Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered a new Encore GX today.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think I can start my new 4Runner with Alexa. My Apple Watch. I know with my phone for sure
You can, watch and phone. You have to have Alexa learn the skill. She can tell you how much gas you have, etc.
Old 11-15-20, 02:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I don’t have Alexa. Doesn’t matter to me TBH. I like the phone part where I can start it. Tells me the gas. Gives me updates if the vehicle is locked or unlocked. The renewal for the telematics are a la carte which is great.

Old 11-15-20, 03:25 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Is this the first 3 cylinder by GM in the American market? I wonder if Geo had a 3.
It did. That was the era that GM first revived the ZL1 moniker for the Camaro (just as a pilot at the time), and the running joke at the time was that each of its eight cylinders displaced more than the entire 3-cylinder engine in the Geo Metro of the day.
Old 11-15-20, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t have Alexa. Doesn’t matter to me TBH. I like the phone part where I can start it. Tells me the gas. Gives me updates if the vehicle is locked or unlocked. The renewal for the telematics are a la carte which is great.

Your app looks the same as mine!

Old 11-15-20, 03:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Makes sense as they are the same system. I am not sure what the competitors have or don’t have compared to Toyota/Lexus.
Old 11-15-20, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Makes sense as they are the same system. I am not sure what the competitors have or don’t have compared to Toyota/Lexus.
Yep, one of the nice things to me about getting another Toyota would be to have them under the same app. Other manufacturers are very similar, some are more sophisticated. This is the app for the Pacifica, I actually like Toyota’s better and it works better:

Old 11-15-20, 04:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yep, one of the nice things to me about getting another Toyota would be to have them under the same app. Other manufacturers are very similar, some are more sophisticated. This is the app for the Pacifica, I actually like Toyota’s better and it works better:

So no miles or fuel tank?

Originally Posted by geko29
It did. That was the era that GM first revived the ZL1 moniker for the Camaro (just as a pilot at the time), and the running joke at the time was that each of its eight cylinders displaced more than the entire 3-cylinder engine in the Geo Metro of the day.
That is an interesting running joke for the time.
​​​​​​​
Old 11-15-20, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, no miles to empty or vehicle mileage or status display, you for instance cant tell at a glance if the doors are locked etc. You also have in your app guest driver settings, so when its in for service it will notify you when it is started, if its driven above a certain speed or leaves a certain radius. I like that becuse I know when the car is being actively worked on vs just sitting there. I also like that for valet parking at a restaurant, etc.

I have mine set to buzz my phone if its not locked, so if I forget to lock it and walk away it tells me. Tells me if windows are left open etc. Pacifica's app doesnt do any of that
Old 11-15-20, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nope, no miles to empty or vehicle mileage or status display, you for instance cant tell at a glance if the doors are locked etc.
Are you talking about the Pacifica? Seems odd that a minivan designed for families and kids would not have some kind of graphic or other warning device to show if any of the doors, hood, or trunk-lid were unlatched or left open. Every new vehicle I've owned, at least since my Outback, has had a graphic-display more or less like this:

Same with the Driver-Information-Center and the trip-information features you listed. I can't imagine the Pacifica not having it.
Old 11-15-20, 04:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you talking about the Pacifica? Seems odd that a minivan designed for families and kids would not have some kind of graphic or other warning device to show if any of the doors, hood, or trunk-lid were unlatched or left open. Every new vehicle I've owned, at least since my Outback, has had a graphic-display more or less like this:

Same with the Driver-Information-Center and the trip-information features you listed. I can't imagine the Pacifica not having it.
It does in the vehicle, I'm talking about on the phone app.
Old 11-15-20, 05:11 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

This is a vehicle built by Fiat (Fix It Again Tony), the worst automaker on the planet...nuff said.
Old 11-15-20, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
This is a vehicle built by Fiat (Fix It Again Tony), the worst automaker on the planet...nuff said.
As I said, the Pacifica has all of these readouts in the driver info center. I was talking about the app.
Old 11-15-20, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
No. The Pacifica is not built directly by Fiat. It comes from the (unionized) Windsor, Canada UNIFOR plant, which is a Chrysler-operated plant. True, Fiat owns Chrysler, but it is not a traditional Fiat plant.

And, don't forget, Chrysler minvans have had QC issues going back to long before Fiat was ever in the picture.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-15-20 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-15-20, 06:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes.....my Brother's Kia Sportage has the same feature.....probably with the same hardware. I think I'd prefer a system, though, which, even with a fob, requires some direct driver-input to open the latch. Otherwise, unless you can shut the system off, you may be constantly closing the hatch, while standing nearby with the fob, if you didn't want it open.
That's what I originally thought, but the car has to be locked for this to work, so you can't just be standing next to your unlocked car and have the hatch keep opening inadvertently.
Old 11-15-20, 07:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
That's what I originally thought, but the car has to be locked for this to work, so you can't just be standing next to your unlocked car and have the hatch keep opening inadvertently.
On numerous occasions I would inadvertently cause the hatch to open on the Sedona. Talking to someone in the driveway, parking lot, etc.

Quick Reply: Ordered a new Encore GX today.