Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered a new Encore GX today.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 10:38 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Trailblazer does have one nice thing the Encore GX lacks......but only on the Trailblazer RS model. This Oasis Blue color is simply beautiful.....I would have strongly considered it if Buick had offered it on the GX. And Chevy should consider expending it to the whole Trailblazer line-up. But, obviously, the TB is selling like hotcakes with the color pattern it's got, so Chevy has little reason to make any changes....even though they insult buyers on the base Trailblazer L model with only one available color.....plain white, with a black interior.

It totally is a great color! Very playful and a bit exotic. It reminds me of BMW/Porsche's Riviera or Miami Blue.
Old 11-27-20, 10:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I guess I'm boring, I just don't love bright colors like that on any car
Old 11-27-20, 11:31 AM
southernx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM will shift operations from South Korea to China in the medium term.

From Reuters:
That blow to production was on top of the 60,000 units lost earlier in the year as the novel coronavirus spread, making it likely GM Korea would not turn a profit this year unless it could recapture that output, he added.

“We’re basically being held hostage in the short term by lack of vehicle production,” Kiefer said in a telephone interview. “That’s having a very significant short-term financial impact.”

The industrial action would “basically make it impossible for us to allocate any further investments or … new products to the country of Korea. It’s making the country non-competitive”, he said.

“It is going to have long-term effects if we can’t get this resolved in the coming weeks.”
Old 11-27-20, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I guess I'm boring, I just don't love bright colors like that on any car
High-end luxury vehicles of the type you bought often don't give you much choice....outside of the Pearl White, most of the available colors look like something out of Murphy's Funeral Home. Lexus, though, did, to their credit, not long ago, offer the gorgeous Matador Red on the LS.

Actually, one of the reasons I don't mind bright colors is that I went to high school with cars like this...........

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-27-20 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-27-20, 01:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by southernx
GM will shift operations from South Korea to China in the medium term.

From Reuters:
That blow to production was on top of the 60,000 units lost earlier in the year as the novel coronavirus spread, making it likely GM Korea would not turn a profit this year unless it could recapture that output, he added.

“We’re basically being held hostage in the short term by lack of vehicle production,” Kiefer said in a telephone interview. “That’s having a very significant short-term financial impact.”

The industrial action would “basically make it impossible for us to allocate any further investments or … new products to the country of Korea. It’s making the country non-competitive”, he said.

“It is going to have long-term effects if we can’t get this resolved in the coming weeks.”
Good ol' GM and China Whatever happened to being built with American labor?
Old 11-27-20, 02:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

High-end luxury vehicles of the type you bought often don't give you much choice....outside of the Pearl White, most of the available colors look like something out of Murphy's Funeral Home. Lexus, though, did, to their credit, not long ago, offer the gorgeous Matador Red on the LS.

Actually, one of the reasons I don't mind bright colors is that I went to high school with cars like this...........

I saw this color on a BMW forum and while it's interesting to look at, to me, it just doesn't work on a large luxury car like the 7 Series. I can see why most buyers in the segment don't usually go for the wild bold colors. Maybe on a smaller sporty vehicle.

Old 11-27-20, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^That is a beautiful-looking green on that 7-series....more-so than the traditional British Racing Green.

Ever notice how most colors seem to look better when there is light (or sunlight?) on them. It typically brings out the best.
Old 11-27-20, 04:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good ol' GM and China Whatever happened to being built with American labor?
3 magic deadly letters... U...A...W
Old 11-27-20, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
3 magic deadly letters... U...A...W
5-letters....corporate G-R-E-E-D.

The fact that Buick is importing the Envision from China (and paying Chinese workers slave-wages) was a major reason (among several others) why I chose the Korean-built Encore GX instead. There were other reasons as well, including overall size, shifter-design, and what I considered the Encore GX's value for the buck, but the country of manufacture was a significant one. Of course, if possible, given the choice, I would have preferred one built in a U.S. or Canadian plant by UAW or UNIFOR...but GM just didn't operate that way.

Oh, and BTW, some Encore GX models are also built in China, but not to American specs for export here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-27-20 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-27-20, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

5-letters....corporate G-R-E-E-D.
without corporate greed, we'd all be driving soviet LADAs. The workers in Chinese factories aren't forced labor these days.

Old 11-27-20, 09:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
without corporate greed, we'd all be driving soviet LADAs. The workers in Chinese factories aren't forced labor these days.
Although I've never owned or driven one, actually, from what I understand, Ladas were quite well-built and competent vehicles...certainly not like the crap-Trabants that came out of the former Communist East Germany .
Old 11-28-20, 07:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

General Motors should not be off-shoring their production for products consumed in the U.S.A...GM should not importing cars from China,,, to Volvo too

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-28-20 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-28-20, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

General Motors should not be off-shoring their production for products consumed in the U.S.A...
Well, first, you're preaching to the choir.....I've been saying that for several years now. (and you yourself seem to have been changing your mind on that position back and forth now. One day, you seem to support globalization, and the next day, you don't. Which is it? If you are like the majority of people, you will probably support it in some cases and not in others. Me, as I see it, yes, domestic production for domestic consumption...but, if one is determined to outsource, at least do so to a friendly country like South Korea, and not our major adversary China. If American/Canadian or Korean workers strike or want tocollective-bargain...then bargain with them.

GM should especially importing cars from China,,,
Might want to explain that one little better.....your wording and communication is a little off.
Old 11-28-20, 07:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, first, you're preaching to the choir.....I've been saying that for several years now. (and you yourself seem to have been changing your mind on that position back and forth now. One day, you seem to support globalization, and the next day, you don't. Which is it? If you are like the majority of people, you will probably support it in some cases and not in others. Me, as I see it, yes, domestic production for domestic consumption...but, if one is determined to outsource, at least do so to a friendly country like South Korea, and not our major adversary China. If American/Canadian or Korean workers strike or want tocollective-bargain...then bargain with them.
I have no issues with globalization..but there are drawbacks as well....however, it is very sad to see an American company like GM move so much of their production to China to have some of it imported to the USA (A total shame)...In contrast...Toyota has moved Lexus ES, and upcoming Lexus NX to North America......domestic automotive jobs still pay well for the average folk...not everyone can have a decent job or go to university...there needs be more middle ground jobs

Honda, BMW, Hyundai, Mazda all brought factories to the USA......they all still do the right thing

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-28-20 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-28-20, 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have no issues with globalization..but there are drawbacks as well....however, it is very sad to see an American company like GM move so much of their production to China to have some of it imported to the USA (A total shame)...In contrast...Toyota has moved Lexus ES, and upcoming Lexus NX to North America......domestic automotive jobs still pay well for the average folk...not everyone can have a decent job or go to university...there needs be more middle ground jobs
Agreed that GM should not be helping to prop up Chinese factories. If that trend keeps up, this may be my last new GM product....though I basically like most GM products and the way they drive.

In fact, as I've said before, if we can get outdoor electric-rechargers in our condo development, this may (?) be my last ICE vehicle, period. As it is, though, the chargers are available close by at some local businesses.

Honda, BMW, Hyundai, Mazda all brought factories to the USA......
Agreed...but they didn't have to. They are overseas companies that are not HQ'ed under the American flag, but did so for ethical reasons, given their large number of sales in the U.S. and the profits they make here. In Mazda's case, being Ford-owned, Ford executives had the power to tell them where to locate their plants. And, with BMW, another factor was the incredibly high cost of production in Germany.....it is actually lower in the U.S., at their Spartanburg, SC plant.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-28-20 at 07:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Ordered a new Encore GX today.