Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Auto Shifters: Older is Usually Better

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I like the setup in the BMW 7 Series I am considering. The charging tray is behind the cupholders and can be covered.

I like this setup better than having the charger exposed (I like all that stuff hidden by doors in a luxury car, I hate exposed cupholders etc) or having it under the console lid where all of my junk is going to cover the phone.
Old 08-25-20, 05:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I like the setup in the BMW 7 Series I am considering. The charging tray is behind the cupholders and can be covered.

I like this setup better than having the charger exposed (I like all that stuff hidden by doors in a luxury car, I hate exposed cupholders etc) or having it under the console lid where all of my junk is going to cover the phone.
The good part about the BMW is that it has wireless Carplay. That is way more useful for me than standard carplay.
Old 08-25-20, 06:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Yep, I like the wireless CarPlay.
Old 08-25-20, 06:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I use the wireless charger in my Tacoma all the time. It’s wonderful.
Old 08-25-20, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That may work in Florida where you live, and where roads don't ice up, but not in many other places. Do mobile-detailers have the equipment needed to wash the salt off of the undercarriage and inside wheel-wells?
you're right, that's a question NO ONE asks here.
Old 08-25-20, 07:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Yep, works very well in our new X6M, although I dont use carplay, I prefer bmw apps. Both are wireless, so it's just a matter of preference, you will really like it once you get the hang of it.
Old 08-26-20, 05:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not saying that one could not (or should not) ever use the cell-phone charger on the console...I occasionally use it myself, especially during a power-failure. But, most of the time, at least for me and others like me, we keep it charged up at home, so that it's ready to go if and when needed. And, yes, I agree, on a long trip, there may be few alternatives. My lifestyle, though, doesn't generally involve long trips anymore...I did enough if them when I was young, and driving long distances was a lot more fun.
If you use your phone for GPS; if you are out all day shopping (pre-pandemic), at the amusement park (pre-pandemic), at a sporting event (pre-pandemic), hiking, picnicking, you forgot to plug in your phone the nite before; people who are at work all day, and don't have desk jobs with the ability to charge their phones at work; contractors and other people who are "out and about" for work or school all day; etc, etc, etc, it doesn't matter that your phone was fully charged up hours ago at home. Most people have the need, at some point in every day life, to charge their phone in the car. I recall one post a few weeks ago when you encountered the C8 Corvette where you said you didn't take pix because you didn't have your phone with you--this is not how most people go about their daily lives nowadays. Very few people purposely leave the house without their phone.

Last edited by tex2670; 08-26-20 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 05:48 AM
oilburner1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One shifter took up the space of two one-gallon jugs? No offense, but, sorry, I don't think so. You must be mistaking the size of the two jugs.
recall that the center console area in a pickup truck was once used for a third seat. Somehow we've progressed from having enough space for a person to sit, to having two cupholders and a shifter and a whole bunch of wasted plastic in that space.

Old 08-26-20, 05:53 AM
oilburner1
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and a great big mechanical pole sticking out of the steering column at an angle is classy? LOL
pretty much looks the same as the wiper and turn signal stalk..
Old 08-26-20, 06:01 AM
oilburner1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och
I don't get the obsession of hoarding crap in the center console, or the obsession with a bunch of cup holders. I am a minimalist, and I hate having anything I don't need in my car, so I prefer console mounted shifters, and I couldn't care less if they are not space efficient.
much harder to deal with a lack of storage in the car than a surplus. Some of us use our vehicles for work. In my ridgeline center console I kept useful things like flashlight, tire pressure gauge, logbook, leatherman, spare prescription glasses, map books, first aid kit etc. In the trunk there was always an emergency kit, change of clothes, rain gear, a toolbox with basic tools. I don't get the obsession of carrying nothing and not eating/drinking in the vehicle ever either, most of us live in the real world.
Old 08-26-20, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by oilburner1
pretty much looks the same as the wiper and turn signal stalk..
Really? Only 3 times bigger and fuglier.

[/QUOTE]
Old 08-26-20, 09:21 AM
dinnerzone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree for sure. Though I so like the zig-zag style that was introduced in the early 2000s. If they're made well, their operation is really smooth, and there's no lock button. I've been very happy with the shifter on my LS430. My Girlfriend has a 2013 Elanta with the same style of shifter. It's not nearly as smooth, but makes up for it with very defined notches between the gears.

These new button style ones just aren't all that great. It'd perhaps work a little better if it were in the style of the original old Dodge Dart. At least make it in a way that most of the gears have a similar button press as opposed to Acura's take of making a different style of button for each gear.
Old 08-26-20, 11:51 AM
Bob_fromLA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifters

While I had not owned a column shifter in over 30 years (everything manual until getting married in 1989), I do appreciate the one in my 2001 GMC truck. With that shifter, there are zero controls / electronics anywhere near the coffee cup holders or any other common source of debris. Although I am an electronic engineer, I'm not a long term fan of all the electronic interaction because everything will fail at some time. It is generally possible to fix mechanical stuff after manufacturers support goes away, but not so great with electronics. That is one reason that a number of museums that want drivable cars are selling anything really recent. Long term, all the electronics and plastic are major failure points, although 3D printing may help with the later. The Mercedes Classic center advertises that they will support all cars, including the electronics. However, when they have to redesign something due to lack of parts you can stand by for a substantial bill!!

I love the old car simplicity, but do note that anything that had to deal with Fed requirements, like stepping on the brake before start and ability to turn engine off only while in park, are likely to have all kinds of mechanical links. The shift mechanism on my wife's beloved 1998 Volvo S90 is a bit of a mechanical wonder, the design has fortunately been reliable to this point but any substantial parts for that era Volvo are now basically junkyard items. Even parts for my GMC truck are becoming unavailable, particularly for the 8.1 liter big block engine that I love!
Old 08-26-20, 12:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_fromLA
Even parts for my GMC truck are becoming unavailable, particularly for the 8.1 liter big block engine that I love!
Whaaaaat? That is very surprising. American truck parts are a dime a dozen and generally pretty cheap.
Old 08-26-20, 12:32 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Hmm, let's see, out of the cars my wife and I owned:
  • 2001 Buick Century: column shifter
  • 2010 Toyota Camry: zig-zag PRNDL shifter, I believe there was a manual mode to the side.
  • 2011 Nissan Versa hatchback: straight PRNDL shifter
  • 2015 Toyota Camry: zig-zag PRND, with S to the side
  • 2015 Nissan Versa Node: straight PRNDL shifter
  • 2016 Lexus IS 300 AWD: zig-zag PRND, with M to the side
  • 2016 VW Golf GTI DSG: straight PRNDS shifter, manual mode to the side

See a pattern? All the Toyota/Lexus products are zig-zaggin'. I didn't mind them at all. I've dealt with the BMW shifters and Jaguar's rotary shifter before, and those aren't terrible either. I could get used to them. Push-button ones scare me.

Quick Reply: Auto Shifters: Older is Usually Better