Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Auto Shifters: Older is Usually Better

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 10:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't eat in the car, so not an issue for me at all. Takeout food goes in the trunk.
Totally agree.
Old 08-25-20, 11:10 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, my cell phone integrates with the infotainment in all my cars, so i just stove it away. Nobody eats in my cars and lives. But that's not even the .
That was pretty funny.
Old 08-25-20, 11:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I don’t carry a bunch of stuff in the car either, nor do I eat in it, but a lot of people do
Old 08-25-20, 11:55 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

My car is trashed, and I know that's going to get me some disdain on here.

I always keep LS430 100% clean and shiny on the outside, tires so shiny it looks wet. The car glows.

But the inside is junked full of CVS receipts and RX bags, etc. I also put stuff in the back seat and forget to take it out. It reallllly needs a gooooood detail and then I'd be super picky about keeping it clean inside.
Old 08-25-20, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I will also say that none of these shifters would
keep me from selecting a car I otherwise like.
Old 08-25-20, 12:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
My car is trashed, and I know that's going to get me some disdain on here.

I always keep LS430 100% clean and shiny on the outside, tires so shiny it looks wet. The car glows.

But the inside is junked full of CVS receipts and RX bags, etc. I also put stuff in the back seat and forget to take it out. It reallllly needs a gooooood detail and then I'd be super picky about keeping it clean inside.
what about your Escalade truck? Messy?
Old 08-25-20, 02:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I keep my truck generally clean on the inside, but sometimes I fall behind in tax season.

​​​​@mmarshall to your point about waiting until you get home for recharging, drinks etc.....do you not go on road trips? My phone is always on the charger when I'm on the road. If, god forbid, something bad should happen along the way such as a wreck or a break-down, I want to start off the situation with a fullly charged phone battery as I am often 100 miles away from civilization. I typically use one of the cupholders for my phone as that feels like the most natural resting place for it where it doesn't fly around the cabin if I have to make a sudden maneuver.

I have the bench seat with the seat back that flips down as a console. Sure it doesn't have the storage space of the Ram like @4TehNguyen and I'd be lying if i said i wasn't a little envious of that, but the versatility makes up for it in my usage. I occasionally have 5 passengers + myself in the truck so it's nice to be able to accomodate that. the seat also folds up to provide additional storage under the cushion. All told I have 6 cupholders in the truck, not counting door pockets which adds another 4. Anything that stays in my truck long-term goes underneath or behind the back seat, though I do keep a few boxes of shotgun shells under the driver and passenger seats for impromptu trips to the clay range.

In terms of the column shifter being outdated or taking up space, I guess I just disagree. I feel like Ford did a great job of making it look minimalistic and relatively modern vs the old clunky shifters of yesteryear while still retaining the nostalgic feel of driving the trucks of the 80's and 90's that I grew up with. It shifts solidly and stays out of my way. It doesn't block anything that i['m trying to look at or handle. I'll rest my right hand on it sometimes when I'm doing activity that requires quick transition from wheel to shifter(usually off-roading).

Old 08-25-20, 03:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I will also say that none of these shifters would
keep me from selecting a car I otherwise like.
some of these definitely would for me. to me, a shifter is a detail that should look cool. i can't think of any vehicle i've owned where i didn't think the shifter was cool.

Originally Posted by AJT123
life happens and i'm certainly not ocd about my car... i just found a GREAT mobile detailer, so i'm NEVER going to the car wash or washing my car again. i'll just get him every now and then!
Old 08-25-20, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks

@mmarshall to your point about waiting until you get home for recharging, drinks etc.....do you not go on road trips? My phone is always on the charger when I'm on the road. If, god forbid, something bad should happen along the way such as a wreck or a break-down, I want to start off the situation with a fullly charged phone battery as I am often 100 miles away from civilization. I typically use one of the cupholders for my phone as that feels like the most natural resting place for it where it doesn't fly around the cabin if I have to make a sudden maneuver.
I'm not saying that one could not (or should not) ever use the cell-phone charger on the console...I occasionally use it myself, especially during a power-failure. But, most of the time, at least for me and others like me, we keep it charged up at home, so that it's ready to go if and when needed. And, yes, I agree, on a long trip, there may be few alternatives. My lifestyle, though, doesn't generally involve long trips anymore...I did enough if them when I was young, and driving long distances was a lot more fun.
Old 08-25-20, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

People want to be able to charge their phones. Thats just a fact. If I didn't charge my phone in the car, it would go dead during the day.

If people didn't want wireless chargers in cars, carmakers wouldn't add them. Thats also just a fact.
Old 08-25-20, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i just found a GREAT mobile detailer, so i'm NEVER going to the car wash or washing my car again. i'll just get him every now and then!

That may work in Florida where you live, and where roads don't ice up, but not in many other places. Do mobile-detailers have the equipment needed to wash the salt off of the undercarriage and inside wheel-wells?
Old 08-25-20, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If people didn't want wireless chargers in cars, carmakers wouldn't add them. Thats also just a fact.
Doesn't change anything I said. In some states, though, cell-phone use while driving is illegal unless hands-free.
Old 08-25-20, 05:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And having your cell phone sitting in a wireless charger means it isn't in your hand, so what do hands free laws have anything to do with wireless chargers in cars? Nothing.

And yes, mobile detailers can spray out an undercarriage of a car. Some use your water, some bring their own water.
Old 08-25-20, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We've also drifted off from the main topic.....shifters. I think we all got onto cell-phones on the console talking about what sometimes goes in the space formerly occupied by shifters. But some vehicles have managed to keep the lever-shifter and incorporate cell-phone recharging at the same time.
Old 08-25-20, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And yes, mobile detailers can spray out an undercarriage of a car. Some use your water, some bring their own water.
Good. Just asking.....I have not used one. Cleaning the undercarriage and wheel-wells is still something I do myself. Better yet, I try not to drive any more when there is a lot of salt.

Quick Reply: Auto Shifters: Older is Usually Better