parts here.. There is also a Brembo catalogue that can really help you choose brake rotors by their size. That is probably one of the most intuitive brake parts catalogue I've seen around, and it does have a pretty big selection.

As for the glass, it shouldn't be that hard to find a used one with like 40,000-50,000km on it for a reasonable price, it's just that not everyone is willing to ship it because of how big and fragile it is.. Maybe you should really look into protection films for the glass, I've heard that those may also limit cracks from rock chips and stuff, though I am not entirely sure about that.

Old 09-14-20, 05:20 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Glad you’ve enjoyed the conversation. I sure have! Awesome learning about this thing a grateful for the input!

You say body on frame / makes sense now why they’d have the rotor with the hub attached. That’s how body on Frame GM cars were. I didn’t know the regular crown was a framed car. That’s cool! I wonder why they’d call them both s140 when they are so different

as for the windshield, I may look into protective film. Just have heard horror stories about glass. I mean, even if they were easy to find, they are months away and almost more likely than not to get damaged on the trip
Old 09-14-20, 01:50 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

All Crowns up to S150 had body-on-frame construction, S140 was the last one to have a frame. Your Majesta has more like reinforced sub-frames, as could be seen from the picture below, and that is what Toyota stuck with ever since. It seems like they got rid of the frame because of the cost-cutting measures and crisis stuff in mid 1990's, and then there was no point of returning it, because of the advancements in body and suspension designs, and safety standards. At least that's just my theory..

I am not exactly sure why Toyota decided to give similar model number to basically different cars. That is actually part of the reason for my confusion - even in parts catalogue, they both are marked as one, just with different sub-models.. My guess is that it happened because Toyota wanted to market Majesta as Crown's highest trim level, not as a separate entity, they even have the same booklet for both.

Maybe it's just me, but post-facelift S140 Crown is probably my favorite - the last Crown to have frame, and its overall appearance are unbeatable. Don't get me wrong though, Majesta is a brilliant car, and I do love it, but there is just something about regular old Crown that makes it stand out a tad bit more for me.. Maybe it is the same Toyota phenomenon that makes me love my ES so much..?

Last edited by Arsenii; 09-14-20 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 02:26 PM
acarapella
Advanced

I know what you mean. These are like freakin potato chips. Can’t just have one. I am IN LOVE with the late 80’s style stuff. I want one badly. Sadly we have 2 spaces, and can’t leave anything outside unless it’s “tired” already. Our majesta is parked inside. we have the 50 chevy. I would love even a 1990 Camry. Something I don’t mind leaving outside

never imagined I’d fall so in love with these - but I also never imagined I COULD HAVE ONE!

we know we want a 1997 century v12. It there are so many others I’d love to have all the large cushi cars
Old 09-20-20, 09:20 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

I know what you mean. These are like freakin potato chips. Can’t just have one. I am IN LOVE with the late 80’s style stuff. I want one badly. Sadly we have 2 spaces, and can’t leave anything outside unless it’s “tired” already. Our majesta is parked inside. we have the 50 chevy. I would love even a 1990 Camry. Something I don’t mind leaving outside

never imagined I’d fall so in love with these - but I also never imagined I COULD HAVE ONE!

we know we want a 1997 century v12. It there are so many others I’d love to have all the large cushi cars
I think we’ve all been there, browsing the importers sites looking for a cheap Century

Quick Reply: Our new 1992 Crown Majesta!