Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Kills All V8 Engine Development

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 02:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
There are several methods to destroy meteors or throw them off a collision course with earth including nuclear detonations to destroy the meteor or to throw it off course, heat, solar sails, etc. We don't have a single rocket that can track, target and launch a warhead at a incoming asteroid in space in our arsenal even though it is possible to build one and could be done if given enough time but there is no monec.
We'd have plenty of time to see it coming. And the more decades that go by the better technology we'll have to mitigate if (when?) that ever is an issue.

But it is crazy to think about. And Deep Impact is a horrible, horrible movie but I like it, lol.

And the Green New Deal is just stupid fantasy, speaking of bad movies. Lol.
Old 08-20-20, 07:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

While I`m not surprised at Toyota decision in light of the hybrid and FCEV push, I`m surprised at the timing of this. As a business thats world reknown to work with piezoelectric preciseness, cutting waste and excess before it even is a thought on a vision board, Toyota just struck down a project that was years in the making, and basically ready for market. Usually decisions like engine RD are quite thought out (with future regulation in mind) since the costs associated are not cheap
Old 08-22-20, 09:15 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
That can't touch FI V8 cars, keep telling yourself all the annoyances of living with an EV are worth it when a C5 blows you away
Never been blown away by a C5, and after nearly two years of ownership, I've found far fewer annoyances with owning an EV than my ICE vehicles. Just the opposite, I'd be hard-pressed to buy another ICE, given the lengthy list of EV advantages I've realized over the course of ownership. Change happens and I understand why Toyota is making some of these moves, but the bigger issue is they aren't filling a void, which leaves people like me to go to other brands. It's a shame, considering I wanted them to build performance-oriented hybrids for years, which would've been a nice segue into BEV territory.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Im 24 and let me tell most of this generation only "like" turbos and EVs since most have never experienced a V8 never mind a powerful one. Every single person I have taken for a ride in a powerful one drops the desire for other options
Which powerful, non-turbo V8 car are you referring to? From personal experience, I'd say the opposite is true. The people who like power will enjoy a V8 (or anything fast, really), while the ones who aren't as impressed with illegal speeds, stop and scoff at the fuel costs (majority). That's been my direct experience, no bias. To be blunt, most people I've given a ride/let drive the 3, either end up wanting an EV or will consider one for their next car. Conversely, I've never had anyone offer the same reaction after riding in the F, besides enthusiasts who liked "fast(er)" cars or V8s beforehand. "Enthusiasts" mostly talk a good game on the internet, but fewer of them translate that talk into new car sales, so it's hard to take them seriously when it comes to influencing a brands decisions. That said, I like V8 cars as much as the next guy, but the writing is on the wall.
Old 05-07-21, 08:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Toyota/Lexus Turbo V8 still alive?? Patent filings from Sept 2020 were found

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...is-still-alive
Old 05-07-21, 09:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Toyota/Lexus Turbo V8 still alive?? Patent filings from Sept 2020 were found

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...is-still-alive
Yes I read about this last night. Next LX might still keep a V8 engine... There is hope. The upcoming LQ crossover would surely offer it, too.

Lexus completely blew my mind with the IS500 news so I'm more hopeful than I was with the brand. The only compact sports sedan that comes with a V8 is in a damn Lexus, that's just glorious.
Old 05-07-21, 10:11 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

This may have been posted somewhere else but saw this on youtube, I don't know how true it is but this guy seems to think the LFA is coming back but with a new tt V8 and that is why they stopped development on the LC-F.

Old 05-07-21, 02:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

This may have been posted somewhere else but saw this on youtube, I don't know how true it is but this guy seems to think the LFA is coming back but with a new tt V8 and that is why they stopped development on the LC-F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tRLT3xI9QI
I don't believe anything that guy talks about. It's all clickbait.
Old 05-07-21, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I don't believe anything that guy talks about. It's all clickbait.
yes, awful videos.
Old 05-10-21, 09:22 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tRLT3xI9QI
Oh god stop posting this guy's video. He has snippet of unsubstantial info and he will make a 10-min video out of it. Waste of time!!
Old 05-11-21, 08:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Oh god stop posting this guy's video. He has snippet of unsubstantial info and he will make a 10-min video out of it. Waste of time!!
The social media era allows anyone to post anything with clickbait just for likes and attention to get paid. So many "YouTube experts" now it's ridiculous. Unfortunately a lot of viewers run with the information as factual and keep spreading it around.

Old 05-11-21, 09:46 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
The social media era allows anyone to post anything with clickbait just for likes and attention to get paid.
In Kirk's case, making YouTube videos was so profitable that it allowed him to quit his job as a Lexus dealer. He's literally living off clickbait funds.
Old 05-11-21, 01:55 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Clickbait or not, turning the LFA into a regular production car is sacrilege. Though I wouldnt put it past Toyota these days.
Old 05-11-21, 03:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
In Kirk's case, making YouTube videos was so profitable that it allowed him to quit his job as a Lexus dealer. He's literally living off clickbait funds.
and here we are discussing it in clickbait thread about V8 development killed by Toyota, which we now know is not true, that was reported by hundreds of media outlets.
Old 05-11-21, 04:50 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
and here we are discussing it in clickbait thread about V8 development killed by Toyota, which we now know is not true, that was reported by hundreds of media outlets.
I'm not sure what gave you the impression that Toyota was making a new V8.