Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Our new 1992 Crown Majesta!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 07:23 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
So VERY long story short. I mentioned that I found this car in a warehouse in august 2019. Well on the lift above it, also under a cover, sat a 1992 Nissan Gloria. It will be in my driveway tomorrow. Not a keeper (duo volante?) but an orphan to enjoy until we find her a permanent home. I’ll post photos tomorrow if they are welcome
congrats and please post the photos! JDM cars are cool
Old 10-21-20, 08:35 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

What is that warehouse a portal to Japan?
It will be very cool to see some pictures of it. That said, I am not a big expert on Nissans, though I will still try to help as I could..
Old 10-22-20, 05:47 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is the very strange part. It was at an auction in Rochester NY. Basically, in a local dealer private collection. Hey had two. I’ve acquired both but can only keep one. We have a two car garage and there is our 1950 Chevy and the 1992 crown majesta so that’s that. Plus I can’t afford to keep it unless I sell my daily driver and even then it should be garaged

Old 10-22-20, 05:17 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Picked it up today, here is the for sale ad which has all the photos

https://www.pellacars.com/details/us...loria/70010759
Old 10-22-20, 08:23 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Picked it up today, here is the for sale ad which has all the photos

https://www.pellacars.com/details/us...loria/70010759
Neat car! Looks like a VG30DE? Almost like Nissan’s Cressida, maybe slightly larger.
Old 10-23-20, 05:15 AM
acarapella
Advanced

VG30 is all I know, its not the turbo (Gran Turismo) but the Brougham. It is a VERY nice car. Its (sadly) in my driveway becuase the 1950 and the Majesta are in the garage, and every time I come and go I look at the thing; i am tempted to keep it. No where to put it and cant afford it...
Old 10-24-20, 06:06 PM
acarapella
Advanced

here is a lot more info - its the video walk around, and heart-breakingly, the "for sale" virtual test drive. We just dont have the room and cant tie up the money to keep it....
Old 11-22-20, 04:17 PM
acarapella
Advanced

So this has become quite an addiction, the Gloria is for sale and once it is gone, i am going to import one, possible two, for some enjoyment and then resale! Its POSSIBLE one is going to be an S140 Crown Royal Saloon - thinking its going to be way worse for parts but I was considering getting one with some wear and tear and daily driving it! I thing my connection in japan would be willing to put a set of OE style brakes in the trunk? lol. But, the Crown Majesta started something big..
Old 11-23-20, 03:17 PM
acarapella
Advanced

bummed to see no more interest =/ i guess this isn't the right place after all but sadly there doesnt seem to BE a place.... anyway, any of you who were interested reach out. Came across a few other owners, found out there are 8-15 Crown Majesta (s140) in the US... super cool. Also, if any of you want a JDM car, i'd be honored to be "your guy" for that
Old 11-23-20, 05:21 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

That does give me vibes from Toyota's "Where it all began" article.. It is certainly interesting to see something big unveiling, and I am still interested in assisting. I will be more than happy to at least try giving some advises on parts compatibility, manuals, etc. where I can..

Brakes are not the biggest issue of Royal Saloon in USA, for the exception of front rotors, it is possible to find all the other brake components, just as I explained in the very beginning. Biggest issues will start from the suspension, since there is not a single car in USA that you can borrow those from, so you will have to source them elsewhere. That said, fun part about old Toyotas is that you don't necessarily have to replace all the components as assembled units, a bunch of stuff can be rebuilt, meaning that you won't necessarily have to replace the whole control arm when you can just rebuild it using standard bushings and ball joints, so it is probably not that bad after all.. Post-facelift S140 Royal Saloon is probably the best looking Crown ever made (at least in my opinion), so maybe it is worth the risk. I would say the best car to import as a daily-driver is something that has the same (or at least similar) platform to the car that was actually sold here, like your Majesta, which has the same platform as GS300, Mark II and its siblings that shares a platform with Cressida, Soarer with Supra parts, or even G50 Century, which has a vaguely similar platform to LS400 (though not yet legal to import), if you are into a luxury segment. Cars that have no parts around will be a huge hassle to maintain, especially if you are trying to keep them in perfect shape with no issues..

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 11-23-20 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 07:28 PM
JZX909
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there! I also have a JZS149 Crown Majesta as well.

B-Type with 8,970 km's when I brought it stateside back in July. It now has 11,200 km's so I barely drive it. It's pretty much a time capsule and I'm considering selling it since I don't like keeping time capsules when someone else could enjoy it.
Old 12-21-20, 05:14 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Hey that’s awesome! Let’s see some photos!

and I know what you mean. Ours is in storage for the winter but seriously considering driving it a lot more this summer

might even park it in the driveway instead of the garage but somehow need to keep the sun off of it
Old 02-09-21, 06:03 PM
Winfrey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a in-depth walk around

https://youtu.be/v7f6UElig5E

since recording that I realize I forgot to mention the 1991-available electric power steering. Also learned of a source for $1000 struts rather than $1800
So you have a suspension source? I have been looking for 7-8 months trying to get new front bags for mine. The front right tore. Been having to be extremely careful along any road when I take it out right now. I really need to find parts to fix it. Apparently mine doesn't match up to any Lexus suspension.
Old 02-15-21, 05:14 AM
acarapella
Advanced

I am sorry to hear!

here is a 1993 (same as 91, 92 but aristo was made that year as well) diagram for our car's front struts
Buy genuine front spring & shock absorber for Toyota Crown Majesta 1 generation, restyling 08.1993 - 07.1995 from Japan - Amayama

click individual parts and it will show you that the strut and strut mount also fit aristo/gs300 on the new page it loads when you click the link (you may have to open the "this part may fit to" drop down)

Sadly the spring for our car isnt listed but we know the mount and the strut is the same, throw the spring on and hope for the best. If anything the aristo was lighter and the softer spring will give us a softer ride.

As for air struts, 3 of 4 (yes. only 3) are still reproduced. I think its around $1000. What I want to know is, can you get a junkyard gs300 strut to keep you going and NOT deflate the other 3 or damage the system buy having the one disconnected?

I know a guy that has a Crown Majesta here without the air ride, and blessed is he. There are wooden plugs to match the center council trim the holes where "height" and "tems" are. He doesnt have to worry. I don't want to downgrade out car but we have talked at length about driving it a LOT more and i couldnt afford $4000 in suspension.

I know another guy that has a VIP Majesta and he knows of aftermarket bags. I am going to try to get him to come here and talk about it; i am assuming its just gs300 stuff because it fits
Old 02-15-21, 05:36 AM
acarapella
Advanced

here it is. $972 supposedly here in a week Genuine Toyota 48010-39055 (4801039055) CYLINDER ASSY, PNEUMATIC, FRONT RH W/SHOCK ABSORBER - Amayama

Quick Reply: Our new 1992 Crown Majesta!