Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ES 250 is back for 2021! AWD, updated Hybrid, and Black Line Edition as well

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Not to get all up in your grill, or anything, but, if I needed AWD, I could live with the 4-banger, but, not sure I could live with the grill. If the grill is deal breaker, why not talk about it? We don't really know if the grill has hurt sales or not. Maybe they would have sold many more units with a reasonably styled grill.
Then buy something else. The grill has been around for 8 years, its beaten to death here on CL. Sales are up, not down.

Like it or not, big grilles are in, and the spindle grille is Lexus now. Complaining about it over and over for years on end does nothing. This is the second generation of the ES that has had the spindle grille, and this is a discussion of the new AWD version...not the long established spindle grille.
Old 10-23-20, 12:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Did I hear the guy say the new ES is virtually silent?.....then he says "very, very, very, very, very" well insulated? Among the quietest cars he has ever tested There is no sound...no wind noise...very very muted

The goal of the I4 was to keep the cost under/at the V6 price as AWD is not an extra cost option above and beyond the V6 price points

Spindle grille is a hit and miss...but it is a personal choice as is with all exteriors...(I too wish some members would tone it down a little) as I get their point already.

PS...the 07 ES and 07 LS are hard to tell apart from a distance too.
Old 10-23-20, 01:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hey...didn’t Buick do the complete opposite of what Lexus is doing with their ES...how did that work out for Buick? Lincoln failed at sedans like GM....odd you think a zig zag shifter is a poor idea when you have a E shifter in your Lacrosse.
I've said, many times, that I would pave preferred a Lacrosse with a conventional fore-aft shifter like the last version had, but that was not an option. That was one area where Lexus (so far) has been correct and Buick has not.

BTW, for the record, I might (?) have stated an error in one of my earlier posts. When I talked about bringing back the 2.5L V6 for the AWD, I momentarily forgot and was maybe comparing apples and oranges....the IS250AWD, which used that small V6, is a longitudinal-engine layout, while the ES uses a transverse layout. The 2.5L V6 may or may not fit that transverse layout.
Old 10-23-20, 01:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've said, many times, that I would pave preferred a Lacrosse with a conventional fore-aft shifter like the last version had, but that was not an option. That was one area where Lexus (so far) has been correct and Buick has not.

BTW, for the record, I might (?) have stated an error in one of my earlier posts. When I talked about bringing back the 2.5L V6 for the AWD, I momentarily forgot and was maybe comparing apples and oranges....the IS250AWD, which used that small V6, is a longitudinal-engine layout, while the ES uses a transverse layout. The 2.5L V6 may or may not fit that transverse layout.
It is 2020. A 2.5 V6 defeats the whole purpose...there already is a V6....the I4 is about cost.
Old 10-23-20, 01:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

The 2.5L V6 may or may not fit that transverse layout.
Easily, a V6 engine is shorter and there is plenty of fore/aft space.
Old 10-23-20, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000

True, the V6 block is short, but one must also take into about the size of the transmission casing behind it.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It is 2020. A 2.5 V6 defeats the whole purpose...there already is a V6....the I4 is about cost.
What was nice abut that engine, though, is that it gave V6 smoothness/refinement with the displacement/economy of a four. Didn't have much power (only 184 ft-lbs. of torque)...but that apparently that was not a factor with a lot of buyers, as it sold very well in the IS250, even in the AWD format.

Mazda used a similar set-up, some years ago (I don't know if you remember it or not) on the small MX-3 sport-coupe...a tiny N/A 1.8L V6 that had very little torque, but was much smoother than the typical Mazda fours.
Old 10-23-20, 05:02 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 295 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Then buy something else. The grill has been around for 8 years, its beaten to death here on CL. Sales are up, not down.

Like it or not, big grilles are in, and the spindle grille is Lexus now. Complaining about it over and over for years on end does nothing. This is the second generation of the ES that has had the spindle grille, and this is a discussion of the new AWD version...not the long established spindle grille.
the spindle grille looks bad 
Old 10-23-20, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Not to get all up in your grill, or anything, but, if I needed AWD, I could live with the 4-banger, but, not sure I could live with the grill. If the grill is deal breaker, why not talk about it?

We don't really know if the grill has hurt sales or not. Maybe they would have sold many more units with a reasonably styled grill.

Good points, Wilson. Agree on all counts.
Old 10-23-20, 05:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A least Lexus is still making sedans.
Old 10-23-20, 05:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The certainly coulda have put the 2.5. But what is the point?
Old 10-23-20, 06:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdls
the spindle grille looks bad 
Thats a perfectly valid opinion, but every discussion of a new Lexus model doesnt need to be about the spindle grille. The spindle grille is what it is.
Old 10-23-20, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm pretty sure you had on your shortlist a Lexus ES with a spindle grille.

Anyways, you've bought all kinds of things you've said you'd never buy so your credibility is shot to hell
Old 10-23-20, 06:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Its beyond time to stop complaining about the grille. The grille is here to stay, the grill has not hurt sales, deal with it lol.
Agree, all, please, NO MORE GRILLE comments.

Topic has been thrashed over and over in many other threads.

and this thread isn't about other brands killing their sedans either,

this es250 is a perfectly fine smooth luxury value sedan.
Old 10-23-20, 09:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm pretty sure you had on your shortlist a Lexus ES with a spindle grille.

Anyways, you've bought all kinds of things you've said you'd never buy so your credibility is shot to hell
I've also said, in public, many times, that I often don't know what I am (or am not) going to be driving in the future. That's something that Bitkahuna and I have both agreed on.

So, if my credibility is shot at, most of the bullets missed.
Old 10-24-20, 09:55 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

(moderator) NO GRILLE POSTS

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-24-20 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: ES 250 is back for 2021! AWD, updated Hybrid, and Black Line Edition as well