Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When sitting at a long red light (automatic tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 08:36 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax
I was actually thinking of the transmission and hydraulic system rather than the brakes themselves.

Is transmission better off in 1st or neutral?

is the hydraulic system better off under pressure?
No the transmission is not better off in 1st or neutral. What are you referring to when asking about the hydraulic system? You are being too vague.
Old 08-24-20, 08:42 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vladi
One thing that annoys me at red light is the sea of super-bright brake lights that makes my eyes hurt.
I agree! Just how bright will regulations allow this to go? Regulators need to balance the visibility of brake lights with their blindingness (invented word) as I feel we have passed the threshold. In part, the problem is due to the conversion from tungsten to LED brake lights. Not only are LED's brighter, they appear more concentrated and feel much harder/harsher on the eyes.
Old 08-24-20, 08:43 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
No the transmission is not better off in 1st or neutral. What are you referring to when asking about the hydraulic system? You are being too vague.
When you press the pedal doesn’t the master cylinder go to work creating pressure to hold the brakes in place?
Old 08-24-20, 09:02 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

When you press the pedal doesn’t the master cylinder go to work creating pressure to hold the brakes in place?
The pressure on the brakes hydraulic system is not an issue. The brake system is designed for much higher pressures than the pressure required to keep the vehicle stopped at a light. If there is any concern with the brakes hydraulics at a stop, it would be from heat transfer from the pads/rotors to the brake fluid. Water in old brake fluid can boil and result in air in the system, causing a spongy feel and degraded stopping distances. Under normal driving, with good brake fluid, this isn't an issue either. As I wrote earlier, my concern is with rotor warpage and the degradation to the pads from concentrated heat. However, all the stars would have to align for even this to be an issue, i.e., long hard stop, high ambient temps, long red light.

BTW...I don't see you as "OCD." I see you as inquisitive, which is good thing in my book! I wish more people had an interest in technology and engineering.
Old 08-24-20, 09:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

I've thought about this same topic before. Especially in my DSG-equipped GTI where I have to press the pedal a little more than necessary to keep the car stopped. If I just barely press the brake, the car thinks I am about to take off and raises the RPMs slightly. So, I give it fairly firm brake pressure at a stop. I have wondered if I am excessively pressurizing the brake fluid by doing so. However, I think if you are just consistently pressing the pedal and not pumping it, it's not like you are forcing the fluid to expand, contract, expand... It's under pressure, yes, but constant pressure, and much less than you'd be giving it while you're actually slowing down. Basically, I echo what has been said above that the engineers have obviously considered this when designing the car. I recommend staying in D (drive) so that you can most quickly take off again when the signal turns green.
Old 08-24-20, 11:07 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I remember something going on with the brake lights in that vehicle, but I dont think its as them dimming after coming to a stop. I think it was part of Pre safe where if it sensed a rear collision, it would flash the brake lights. This feature didn't make it to the US because of regulation.
Yes, but that is something else and not what I'm talking about.

You can see based on the video they're at 100% brightness during the day, 80% brightness at night, and 60% when the vehicle is stopped (I'm pretty sure it only does this if there's already a car behind you and you're both stopped. I think I remember reading something about that and/or if you're stopped at a long light with no cars behind you, it will dim to 60% but as soon as the rear-facing radar detects a car coming they brighten back up... something like that). I don't know whether or not this feature made it to the US.

The feature you're referencing, the adaptive brake lights, are on many vehicles outside of the US, including most/all Lexuses. I know even the ancient 4GS elsewhere has the adaptive brake lights which flash under emergency braking. However, I don't know of other cars besides MB that use the rear-facing radar to flash the adaptive brake lights at a fast-approaching car, as you mentioned.
Old 08-24-20, 11:11 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Regarding the video/feature above, someone from the video's comment section explained it well:

This is very clever and makes sense. To those asking why and what the point of this technology is, let me explain. During the day, when the sun is shining, the brightness of daylight reduces the visibility of a car's lights. Thus, during the day, the lights will operate at it's highest level of brightness to make it visible even in direct sunlight. At night, the highest level of brightness is not needed as the visibility of the brake lights will not be affected by bright day time light. This further makes it safer for other road users driving behind as the light will not be so bright as to "blind" them with such bright brake lights. Lastly, when the car has come to a full stop at night, the level of brightness is further decreased to make it comfortable for road users behind and not allow unnecessary brightness to impede their vision. This improves safety by making sure others can always see you braking yet at the same time not impeding others' vision by having the lights too bright at night. Think about looking at a bright light and then looking away; for a few seconds your eyes still "see" the light, temporarily impeding your vision. The multi-level rear light prevents this (thus safety for other road users too).
Old 08-25-20, 04:31 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts
Cool

I almost always stay in drive with my foot on the brake. Alternatives would include:
Putting in neutral with foot on break.
Putting in neutral with parking/emergency break on.
Putting in park.

Is keeping your foot on the brake pedal putting stress on the system?

Thanks
Engage the trans brake......then set the two step.....ready set go.....
Old 08-27-20, 05:59 AM
oilburner1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It isn’t like that at all. I use extra rinse as needed, clearly the sitting at a light situation isn't about relative utility.

Why do guys think I’m OCD? I like thought experiments.
common sense and logic would say that a braking system that is designed to stop a 4000lb car from 150mph in an emergency situation is not going to be worn out by having to hold your car at a stop light. Nor would an automatic transmission be "stressed" by sitting at a stop. We aren't driving the very first cars invented after the horse and buggy.

I don't think some of you understand the type of abuse cars can actually take without breaking. I suggest a rent a cheap car and try and break it by doing all these things you're considering will wear or stress a car. Push both the brake pedal and the gas pedal down as hard as you can when stopped. Do it for 15 minutes until the dash gives you an overheat warning on the transmission. Sit there in P and hold your foot down to the floor and bounce it off the rev limiter until you get bored. Get all fear you have of "stressing the car" out of your system.
Old 08-27-20, 09:51 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

one of my favorite features on my LS is the brake hold. I can sit at a light for an hour and not have to touch the pedal once the hold sets.
Old 08-27-20, 12:23 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oilburner1
I don't think some of you understand the type of abuse cars can actually take without breaking.
No big, but you're fighting windmills and preaching to the converted. The OP simply passed along a thought. Angst, exasperation, and labeling OCD, a mental illness, isn't helpful.
Old 08-28-20, 06:16 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
The Mercedes S-Class does exactly this as a courtesy to vehicles stopped behind it, so that feature is out there, just incredibly rare. I think the 2014 W222 S-Class introduced this feature. I'm not sure if its spread to other models in their lineup but I would imagine it has by now.
I did not know my S did this. I'll have to check it out. Thinking it may not be as a courtesy to vehicles behind, but may be dimmed as part of the Eco/start/stop feature that turns the engine off when stopped with your foot on the brake.
Old 08-29-20, 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yep, love brake hold. The Pacifica doesnt have it and I really miss it when I'm driving that.

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
No big, but you're fighting windmills and preaching to the converted. The OP simply passed along a thought. Angst, exasperation, and labeling OCD, a mental illness, isn't helpful.
Agreed.