Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Acura ILX A-Spec vs 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 03:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
thanks! it is fun to drive and is much more serene than the fiat. it's not phytonic blue, it's mediterranean blue metallic. it's quite a striking color in person and i picked a color that's not seen on the road terribly often. the x2, actually, isn't seen on the road terribly often, so i'm pretty smitten with this little ride.
You should be smitten it's a nice ride. I didn't know the X2 came in Mediterranean Blue it's a beautiful color.
Old 08-29-20, 04:21 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You should be smitten it's a nice ride. I didn't know the X2 came in Mediterranean Blue it's a beautiful color.
yes! totally a beautiful color. i went into the dealership with a few vehicles that they had on the lot in mind and most were X2s although there were two X1s that i also looked at. i test drove both the X1 and the X2 and while they, of course, drive super similarly, the X2 felt more modern compared to the X1 which has been on the market for what seems like forever now. in person, i also really liked the X2 much more than the X1 -- i see X1s all the time, but X2s not so much.

anyhow, i'm a happy camper.
Old 08-29-20, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

That's quite a switch from the Fiat 124 to the BMW X2!

anyway, the X2 looks GREAT, and i wish you all the best with it. Please share more info on what you like/dislike about it, perhaps in a new thread.
Old 08-29-20, 11:48 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's quite a switch from the Fiat 124 to the BMW X2!

anyway, the X2 looks GREAT, and i wish you all the best with it. Please share more info on what you like/dislike about it, perhaps in a new thread.
thanks so much and I definitely will! I'll live with it for a while and then take some additional photos, or just reuse the ones that i've posted here as i don't think many people have noticed that i've purchased a totally new vehicle. i'll create a new thread and discuss some of the likes and dislikes. this is my first time owning anything coming out of anywhere but japan - no, that's not quite true, the brief time i owned the fiat, while it came out of japan, the motor was an fca motor, but really that doesn't count as i had that car for less than two months' time! i'll see if i have to put this bmw's warranty to work or not! lexus has spoiled me in reliability and i'm bound to get to the bottom of bmw unreliability.

i can already tell you that looking through just the cars on the lot of a hendrick-group owned bmw dealership with TONS of new x2s in their inventory was exhausting as the options are so a la carte and can be super niche. i did most of that from home but once i got the dealership, there were even more x2s that the dealership hadn't yet posted to their website as tons cars had arrived recently due to covid-related reopening of plants or whatnot and that added to the already immense amount listed online. it's insane how much you can customize a bmw x2 of all vehicles -- i get a bmw 7 series, but an x2? if lexus gave us those customization abilities with regards to options, we'd see a lot more differentiation in the models out there, that's for sure.
Old 08-31-20, 07:41 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Whew, didn't see that coming! As weird as it may sound, I like the idea of the X1 and X2. Though they are not classically-BMW-RWD, I think a vehicle of that size benefits from having a transversely-mounted engine. And I think it looks great - much more well-sorted than something like the 2-series Gran Coupe. But yeah I agree, big difference between a small roadster and a small CUV! Looking forward to the other thread.
Old 08-31-20, 02:18 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations. .
Just out of curiosity.......did your insurance company hit you hard on the new policy? M-cars, because of their reputation for being driven aggressively, probably don't have inexpensive insurance. Of course, it is not a two-seater like the 124 Spyder was......insurance companies often like to sock it to two-seaters.
I can answer that, I went from a 2016 Lexus IS200T, a very slow car to a 2020 BMW M340i as good performance wise as a GSF, and insurance dropped significantly. This most likely is due to all the safety tech BMW has. So don't believe the rumors lol.

PS. Op congrats on the X2, it's a nice car, I too prefer it over the X1.
Old 08-31-20, 02:27 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just out of curiosity.......did your insurance company hit you hard on the new policy? M-cars, because of their reputation for being driven aggressively, probably don't have inexpensive insurance. Of course, it is not a two-seater like the 124 Spyder was......insurance companies often like to sock it to two-seaters.
It's an X2 xDrive28i with M-Sport package. Not an X2 M35i (which isn't a real M anyway)
Old 08-31-20, 02:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

yes! totally a beautiful color. i went into the dealership with a few vehicles that they had on the lot in mind and most were X2s although there were two X1s that i also looked at. i test drove both the X1 and the X2 and while they, of course, drive super similarly, the X2 felt more modern compared to the X1 which has been on the market for what seems like forever now. in person, i also really liked the X2 much more than the X1 -- i see X1s all the time, but X2s not so much.

anyhow, i'm a happy camper.
Our X1 was a '17. I think it was the 2nd model year of the new gen (F48). One of the reasons we traded out of it a little sooner than normal, even though we enjoyed it, was the infotainment, navigation etc. It was an older generation and lacking some features that we wanted. I think all of that has since been updated. Also the non-sports seats could have been a little better - They have been improved too.
Old 08-31-20, 02:28 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

i can already tell you that looking through just the cars on the lot of a hendrick-group owned bmw dealership with TONS of new x2s in their inventory was exhausting as the options are so a la carte and can be super niche. i did most of that from home but once i got the dealership, there were even more x2s that the dealership hadn't yet posted to their website as tons cars had arrived recently due to covid-related reopening of plants or whatnot and that added to the already immense amount listed online. it's insane how much you can customize a bmw x2 of all vehicles -- i get a bmw 7 series, but an x2? if lexus gave us those customization abilities with regards to options, we'd see a lot more differentiation in the models out there, that's for sure.
You must have bought it at BMW of Murrieta. I was down there a few weeks ago hah
Old 08-31-20, 04:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the car, the color is gorgeous, but I don't even see it on BMW's website when building an x2?
Old 08-31-20, 04:14 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Och
Congrats on the car, the color is gorgeous, but I don't even see it on BMW's website when building an x2?
I believe it's because the builder on bmwusa.com is now on 2021 X2 which doesn't look like Mediterranean Blue is offered. Only Phytonic Blue Metallic and Misano Blue metallic for blues
Old 08-31-20, 04:46 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 295 Likes on 243 Posts

Sooooo, CL community, I decided that I had enough with the cheap Fiat and traded it in for my first ever German vehicle and a crossover at that. I present to you all my new 2020 BMW X2 xDrive28i with the M Sport package.
How badly did they stick you on negative equity with the Fiat trade in?

Old 08-31-20, 06:16 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You must have bought it at BMW of Murrieta. I was down there a few weeks ago hah
I DID!!! you know what, the deal was what kept the sale going because the people there are rude af. i can't stand the bmw dealership in murrieta and i would have driven to north county if they had better numbers.
Old 08-31-20, 06:17 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sdls
How badly did they stick you on negative equity with the Fiat trade in?
only 2.1k, which really isn't bad at all. i didn't roll it into the next loan, i decided to put 12k down on the bmw.
Old 08-31-20, 06:22 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
Whew, didn't see that coming! As weird as it may sound, I like the idea of the X1 and X2. Though they are not classically-BMW-RWD, I think a vehicle of that size benefits from having a transversely-mounted engine. And I think it looks great - much more well-sorted than something like the 2-series Gran Coupe. But yeah I agree, big difference between a small roadster and a small CUV! Looking forward to the other thread.
yes, so i'm a kindergarten teacher and i often lug things between the classroom in a nearby school district and my home in temecula, so i felt that a small cuv that had sporty bmw dynamics, albeit watered down ones, was a great choice.

the fiat 124 spider felt very unsafe on the highway and it lacked the safety features that the bmw has. also, i made the mistake of not driving the fiat on the highway, so while cute and all, cute isn't going to cut it when it's riding at about a bajillion decibels at 70mph.

lesson learned -- take a vehicle on an extended test drive before you sign on the dotted line. i mean, everyone, though, says that the miata is such a great car and this is a rebadged miata essentially with a different engine, and really i don't see the appeal. i test drove both vehicles and ultimately chose the fiat over the mazda, but even then i was kinda eh with regard to the driving experience.

anyhow, it just made a whole lot of sense to buy something practical, attractive, comfortable and slightly fun to drive as a commuter car when transporting this or that here or there. you really understand the limitations of the lexus IS with regard to practicality when it's your only car and then you buy a fiat that's about half the size of the lexus. ugh. glad to have joined the bmw camp, so we'll see how this bmw treats me.

Last edited by davyjordi; 08-31-20 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Acura ILX A-Spec vs 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso