Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered a new Encore GX today.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK, as far as I'm concerned, back to the topic.

The dealership reiterated to me the other day....a standard four to six months on a Korean-order. Time will tell how much the Korea-strike delays production, but, in general, since the order was in mid-August, anywhere from a mid-December-to-mid-February delivery forecast. Doesn't matter.....I'm not in that big a hurry.

Looks like both me and Steve had to be patient this time. Steve took several months just making up his mind on which big German sedan he wanted, and I just have to wait, period, LOL.
Old 11-29-20, 10:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wrong. BMW came here for the same reason that Audi shifted TT production from Germany to Hungary....the enormous salary and benefits that German workers get. Also, companies sometimes get tax benefits for relocating here.

Toyota built its truck-plant in San Antonio because of the immense popularity of trucks in Texas, hoping to cash in on at least part of that enormous market. A secondary reason was the location of Toyota of America HQ in Plano, TX, just a couple of hundred miles away.....having been run out of California because of that state'e insane level of taxes and regulations.

That would cost Toyota enormously in PR. Not only would the U.S./Canadian governments, but a good part of the pubic itself would look upon it as extortion....and sales would suffer.
But they actually would not suffer. Toyota HAS closed a plant in America. And it WAS a plant where they employed UAW workforce’s.

There are numerous southern states that would offer big incentives if word came that Toyota was to close a plant because of UAW

All Toyota has to do is threaten to close the plan if it goes union...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-29-20 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-29-20, 10:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

deleted/////

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-29-20 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-30-20, 09:19 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Labor unions fill different needs in different countries. It’s much more costly & restrictive to manufacture in Europe. I don’t know much of anything about Korean labor unions. Canadian unions are run a lot different than in the US. In Canada, UNIFOR had a major breakthrough in getting GM to reopen & retool the giant Oshawa, Ontario factory complex. That was a win for everyone. Like it or not, the UAW is probably the only reason vehicles are still made in the USA & not China or Mexico. My own experience with vehicles being made in Mexico has not been good & I don’t want another. Labor unions can be a double-edge sword. I toured the Saturn plant in TN when GM was making Saturn. That was a well run ship! The UAW mirrored the GM management & all decisions were jointly made. UAW workers had to be the best of the best in order to transfer to that factory. GM was the one that destroyed that lineup. They tried to mix all their small car brands together with Saturn & that’s not what Saturn was about. That killed quality, which in turn, killed sales. GM’s bankruptcy was the final nail that killed off the Saturn brand. Some would say corporate greed was the reason for GM’s failure. They became too bloated & complacent & felt they were too big to fail. Bankruptcy was a good thing for GM, as it forced them to become much more competitive.

The main reason Japanese & European manufacturers built factories in the USA was to avoid tariffs. By assembling their vehicles in the USA, it allows them to save on import taxes & tariffs, as well as sea transportation. We need to do all we possibly can, to keep as much manufacturing in the USA & OUT of China!
Old 11-30-20, 09:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
General Motors should not be off-shoring their production for products consumed in the U.S.A...GM should not importing cars from China,,, to Volvo too
says the person who only wants Toyota and Lexus products made in Japan.

Old 11-30-20, 09:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I'm not a moderator, seems this thread (me included) is getting too bogged down in union-vs.-corporation arguments instead of the thread-topic vehicle.
Good point. I'm going to close this thread. Please feel free to start a new thread when you have the car.