Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered a new Encore GX today.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I think once you had a car with that feature you would find you would not want another car without it.

I never thought of it as worthwhile until I had a car with it.
Old 11-15-20, 10:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Maybe....or maybe not. My new 4Runner has lane departure (waste of my money to me) and annoying with the beeps so I turn it off...Same with dynamic radar cruise as I don’t care for it. But I am happy I got LED lights as well as LED fog lamps which so many cars seem to omit in the modern area. I also got full speed stop which is good to have...but if I could save $1K or $2K I would gladly omit most of that. I would trade LDA or radar cruise for a CD player.

I don’t particularly load the rear cargo area for any of my SUV’s or the trunk for my car as I usually put bags of groceries and stuff like that in the rear seat behind the driver.

I 100% would pay extra for the telematics I now have.

I do think the Buick logo on the ground is a nice touch. And the kick or swipe feature is probably a better set up than the Toyota way where they use the elbow swipe.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-15-20 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-15-20, 11:21 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Maybe....or maybe not. My new 4Runner has lane departure (waste of my money to me) and annoying with the beeps so I turn it off...Same with dynamic radar cruise as I don’t care for it. But I am happy I got LED lights as well as LED fog lamps which so many cars seem to omit in the modern area. I also got full speed stop which is good to have...but if I could save $1K or $2K I would gladly omit most of that. I would trade LDA or radar cruise for a CD player.

I don’t particularly load the rear cargo area for any of my SUV’s or the trunk for my car as I usually put bags of groceries and stuff like that in the rear seat behind the driver.

I 100% would pay extra for the telematics I now have.
CA spec 4R has full speed cruise control.... congrats. US spec GX makes due with the old high speed DRCC which I find annoying.
Old 11-15-20, 11:22 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So whats the update @mmarshall on build status?
Old 11-15-20, 01:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
I don't understand the high interest in the foot swipe for the hatch. Hit the hatch button on the fob on your way to the vehicle, it will already be open. Also, I see this as a bit dangerous if it is i raining, icy, etc. Very easy to slip.
The example in the pic is a bad one. Better one is the parent carrying the baby with a toddler in tow and/or packages, stroller, diaper bag, etc.

My Hyundai doesn't even require a kick--just stand by the hatch for 3 seconds.
Old 11-15-20, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So whats the update @mmarshall on build status?

December, supposedly. The 2021s were delayed some because the 2020 introduction occurred in the spring, not the previous fall as is usual.

Although the sister Chevy Trailblazer is selling faster than they can be delivered (arguably the top-selling crossover in the U.S.), GM, as is customary, offered large incentives the 2020 Encore GXs to move them quicker, but I'm not convinced. Experience has shown that, although there are some unusual exceptions like the 2012 Buick Verano, first-year GM products can be risky. And the Verano was not a true Buick product.....simply a rebadged/re-engineered Opel with a GM drivetrain.
Old 11-15-20, 01:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
The example in the pic is a bad one. Better one is the parent carrying the baby with a toddler in tow and/or packages, stroller, diaper bag, etc.
Perhaps the image of the young parent with one or two kids is not needed......Like with the RAV-4 and CR-V, that is the type of buyer that is going to be naturally attracted to the vehicle to start with. True, I'm single and attracted to it, but that is for other reasons.

My Hyundai doesn't even require a kick--just stand by the hatch for 3 seconds.
Yes.....my Brother's Kia Sportage has the same feature.....probably with the same hardware. I think I'd prefer a system, though, which, even with a fob, requires some direct driver-input to open the latch. Otherwise, unless you can shut the system off, you may be constantly closing the hatch, while standing nearby with the fob, if you didn't want it open.
Old 11-15-20, 02:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
December, supposedly. The 2021s were delayed some because the 2020 introduction occurred in the spring, not the previous fall as is usual.

Although the sister Chevy Trailblazer is selling faster than they can be delivered (arguably the top-selling crossover in the U.S.), GM, as is customary, offered large incentives the 2020 Encore GXs to move them quicker, but I'm not convinced. Experience has shown that, although there are some unusual exceptions like the 2012 Buick Verano, first-year GM products can be risky. And the Verano was not a true Buick product.....simply a rebadged/re-engineered Opel with a GM drivetrain.
I would have thought that Rogue, CR-V, HR-V, Rav4 etc. would be the top selling CUV's in the U.S. right now.
Old 11-15-20, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I would have thought that Rogue, CR-V, HR-V, Rav4 etc. would be the top selling CUV's in the U.S. right now.

If you use the criteria how fast it moves off of dealer lots, the Trailblazer is tops. People are attracted to the low price and what it offers for the money, even with an (IMO) less-than-optimal power plant.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/why-is-...t-selling-suv/

https://www.autoguide.com/manufactur...-from-the-path

The Encore GX is not as popular as the Trailblazer, and seems to appeal to a slightly different buyer-group.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-15-20 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-15-20, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I actually prefer the kick to standing there for 3 seconds, we had that in the Sedona. You trip it by standing there even if your intention wasn’t to open the hatch, which can cause damage to the hatch. And you kick and it starts opening in way less than 3 seconds.
Old 11-15-20, 02:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
People are attracted to the low price and what it offers for the money, even with an (IMO) less-than-optimal power plant..
Is this the first 3 cylinder by GM in the American market? I wonder if Geo had a 3.
Old 11-15-20, 02:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if we will ever see “Hey Alexa...open the rear hatch”
Old 11-15-20, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if we will ever see “Hey Alexa...open the rear hatch”
Oh, without a doubt.

I can tell Alexa to start my Lexus, and that’s as behind as Lexus is with tech.
Old 11-15-20, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is this the first 3 cylinder by GM in the American market? I wonder if Geo had a 3.
I believe Geo had a 3 and the Chevy Aveo had a 3.
Old 11-15-20, 02:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think I can start my new 4Runner with Alexa. My Apple Watch. I know with my phone for sure. I don’t think I will resubscribe for the start feature

Quick Reply: Ordered a new Encore GX today.