Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered a new Encore GX today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 05:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And the world's last remaining sedan customer has converted to a SUV.

Wondering how come you went with such a small SUV? I though you liked plush large vehicles?

Last edited by Och; 08-13-20 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 05:27 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. And what better group of car-people to share it with than in Car-Chat?
You flatter us.
Old 08-13-20, 05:32 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Wondering how come you went with such a small SUV? I though you liked plush large vehicles?
I would've expected waiting for the new Envision.
Old 08-13-20, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

A fair question...especially in light of my past posting. I'll address it.

It's true that, in general, you cannot beat the comfort of a big, softly-spring full-size sedan. But, the traffic conditions in my area, the demands of the type of shopping we do today, the need to maneuver and park in small areas and tight spaces, the constant hazards of hitting something or someone at close range, the occasional need to carry bulky items, the way I often come out with my hands full of packages, my height and stooping to get in out of low-slung sedans, the need for more ground clearance to avoid curbs/parking-blocks on low-hanging body parts, the convenience/safety of AWD in bad weather, and the need for me to have more safety-features than my last car had all point to one thing, now, even for me, yes....a smaller crossover. There is a reason why these vehicles are selling so well.....even with the admitted loss in comfort over more traditional larger sedans.
Old 08-13-20, 05:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A fair question...especially in light of my past posting. I'll address it.

It's true that, in general, you cannot beat the comfort of a big, softly-spring full-size sedan. But, the traffic conditions in my area, the demands of the type of shopping we do today, the need to maneuver and park in small areas and tight spaces, the constant hazards of hitting something or someone at close range, the occasional need to carry bulky items, the way I often come out with my hands full of packages, my height and stooping to get in out of low-slung sedans, the need for more ground clearance to avoid curbs/parking-blocks on low-hanging body parts, the convenience/safety of AWD in bad weather, and the need for me to have more safety-features than my last car had all point to one thing, now, even for me, yes....a smaller crossover. There is a reason why these vehicles are selling so well.....even with the admitted loss in comfort over more traditional larger sedans.
I get all of that, but I am surprised you did not get a larger SUV. The Encore GX is very compact.
Old 08-13-20, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I would've expected waiting for the new Envision.

I strongly considered waiting for the 2Gen Envision, but I decided to nix it, for several reasons. First, the Encore GX offered the same general styling theme (which many reviewers have liked) in a smaller, much less-expensive (my Select model, even with options, was only a little over 30K), and probably easier-to-park and maneuver package. Second, the GX offers the kind of shifter I like...a traditional PRNDL fore/aft lever, instead of an electronic device like the new Envision. Third, the GX is available now.....the new Envision won't be out till next year. Fourth, the GX is at least built in South Korea, one of our allies. The Envision is built in China....our economic arch-enemy. I soundly wish that both of them were built here at home, with American labor (remember my many comments on the big GM/UAW strike last year)? But, if my money has to go overseas, I'd rather it go to people in Korea who we are allied with, than to our economic arch-enemy.

I will admit, though, that the new Envision comes with what probably will be a smoother-running and more refined turbo-four to the GX's three-pot turbo. That was probably the only thing I would have found more appealing in the new Envision.

I also considered waiting for a new Bronco (I like the looks and versatility)....but, four things. First, they will probably be near impossible to get from the hype and publicity. Second, there will probably be dealer mark-ups...I'm at least getting a discount on the Encore GX. Third, Broncos are true off-roaders, and are probably not the type of vehicle I really need....they would probably ride too stiff for me, so, let the people who really want this type of vehicle (many of whom will probably be trading in Jeep Wranglers) have their pick of them instead. Fourth, too often (though not always), a first-year new Ford product means endless trips to the dealership for warranty-repairs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-20 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
The Encore GX is very compact.
Right now, so are many of my driving-conditions. But some of that is helped by the Encore GX's space-efficiency, and the fact that the right front seat folds flat enough to carry very long objects inside.

I also liked the Encore GX's interior, which IMO, particularly in the two-tone, is worthy of the Buick nameplate...more so than the slightly larger, existing 1Gen Envision (not the upcoming 2Gen, which will probably be a major upgrade)

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-20 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 06:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Say it ain’t so...turbo, 3 cylinder, non-sedan, hood prop, Korean-tarrifed, mmmm 45 series tires? Congratulations on your new Buick. Marshall has crossed over from sedans

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-13-20 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 06:51 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Korean-tarrifed
What Korean tariff are you referring to?
Old 08-13-20, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Say it ain’t so...turbo, 3 cylinder, non-sedan, hood prop, Korean-tarrifed, mmmm 45 series tires?
Some of it ain't so. The Select trim level comes with 55-series tires, not 45. Even the Sport package does not have 45s.

No, I don't like hood-props, but you yourself mentioned before that, with today's vehicles, one doesn't go under the hood that often.

I believe that Korea is exempt from the auto-tariffs...there have been several recent statements in Car Chat about that.

I said earlier in the thread that I'd prefer it (and the new Envision) to be American built....but I can't control where GM's managers decide to ship their labor. And I felt (and still do) that, given the choice, it's better, with your shopping, to support one of your allies (Korea, where the Encore GX is built) than the Chinese, who will build the new Envision (they also built the last Envision). Of course, walk into almost any department store (particularly Target or Walmart), and it's virtually impossible to avoid Chinese-made goods....they literally rule the shelves.

Congratulations on your new Buick. Marshall has crossed over from sedans
Thanks......but it wasn't something I had originally planned to so. But, again, I can't control the driving/manuvering conditions in my area, which, unfortunately, aren't well-suited to large, heavy, low-slung sedans...particularly without safety-avoidance features. Plus, I'm getting older.....and entry/exit height, while not a big issue now, may well be in the future.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-20 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-14-20, 02:25 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 680 Likes on 425 Posts

Congrats, MM!
Old 08-14-20, 03:48 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! Congrats.

How long have you had your Lacrosse? 3 years? Maybe 4? That seems like it's going to be a heck of an adjustment going from a large V6 powered traditional sedan to a 3 cylinder compact crossover.
Old 08-14-20, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Congrats, MM!
Originally Posted by tex2670
Wow! Congrats.
Thanks.

How long have you had your Lacrosse? 3 years? Maybe 4?
You have a good memory.

That seems like it's going to be a heck of an adjustment going from a large V6 powered traditional sedan to a 3 cylinder compact crossover.
Yes and no. Four things. First, I test-drive so many vehicles of all sizes (from the Smart-for-Two all the way to the Ford Excursion) that I pretty much know what most vehicles (not all) feel like. And it's to the first time I downsized from a full-sizer to a compact....I did it in 1975, at the height of the 70s fuel-crises, after I got my first full-time job and started commuting every day. Second, as large and comfortable as the Lacrosse is on the road, it's just not well-suited for the type of driving and close-range manuvering/parking I (now) routinely do almost every day....I had an incident come up a few weeks ago that drove home that point, but I'm not gong to go into it now. Third, I am downsizing (and getting something more versatile) for pretty much that reason. Fourth, remember, the Encore GX is a Buick, with a Buick-grade interior and, despite the somewhat unrefined engine, still has a dose of the Buick Quiet-Tuning. That's one reason why Buicks typically run a little more than equivalent Chevies...though IMO the Encore GX is still a bargain for the equipment offered.

One thing I will miss, even though I didn't always keep my cars that long, is the Cadillac-grade 6/70 and 4/50 Warranty that Buick used to have...it's been scaled back to a Chevy/GMC-grade 5/60 and 3/36.

Granted, the Encore GX is not as silky-smooth to ride and sit in as the Lacrosse, but I typically don't make long drives, and I need something easier to maneuver and park. I also like having the Encore GX's AWD system that can be disconnected when it is not needed (which is most of the time). And the Chevy/Buick/GMC shop I use has been superb in the way they have treated me over the years...this is my third new Buick from them. The Encore also, for the price, has a lot of safety-avoidance gear in it that I probably should have gotten on my Lacrosse, and didn't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-14-20 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-14-20, 07:02 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Congrats! Write up required!
Old 08-14-20, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Congrats! Write up required!
Won't have it for probably close to a couple of months. Yes, I'll do a write up when it comes in. From my test-drives, though, the only thing I don't like is some typical three-cylinder vibes from the engine, at low RPMs, on start-up and low-speed acceleration. Sure, it doesn't ride quite as smooth as the Lacrosse, or have quite as cushy seats, but one has to expect that in a small crossover. It does, IMO, have an interior worthy of a Buick, particularly up front.

The main reason I chose the Encore GX over the Trailblazer (same platform, same mechanicals) was that I thought the Encore was much better looking both inside and out...simpler and more attractive. I also have a longstanding attraction to the Buick nameplate. The Trailblazer was somewhat awkward-looking, although I Iiked its two-tone roof packages. The Encore offered several two-tone black-roof or white-roof combinations, but not with the Bronze color I liked. Both have good workmanship ad materials inside, especially for this class of vehicle.

Quick Reply: Ordered a new Encore GX today.