Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered a new Encore GX today.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
traffic here is busier than EVER, by far. part of that (besides snowbird traffic) is recent major additions of distribution centers for Fed Ex, Amazon, Chewy's (pet stuff), Autozone, etc. being located between orlando, tampa, jacksonville, talahassee, right on i75 with low cost warehouse space, low cost land, and yes, lower wages (and low taxes) makes it pretty ideal for distribution. our chamber of commerce was just voted best in the country! we also have loads of people moving here constantly, not just retirees, all ages.
You've got a point with Amazon....they are taking over the world. They recently built their East Coast HQ in Arlington, VA, just across the river from D.C., not very far from me, driving up home-values and driving out lower-income people that couldn't afford it. Bezos, of course, also owns the Washington Post.

we have excellent healthcare facilities (and tons of them, plus of course world famous mayo in jacksonville and tampa, and shands hospital in nearby Gainesville/UofF).
we have parks/rec/pools galore. our enormous YMCA was expanded massively with a generous gift by the owner of our huge Toyota dealership here!
florida's economy is obviously very strong and very business friendly. everyone i talk to just can't keep up.
we don't have mountains (GA/NC not THAT far though), but we certainly have hundreds of miles of amazing beaches.
about natural disasters, being inland and where we are i have no concerns about hurricanes - one of the reasons i was ok moving here.
I wasn't knocking Florida one bit. Glad you enjoy it ....do you have any problems with large insects, coral snakes, aggressive bees/ants, or alligators? They are relatively common in the state.

what stuff won't they need? they still have to park, back out of driveways, go in/out of garages, drive on highways, etc. i live in a rural setting (outside of town) but still have to do all those things regularly and i have an office in town.
To clarify, blind-spot/lane/cross-traffic/pedestrian-object monitors probably are of little use when you regularly drive in conditions like this: It's classic overkill.....like laying mouse-traps when you already have a cat (or a Jack-Russell Terrier) out each day killing off the rodents.

Old 11-12-20, 04:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You've got a point with Amazon....they are taking over the world. They recently built their East Coast HQ in Arlington, VA, just across the river from D.C., not very far from me, driving up home-values and driving out lower-income people that couldn't afford it. Bezos, of course, also owns the Washington Post.
Queue that tom petty song Even the Losers I can play it.....I've had the stock since ~1998. But, when my son lost a key to my wife's GM, which is nothing more than an old school fob, I said **** I gotta make up this $173!!! So I bought more amazon stock, it was 9/19 and around $1,800/share.

Bezos has an interesting story, I never realized he was born to a HS student and spent time growing up on his grandpa's farm, where they did eveything from repairing tractors to birthing animals.

How much stock did I get? Well I was very young back then and my coworkers laughed--"Why would you buy a stock for $175/share? How many can you buy?" They all snickered. I bought 6 shares. Do the math....
Old 11-12-20, 04:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
traffic here is busier than EVER, by far. part of that (besides snowbird traffic) is recent major additions of distribution centers for Fed Ex, Amazon, Chewy's (pet stuff), Autozone, etc. being located between orlando, tampa, jacksonville, talahassee, right on i75 with low cost warehouse space, low cost land, and yes, lower wages (and low taxes) makes it pretty ideal for distribution. our chamber of commerce was just voted best in the country! we also have loads of people moving here constantly, not just retirees, all ages.

we have excellent healthcare facilities (and tons of them, plus of course world famous mayo in jacksonville and tampa, and shands hospital in nearby Gainesville/UofF).
we have parks/rec/pools galore. our enormous YMCA was expanded massively with a generous gift by the owner of our huge Toyota dealership here!
florida's economy is obviously very strong and very business friendly. everyone i talk to just can't keep up.
we don't have mountains (GA/NC not THAT far though), but we certainly have hundreds of miles of amazing beaches.
about natural disasters, being inland and where we are i have no concerns about hurricanes - one of the reasons i was ok moving here.

what stuff won't they need? they still have to park, back out of driveways, go in/out of garages, drive on highways, etc. i live in a rural setting (outside of town) but still have to do all those things regularly and i have an office in town.
Don't know why I had thought you were in Cali....my brother from another mother lives in St. Augustine. We go back and forth about FLA. He got divorced but until 2 years ago, he's always lived in really nice houses down there, mostly on the east coast but last one was in Lakeland and a gated community. I always busted on him for having one of those arms that swings out so you can fill up your pot of water for pasta, I mean who does that!!!! A few extra steps isn't gonna kill you! lol
Old 11-14-20, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This is one of the Encore GX's best features (It's a $520 option, but, IMO, worth it). With your arms full and the fob in your pocket, simply place your foot over the protected Buick image under the rear bumper, and the hatch lid pops up. Seems simpler and less fool-proof than the similiar foot-sweep action that Ford uses in the Escape.

Of course, how well that system will work (or how well the image can be seen on the ground) when there is snow, leaves, debris, etc......behind the vehicle remains to be seen. I guess I'll find out when I actually get the chance.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-14-20 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-15-20, 05:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Would it really be that difficult for this guy to put down his sexy leather bag and use his hand to open the door?
Old 11-15-20, 05:08 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't understand the high interest in the foot swipe for the hatch. Hit the hatch button on the fob on your way to the vehicle, it will already be open. Also, I see this as a bit dangerous if it is i raining, icy, etc. Very easy to slip.
Old 11-15-20, 05:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
I don't understand the high interest in the foot swipe for the hatch. Hit the hatch button on the fob on your way to the vehicle, it will already be open. Also, I see this as a bit dangerous if it is i raining, icy, etc. Very easy to slip.
With most of the vehicles with this feature there is also the option of the button near the license plate light so there are 3 ways to open the lift gate or trunk depending on preferences or situations.
Old 11-15-20, 05:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jer
It is offered because the segment is ultra competitive. The guy standing on his foot is to help market the feature. Notice how the guy is not an old person? Old people who have walkers and mobility issues are not gonna stand on one foot....in the Buick video the woman is carrying a fancy sloth teddy bear and paper bag from shopping...Personally speaking, I'd rather save the money or spend it on some other feature such LED lights which are not standard for GM...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-15-20 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-15-20, 06:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

What if he slips and his shoes make contact with the bumper and get dirty? They look like nice shoes! I was always one of those who appreciated that Porsche still had a key one had to twist on the left of the steering column. Again, that's like holding on to identity. Pretty sure as late as 2017 911's still twisted a key to start the engine. That's how I justify the LS430 still has to twist, despite having a smart key. It's just darn cool for hipsters only!
Old 11-15-20, 07:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What if he slips and his shoes make contact with the bumper and get dirty? They look like nice shoes! I was always one of those who appreciated that Porsche still had a key one had to twist on the left of the steering column. Again, that's like holding on to identity. Pretty sure as late as 2017 911's still twisted a key to start the engine. That's how I justify the LS430 still has to twist, despite having a smart key. It's just darn cool for hipsters only!
Or....what it he uses the button on the rear of the vehicle gets his hand dirty and then touches his nice sweater? Decisions decisions.
Old 11-15-20, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
. Notice how the guy is not an old person? Old people who have walkers and mobility issues are not gonna stand on one foot....
A completely bogus argument. One does not have to stand on one foot....simply stand on the image. Or, with a walker, simply lean the walker itself over the image.

Personally speaking, I'd rather save the money or spend it on some other feature such LED lights which are not standard for GM...
You may not be doing the amount of shopping that I do. For several reasons, I don't keep a lot in my refrigerator, so I'm at the grocery store at least several times a week....not to mention other shopping.
Old 11-15-20, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Would it really be that difficult for this guy to put down his sexy leather bag and use his hand to open the door?

Apples and oranges. A relatively light leather bag is one thing....an armful of groceries is something else, particularly if heavier items are in the bag, like large beverage-containers.
Old 11-15-20, 09:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

....an armful of groceries is something else, particularly if heavier items are in the bag, like large beverage-containers.
Standing on one leg sounds dangerous and risky....most use a shopping cart.
Old 11-15-20, 10:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Except if your hands are full then you cant get to the key to press the button.

I LOVE this feature. We use it all the time with the van, our hands are always full and holding kids hands and things like that and being able to just kick under the hatch and the sliding doors is really really great.

What if its raining and you don't want to put your nice leather bag down on the ground? I have many times struggled opening the trunk in my Lexus holding my nice leather bags and not wanting to put them down on a wet ground.

Standing on one leg sounds dangerous and risky....most use a shopping cart.
Wha?!

You aren't "standing on one leg" you kick your foot under the hatch for one second. I walk up to the car all the time carrying bags, grocery bags I don't want to drag a cart out into the parking lot and have to return it. Having this feature on the Pacifica and not having it on the Lexus, its a real pain not having it on the Lexus. Luckily the BMW 750 I will likely get next has it also.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-15-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-15-20, 10:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have no doubt the kick thing is a nice feature...I would not pay for it as I would rather have the price be lower or use the money for some other feature (like standard LEDs)...but I am glad there are people who want/enjoy it

Quick Reply: Ordered a new Encore GX today.