Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Our new 1992 Crown Majesta!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 10:42 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Our new 1992 Crown Majesta!

Old 08-08-20, 10:46 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Just dug up the photo I snuck august 31, 2019. I would NEVER have imagine I’d own it less than 12 full months later.

I got my 1950 Chevy in a similar way. It was 1 mile from my house and NOT for sale. Watched it get snowed on for a whole Rochester winter (100inches) before I finally go the owners number. He gave me a crazy low price two. I negotiated with neither men, was blessed to pay their asking price
Old 08-08-20, 10:49 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Here is a in-depth walk around

since recording that I realize I forgot to mention the 1991-available electric power steering. Also learned of a source for $1000 struts rather than $1800
Old 08-08-20, 04:59 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Sweet Cressida dude!

edit: I take that back. I thought it was one of the X80 variant cars. Still an awesome car. Congratulations

Last edited by sdls; 08-08-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 05:01 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

congrats! so, knowing really nothing about the crown, it looks very similar to the first gen ls400. i assume that it isn't similar enough, however, to source parts here as you were asking where one could find parts for the vehicle. how different are they?
Old 08-08-20, 05:06 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
congrats! so, knowing really nothing about the crown, it looks very similar to the first gen ls400. i assume that it isn't similar enough, however, to source parts here as you were asking where one could find parts for the vehicle. how different are they?
it literally looks like what would happen if an MX83 Cressida and UCF10 LS400 had a child!
Old 08-08-20, 06:31 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
Here is a in-depth walk around

https://youtu.be/v7f6UElig5E

since recording that I realize I forgot to mention the 1991-available electric power steering. Also learned of a source for $1000 struts rather than $1800
Hello,

About brake rotors - older Crowns had an issue with their brake rotors being screwed directly to the hub, and to replace the rotor, you needed to take out the hub. That said, I am not entirely sure which design your car uses, it may still have that design, while a UZ powered Majesta has a standard rotor..? To know for sure, you can take the wheel off and see which design you have. From what I know, if you have a newer design, it should be very similar to an S140 GS300. But if not, you are really out of luck, since your suspension will be different from anything you can find here. I've also seen people upgrading to UCF20 Celsior, or R32 Skyline brakes, but it is quite a bit more involved.
Rear rotors in both cases are different between GS and Crown, the latter has smaller diameter. I've read online about some people putting Nissan X-Trail (or Nissan Rogue) rotors (P/N: 43206-8H304 or 43206-8H701), but I am not sure about that. It doesn't seem like GS brakes will go in there easily either. With that, it is still possible to find stock rotors here (P/N: 42431-30160), although for quite a price.

From what I was able to find, you should be able to use front pads off of Toyota T100 (P/N: 04465-34010), and the rear ones should fit off of A70 Supra (P/N: 04466-22110). With that, I am not sure which brake system you have so those may not fit for your particular car.

About suspension - this is a tricky one... Basically, as I wrote earlier, it all depends on what configuration you have. If you have an "older" style with bolted brake rotor, your suspension will be completely different from the one used in GS, and you will have some hard times sourcing parts for it. But if you have a "newer" style, there is quite a bit of similarities with the S140 GS300 suspension. Also, you have TEMS system, which really makes things complicated, so your estimate is probably correct. With that, if you have a "newer" suspension, standard shocks off of GS should fit right up to stock internals, just to somehow drive the car until you will be able to get stock TEMS parts. Also, you can probably find some used struts for a fraction of the price, although I am not sure if anyone will be willing to ship those overseas..

As Lexus2000 wrote some while ago, for the exception of a couple of switches and the steering wheel, interior parts are completely unique to that car. If any of it breaks, you will have to source it from overseas. The same goes for the exterior, you won't find anything for it here.

P.S. Wow it did take me a while to find it all.. Please let us know what suspension do you have, that is crucial to find anything for this car. Also, you need to understand that all the information above was found on forums and other experience-sharing platforms, so I am not responsible if some of it is not entirely true, though I will be glad if someone can correct me..
But with all that, you knew what you are going for, and it is now too late to turn around .

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 08-08-20 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 11:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Looks like a Mazda Millennia, interesting.
Please clean those tailpipes!
Old 08-09-20, 05:59 AM
acarapella
Advanced

All thanks for the compliments.

Arsenni,

WOWWWW thanks for all that. I’m fairly well certain it has normal rotors though I’m used to the hub screwed kind from classic American stuff. That’s how the front drums are (though rivited and they get drilled if replaced) on my 1950 Chevy. I did find that sc300 read pads work. I would absolutely try everything else, brake wise, if needed, because I have connections that would let me try stuff and pay for it if it fits, bring it back if not.

suspension, as I’ve seen, is unique to the car. It’s air bags and TEMS. I found them for $980 in Japan but the website said can’t ship so I’ll need to look into that. Shoot I’ll have someone bring it to FEDEX if I make a friend there with an American classic I can help them with. I’d love to know a $70 Amazon quick-strut for a gs300 or something would bolt on and keep me going, though leaving the system “open” wouldn’t be wise I am sure. It’s info like that - and how to Keep the other three working - that’s going to be really hard to find.

As for interior parts, already have a problem there. Last night I randomly decided to look in the rear center council to see if there was perhaps a cool item from Japan and I stumbled upon this:

So far the only problem is the radio comes and goes; the volume button causes a pop at low volumes

Old 08-09-20, 07:22 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

You are really lucky to have newer suspension type (with normal rotors type), it means that it will not be impossible to find parts for it. What I meant by the suspension is control arms, steering, stuff like that, those should be pretty similar to an S140 GS300. That said, rear suspension is proprietary to that specific vehicle.
And speaking of struts - I am not sure about US-Spec GS300, but JDM Aristo had TEMS installed at some point, and from what I found, those may also fit fine. The other question is which ones will be more difficult to source . After some digging, I was able to find used TEMS struts that should fit your car for relatively cheap, though again, I am not sure if anyone is willing to ship those overseas.

Again, if you have normal suspension, front brake rotors off of GS300 (P/N: 43512-50100) should work out for you. Rear ones are trickier, but still possible to obtain within boundaries. From what I understand, rear pads are identical between Toyota Crown, Crown Majesta, Soarer, Supra and Mark II (as well as all its subsidiaries). For the front pads, T100 are the only ones I was able to find that should fit without modifications.

What is interesting, those features shown in the video were available with the UCF10 Celsior, though I've never seen them used in US-Spec LS, which kind of defeats the purpose .. Maybe it is the reason why Celsior is one of the most popular imports around.
With that, I didn't really get what do you mean by volume buttons working improperly, can you please elaborate on that?

P.S. Those are some really useful connections there.. Especially in your case . Maybe you should start a separate thread that talks about interchangeable parts for people just like you? I am sure it will be really helpful

Last edited by Arsenii; 08-09-20 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-09-20, 09:19 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Wow thank you SO much you’ve been an awesome help! I just read on a Japanese website that the Aristo was actually based off of the Crown Majesta, and found an eBay auction for an s140 caliper that also said s147(which is the aristo!) in the description. But then, back to that Japanese site, I looked up the part numbers for each car and they’re different. I think an aftermarket parts catalog like rock auto but for Japanese cars would she a LOT of light on this.

As for the TEMS and air ride, would be great to know there is a cheaper solution. $800 isn’t too bad for a brand new correct part but heaven knows what they’d charge IF they’d ship

As for the radio I likely will not fight that battle (found a new one for $3970). The thing doesn’t turn on more than half the time and when it does the volume button is “buggy” and makes a popping sound through the speakers when changing the volume especially when it’s low.

Curious to know - how did you discover gs300 front rotors and t100 pads work? Seems my rotors are good just need to be gentle and perhaps I won’t have to replace them ever. Most of my concern is rust in winter storage

I’d love to publish all this once verified. Would be nice to have a site dedicated to it

Also: when I first start it, the multi information display says “check end“ but then it goes away… I wonder what that could mean? We rent? I’m gonna check the fluid level, but it doesn’t appear to leak

I really appreciate this chat!
Old 08-09-20, 10:27 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Speaking of aftermarket parts catalog like RockAuto - I actually linked one earlier (baza.drom.ru/sell_spare_parts). This website helped me big time looking for some small bits and pieces. It allows you to find aftermarket parts that have interchangeable numbers, so if you know what you are looking for, you will get a bunch of similar Part Numbers, as well as a list of cars this particular part may fit. It is really easy to navigate through, and it has a ton of useful information - in fact, most of the stuff I described above was found there.

About pads - I know for a fact that those pads do work for UZS131 Crown Royal Saloon G, since I was the one helping installing those. To verify that they will work out for S140 though, I went to the same website linked above, and found out that the Part Number for those is indeed interchangeable with T100. As for rotors - I just matched their sizes, and those were pretty similar.

The other thing is that it is a whole other adventure to look for parts that were never sold here. While that website is super helpful, it is not a be-all and end-all, there may still be mistakes there. You always need to check the information provided, because otherwise, it may create only bigger confusion. For some of the more unique stuff, it may take a while, but it is a part of owning such a car..

TEMS is a whole new adventure for another day.. Let's just hope that you will not have to go in there in the near future. But even if something would go wrong, at least it is possible to find a replacement.. Basically it boils down to either going head-on and buying them new, or looking through ads and waiting until a good used option arises.

So does it literally say “check end“, or it has Japanese characters there? It is important, since, in its current state, it doesn't tell a whole lot about the issue. Any Check Engine, or other lights appear on the dashboard? Can you take a picture of the note?

Last edited by Arsenii; 08-09-20 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-09-20, 11:07 AM
acarapella
Advanced

did just verify 42431-30250 which is listed as a replacement for the original 42431-30210 matches gen one sc300 (92 ish)

other than size, there can be many thicknesses and backsets (distance the disc itself is from the hub surface right? that all matched? hey, if it works, it works!

No check engine light... doesnt have one even when the ignition is ON but the car isnt running... hopefully it wasnt tampered with. We just got a 2009 camry (for the business) with that condition and turns out someone pulled the fuse.... thankfully popped one it and its fine. I will try to get a photo. Just says, in englist, "check end" only when i first start it. THat display says something in Japanese when the door is open, and the outside temperature all other times. There is a button that says scroll. Pressing it does nothing but holding it makes the display several things breifly and it returns to outside temp. I'll get a video of this
Old 08-09-20, 01:04 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

I am still not sure about all the aspects about system diagnostics, but I am now pretty sure that I know what that “check end“ thing is all about! From what I found, it means that all the systems were checked, and everything is okay. After that, you should see temperature readouts, just like you do. What I am saying is that it is what you want to see in that car, and there is nothing to worry about.

There is not that much information about diagnostics in Majesta. I may be wrong, but I can go as far as saying that your car may not even have a Check Engine Light, all the errors are supposed to be displayed on the information screen below the gauges. I am not entirely sure about that though..
I know that in 1996, when a second generation came out, it already received an OBD2 protocol, and with that, a mandatory CEL.

Also, here is a post explaining how to get engine's live parameters from your car. From what I've read online, I am now not even sure if it is applicable to your car, nor I have any idea how useful it is in your situation, just a fun fact.

Last edited by Arsenii; 08-09-20 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 07:40 PM
acarapella
Advanced

I REALLY appreciate your help and your interest in this crazy endeavor.

here is the radio issue. Goo goo dolls CD was the first 90’s album in the “top drawer” hopefully they don’t mind. Should have used Hints Allegations and Things Left Unsaid as it was about the same time and a great album.

thank you so much!

Quick Reply: Our new 1992 Crown Majesta!