Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered a new Encore GX today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 02:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by oilburner1
now that is slick, why did it take until 2020 for someone to come up with this? It drastically increases the usefulness as a hauler. Any other GM vehicles come with this style of front seat?
My 09 Matrix has this feature.
Old 08-19-20, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TDMR
Buick has long catered to senior drivers
So? In the past, so has Lincoln. So have several other makes. And tell that to all of the people in their 30s driving the last-generation Buick Encore. Like it or not, the average age of the Buick buyer has dropped considerably in the last 7-8 years, as they have introduced new products.

I do, however, respect your opinion, though I don't agree with it, and my experience has shown otherwise.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-19-20 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My 09 Matrix has this feature.
Jill is correct. The Matrix had a fold-flat passenger seat some time ago. The Encore GX and Trailblazer are probably the first American-badged use of it.
Old 08-19-20, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XCVImpreza
In the view below it looks like a well-groomed Pomeranian intent on dropping a deuce.

This car is too polite to drop a deuce in public. And, despite its small size, it is more of a working dog than a show-Pomeranian.
As far as "well-groomed", though, I do agree that is a sharp-looking color, particularly with the two tone interior....that's one reason why I chose it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-19-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 03:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by TDMR
We need to create an additional forum titled: 'General Car Chat for Seniors'
This way Buick will have its own sub-forum and the rest of us will not get pinged about 'Grocery Getters'
you are way out of line. all types of posts and comments about all kinds of cars are welcomed in Car Chat. if you're not interested in a thread title, don't read the thread.

Old 08-19-20, 03:21 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

This car is too polite to drop a deuce in public. And, despite its small size, it is more of a working dog than a show-Pomeranian.
As far as "well-groomed", though, I do agree that is a sharp-looking color, particularly with the two tone interior....that's one reason why I chose it.
For a small car, I think this looks great! I like the color too. Enjoy!
Old 08-19-20, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I certainly can’t fault anyone for buying this little gem.
For a small car, I think this looks great! I like the color too. Enjoy!

Thanks. I had (and still have) some second-thoughts about the three-pot engine, but the rest of the vehicle is an ideal versatile small daily driver. And, unlike the other subcompact American-market crossovers this size, it has a Buick-grade interior and insulation.....although the Lexus UX is also a standout in this size crossover.

I considered a UX, but, except for the always-excellent NuLuxe seat-upholstery, I didn't like its interior materials/design, the way the undersized console controls for the audio system worked, or the (IMO) annoying spindle-grille that Lexus simply refuses to do away with. Its road-manners, though, were as good or better than the Buick's. and Lexus has kept the 6/70 and 4/50 warranties that Buick used to have and has now dropped back to 5/60 and 3/36. The UX also cost a lot more, and IMO, was not as good a value for the money. The Mercedes and BMW offerings in this price class were not a consideration, for several reasons. The Trailblazer was too-overstyled IMO, and I did not trust the potential unreliability of the Cadillac XT4 (which, like the UX, would have cost a lot more).

It’s too small for me,
Do you have a large family? It's quite roomy and space-efficient inside, but I agree it is not the vehicle for a larger family. It appeals mostly to single people like me, couples, and maybe those with small families.

but I know several people that own them & love them as their primary or commuter car. I really haven’t heard much bad about them & I see them all over the roads, so they are a top seller. Enjoy!
The sibling Trailblazers, on the road, are multiplying like rabbits...I don't think the Encore GX will quite match their sales, although, like I said earlier, I do think it will likely end up as Buick's best seller.
Old 08-19-20, 04:24 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

I ordered a Buick. 6-8 weeks delivery time.
I bet the waiting is the hardest part. Try not to hype yourself up too much
Old 08-19-20, 04:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats on the order. I think the earth trembled a little bit when you placed it.

Also weird how we got random influx of new/newish users complaining about a non-Lexus being posted in the general car chat. For those of y'all just tuning in, there are a lot of us here who joined the forums when we owned a Lexus but have since switched to other brands for a variety of reasons. I myself am just not really into luxury cars that much, but the LS400 was priced right for college-aged me in 2011. But I like the forum and the people here so I stuck around after I switched to Ford.

Old 08-19-20, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdls
I bet the waiting is the hardest part. Try not to hype yourself up too much

Thanks...but I'm used to it. I've been through this numerous times....many times, if you also include shopping with/for others.
Old 08-19-20, 04:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Why do people feel the need to post stuff like "I thought this was a LEXUS forum? Can they not see that 90% of the threads in this forum are not about Lexus vehicles? And to go to the effort to join the site just to post that as a first post? I don't get it.

I was getting my rental car washed today (yeah, I'm THAT guy, I'll post a thread about that too...its not a Lexus so bring it haters) and I was very surprised to see a young guy with a black Regal getting it washed...demographically I would never have placed this guy in a Buick, but there he was polishing it and very obviously loved it a lot.
Old 08-19-20, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Congrats on the order. I think the earth trembled a little bit when you placed it.
Probably no more than when bit went from a JGC to a Genesis G90 sedan.

For those of y'all just tuning in, there are a lot of us here who joined the forums when we owned a Lexus but have since switched to other brands for a variety of reasons.
I myself was one of those. When I joined CL in 2003, I had a Lexus IS300.

I myself am just not really into luxury cars that much, but the LS400 was priced right for college-aged me in 2011. But I like the forum and the people here so I stuck around after I switched to Ford.
^^^ I'll bet you enjoyed that LS400, even in college. I loved the big Buick I had in college....liked big luxury cars even as a teenager.
Old 08-19-20, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Why do people feel the need to post stuff like "I thought this was a LEXUS forum?
The best answer to that is probably "Why does the sun come up in the morning?"

Can they not see that 90% of the threads in this forum are not about Lexus vehicles? And to go to the effort to join the site just to post that as a first post? I don't get it.
Not only that, but most auto forums on the Internet are the same way.......they include a forum for general car-chat.

But IMO, let's not pile on that new poster too hard...he (or she) maybe just needs to learn by experience. We all make mistakes, and hopefully learn from them.

and I was very surprised to see a young guy with a black Regal getting it washed...demographically I would never have placed this guy in a Buick, but there he was polishing it and very obviously loved it a lot.

Have you ever owned a black car? 20 minutes from then, even on clear day, it probably needed to be washed again LOL.

And Thank You for showing what I've been saying for years....that Buicks are not necessary a Geriatric brand. I liked them even as a teen ager....so did my best friend at the time.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-19-20 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 05:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I would love to have a black car, but I just can't do it. It would drive me crazy.
Old 08-20-20, 05:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Probably no more than when bit went from a JGC to a Genesis G90 sedan.
ROFL or from my tricked out GS400 to a Ford Explorer LOL

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would love to have a black car, but I just can't do it. It would drive me crazy.
i'm at my office and have a mobile detailer outside working on my car. i love work, i could watch it all day

Quick Reply: Ordered a new Encore GX today.