Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Kills All V8 Engine Development

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 04:59 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Wealthy old people are usually the primary target audience of cars with twin turbo V8's. Most UX/NX/RX/ES drivers I've seen are people (mostly women) in their 30s and 40s.
More like Wealthy people usually 30+. Most Old people are not buying TT V8's
Old 08-13-20, 05:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
More like Wealthy people usually 30+.
You're going to find a lot less of those than wealthy old people. And old people like going fast too- average age of a Corvette buyer is 59.
Old 08-13-20, 05:29 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

59 is not old except to someone in their 20's, let's just say old are those 65 and over.
Old 08-13-20, 05:30 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I agree with Toyota Motor Corp.
My attention is on electrification.
Toyota chose H fuel cells to pump big billions into and they're still charging forward with it.
To your point, I guess it's still electrification though.
Old 08-13-20, 05:32 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

More like Wealthy people usually 30+. Most Old people are not buying TT V8's
Most of the "Old" men in my neighborhood have V8 muscle cars...classic and new. They grew up with them and were driving them long before most of us.
Old 08-13-20, 05:47 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
59 is not old except to someone in their 20's, let's just say old are those 65 and over.
Makes no difference. 65 is a lot closer to 59 than 30.

Matter of fact is that there aren't many young people who have the wealth to blow on these expensive V8 and more powerful cars brand new. And the reality of TTV8's is that most of them are in luxury cars, not hard-edged enthusiast sports cars.

Last edited by Motorola; 08-13-20 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 05:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 472 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Toyota chose H fuel cells to pump big billions into and they're still charging forward with it.
To your point, I guess it's still electrification though.
By electrification, I mean genuine electrification, ie BEV's.
Gasoline electric hybrids, plug-ins, and hydrogen fuel cell powered EV's is not genuine electrification.
Old 08-13-20, 06:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Makes no difference. 65 is a lot closer to 59 than 30.

Matter of fact is that there aren't many young people who have the wealth to blow on these expensive V8 and more powerful cars brand new. And the reality of TTV8's is that most of them are in luxury cars, not hard-edged enthusiast sports cars.
Most enthusiast cars are FI because its easy to tune. Most millennials don't really care about V8s...they would rather have an EV. Makes sense for Toyota to ditch V8s...dinosaur technology in this day and age.
Old 08-13-20, 06:30 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Most enthusiast cars are FI because its easy to tune. Most millennials don't really care about V8s...they would rather have an EV. Makes sense for Toyota to ditch V8s...dinosaur technology in this day and age.
"Dinosaur technology" that makes me smile every time I push the start button. Have you tried watching Formula E? Not exactly exciting. It's like watching golf carts go around a track.
Old 08-13-20, 06:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
"Dinosaur technology" that makes me smile every time I push the start button. Have you tried watching Formula E? Not exactly exciting. It's like watching golf carts go around a track.
Yeah...not the most exciting thing to watch. I agree that F1 is much more entertaining. With the regulatory bodies attacking ICEs, I'm not surprised Toyota is killing development.
Old 08-13-20, 07:14 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Disappointing but not at all surprising. Lexus has been pushing the elimination of the V8 so hard for basically the last 10 years, as anyone who has been on the Lexus Advisory Board knows.

Lexus doesn't care about enthusiasts. Only old people.
Just to fully dispel this - it's actually old people, and specifically older Americans, who are more likely to want the V8s. This is clear from Lexus Advisory Board surveys.

This makes sense, since for a long period in America, V8s were the minimum to be considered luxury. But that perception - made before mainstream hybrids and EVs as well as prior to widespread turbocharging - is rooted in the past. The new generations feel differently.

I do agree that Lexus no longer cares at all about enthusiasts.

Last edited by gengar; 08-13-20 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 07:29 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I can deal with the 6 cylinder but I will not buy another 4 cylinder engine again. IS200T was enough to deter me from any future iteration. Soon, I can see Lexus only offering 4 cylinders Hybrids and keep the 6 cylinder only for the very high tier cars ala LS/LX etc.
Old 08-13-20, 08:32 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
By electrification, I mean genuine electrification, ie BEV's.
Gasoline electric hybrids, plug-ins, and hydrogen fuel cell powered EV's is not genuine electrification.
This point can be argued. I am by no means a fan of FCEVs... in fact, quite the opposite, I loathe them. But I steadfastly call an FCEV "electrified" because of the fact that it uses an electric motor as its sole means of motive power. To me, compared to a BEV it just has a different electric supply source in the fuel cell.

And again to your earlier point, you said that you agree with Toyota Motors, yet Toyota has failed to offer a mainstream BEV so far. Just hybrids and white elephant HFCEV projects that really waste their money.
Toyota had a giant lead on everybody else when it came to electrification when they brought the mainstream hybrid Prius to market. Instead of developing the battery tech, they just.. I don't know.. stopped innovating. Along came Tesla to eat their lunch.

Last edited by sdls; 08-13-20 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 09:58 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 472 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
I can deal with the 6 cylinder but I will not buy another 4 cylinder engine again. IS200T was enough to deter me from any future iteration. Soon, I can see Lexus only offering 4 cylinders Hybrids and keep the 6 cylinder only for the very high tier cars ala LS/LX etc.
My missus has IS200t too.
It has a flat spot down the bottom, and the engine makes a tiring burbling sound at low RPM.

However, I haven't been happy with the flat spot at small throttle openings in both BMW's in-line six twin turbo and Mercedes' Chrysler Pentastar based 60 degree V6 twin turbos either - before the turbos wind up to compression speed.

Just me only, but I still like atmos the most, and I will move from atmospheric directly into BEV's, with no turbos, nor gasoline electric hybrids, nor plug-ins, nor hydrogen fuel cell electric in between.

This point can be argued. I am by no means a fan of FCEVs... in fact, quite the opposite, I loathe them. But I steadfastly call an FCEV "electrified" because of the fact that it uses an electric motor as its sole means of motive power. To me, compared to a BEV it just has a different electric supply source in the fuel cell.
Terminology is not that important, so let's not get our knickers in a knot.
For example, a Lexus RX isn't really an SUV at all; RX is actually a CUV.
Likewise, classify Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powered Electric as you see fit; I won't argue with you.

The important point is that Toyota Motor Corp is sacrificing V8's to channel their money and manpower into battery powered electric vehicles.

And again to your earlier point, you said that you agree with Toyota Motors, yet Toyota has failed to offer a mainstream BEV so far. Just hybrids and white elephant HFCEV projects that really waste their money.
Toyota had a giant lead on everybody else when it came to electrification when they brought the mainstream hybrid Prius to market. Instead of developing the battery tech, they just.. I don't know.. stopped innovating. Along came Tesla to eat their lunch.
Hydrogen fuel cell powered electric is a partial mistake by Toyota Motor Corp, but HFCEV tech is still important in the short term for commercial vehicles which travel long distances and require rapid refuelling, while we await major advances in solid state and graphene battery technology.

Furthermore, about 10 years ago, the Japanese had a dispute with the Chinese regarding ownership of the Sendaku islands in the East China Sea, and the Chinese withheld supply of rare earth metals to Japan, such that the Japanese had to not only invest in HFCEV technology, but the Japanese had to begin "decoupling" so that the Japanese are NOT heavily reliant on Chinese-sourced rare earth metals.

Sacrificing V8's will give Toyota Motor Corp both money and manpower to focus on Battery Powered Electric Vehicles BEVs.
Old 08-13-20, 10:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Toyota Kills All V8 Engine Development

"Something wicked Electrified this way comes"

Quick Reply: Toyota Kills All V8 Engine Development