Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered a new Encore GX today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 09:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Five things.
Maybe i missed it but i only saw four enumerated.
Old 08-14-20, 09:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Maybe i missed it but i only saw four enumerated.
Thanks.....I corrected the typo.

BTW.....isn't it time for you to start shopping pretty soon? When does the lease run out on that G90?
Old 08-14-20, 09:40 PM
HavokHam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see them pics
Old 08-14-20, 09:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HavokHam
Lets see them pics

The vehicle was just ordered....won't be here for weeks. I posted Google-images, earlier, of what it will look like.
Old 08-15-20, 04:46 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats MM! Hopefully it will come in quickly and when it does, enjoy it in good health!
Old 08-15-20, 07:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Congrats MM! Hopefully it will come in quickly and when it does, enjoy it in good health!
Thanks, TripleL. I'm not in a terribly big hurry. I've been through this a number of times in my life.....both for me and for other car-shoppers.

And, yes, my health does seem to have improved quite a bit lately, for several reasons, but definitely among them has been being able to regularly swim again. IMO, shutting down the pools for the pandemic probably did us older folks, who depend a lot on the water for exercise, more harm than good.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-20 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-15-20, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I can’t believe I missed this...

Congrats! With you in an SUV, sedans are truly dead lol. I wish you good health and enjoyment with it.

My Lexus got hit in the back last week (thread about it in the LS460 forum, I’m okay and it was very low speed but the car is pretty f’ed up) and then I immediately went out of town. And I’ve shopped around while sitting on the beach. What hit me was a big lifted Jeep, and it just wiped out my trunk. Part of Me wants to be higher off the ground like everybody else...
Old 08-15-20, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I can’t believe I missed this...

Congrats! With you in an SUV, sedans are truly dead lol. I wish you good health and enjoyment with it.

My Lexus got hit in the back last week (thread about it in the LS460 forum, I’m okay and it was very low speed but the car is pretty f’ed up) and then I immediately went out of town. And I’ve shopped around while sitting on the beach. What hit me was a big lifted Jeep, and it just wiped out my trunk. Part of Me wants to be higher off the ground like everybody else...

Thanks. Glad that apparently no one got hurt. Was it totalled, or are you going to have it repaired? (probably takes a lot to total a 3-year-old LS). I know, from your posts, that you, like me, aren't impressed with the new LS500, so I'd assume you'd have reason to want to keep the 460, or get another CPO like it on the used-car market to replace it, though you said you may (?) have a possible deal on an S560 in the works.

I greatly respect the S-class for its unsurpassed ride-comfort and safety-features, though it is way more than I'd care to spend on a car.
Old 08-15-20, 10:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Not totaled, but the trunk lid has to be replaced, and blended into the quarter panels so it’s going to be a pretty extensive repair ($7k) all from a lifted Jeep bumping me in a drive thru
Old 08-15-20, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not totaled, but the trunk lid has to be replaced, and blended into the quarter panels so it’s going to be a pretty extensive repair ($7k) all from a lifted Jeep bumping me in a drive thru
Probably couldn't see you, in your low-slung LS, over that lifted hood....and most of those lifted Jeeps are older models, without obstacle-detection devices on them.
Old 08-15-20, 12:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats on the new SUV!

I got my first SUV in December and I personally never liked them.
Unfortunately nowadays there so many more SUV options than sedans and I feel the engineers/designers are placing more effort into them. SUVs have greatly improved in past 10years in terms of design, comfort, luxury and performance. You can’t say the same for sedans.

Personally I wish BMW offered 3 or 5 Series wagon as I think that would have been my choice. They are planning to do M3 wagon for the 1st time - would be perfect family car!

Old 08-15-20, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Congrats on the new SUV!
Thanks.

I got my first SUV in December and I personally never liked them.
Unfortunately nowadays there so many more SUV options than sedans and I feel the engineers/designers are placing more effort into them. SUVs have greatly improved in past 10years in terms of design, comfort, luxury and performance. You can’t say the same for sedans.
Although the new 2021 Bronco will be an exception, most of today's SUVs are crossover/raised-height AWD station wagons, not traditional SUVs.

Personally I wish BMW offered 3 or 5 Series wagon as I think that would have been my choice.

BMW offered them before, and the sales in the U.S. were just not high enough to sustain them. Subaru seems to be the only manufacturer that can still sell wagons in the U.S. in big numbers....perhaps Volvo, to a lesser extent.
Old 08-15-20, 02:23 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats on the new CUV. You are going to love it. I've owned a CUV since the first Lexus RX300 in 2001. I've never turned back.

Also, thanks for not buying a Chinese Envision. I was happy to read your reasons. I only wish more people would think like that.
Old 08-15-20, 03:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Congrats on the new CUV.
Thanks.

You are going to love it.
So far, based on my static-observations and test-drive, I like almost everything about it, except for the pair of three-pot turbo engines.....and, unlike the past, I have become flexible enough that I can learn to live with them. I especially like the two-tone interior, paint colors, flexibility of use, ground clearance, AWD/FWD-disconnect, and its general overall size for easy driving/manuvering/parking in the dense-traffic and tight-parking areas I frequent almost every day.

I've owned a CUV since the first Lexus RX300 in 2001. I've never turned back.
An Encore GX, though a little larger than the former Encore, is certainly not in the same class as an RX, a D-class crossover......but, IMO, it is at or near the top of the B-class crossovers, and is probably on the borderline of a B and C-class.

Also, thanks for not buying a Chinese Envision. I was happy to read your reasons. I only wish more people would think like that.
Agreed. Yes, I like the Buick nameplate (I have for many years)...but I'm not going to help them, or GM, support the Chinese economy with labor that is both probably underpaid and should be here in the U.S. or Canada to start with. Don't forget, this is the company that not only shut down almost half a dozen U.S. and Canadian sedan-producing plants less than two years ago (Ford has also done some of the same things), but also brought on the longest and largest UAW strike in some 50 years.

And that is not the only reason I decided to nix the next Envision. Unlike the Encore GX, it uses an electronic shifter on the console.....the Encore GX has the traditional fore/aft PRNDL console-lever that I prefer. The new Envision, although very impressive-looking style-wise, also is probably at least one size larger than I'd like for easy maneuvering. And I don't think they are going to sell for 30K or less like my GX did.

On the other hand, though, to be fair, we can probably (ultimately) thank the Chinese for the fact that Buick, as a Division, still exists in the U.S. Buick probably would have been axed 10 years ago, along with Pontiac and Saturn, except for the fact that the Chinese loved the nameplate back then (and still do), give Buick 80% of its world-sales, the Lacrosse was selling very well in the U.S. back then, especially with older folks, and, though signs were definitely growing in that direction, the SUV craze in the U.S. had not yet reached the proportions it has today. And the Chinese public, themselves, will probably buy a lot of new Encore GXs, even though it is built in Korea.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-20 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-15-20, 03:48 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i'm late to the party, but congrats! it seems like just yesterday you were writing about your new lacrosse. haha.

Quick Reply: Ordered a new Encore GX today.