Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

sequential turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 05:44 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Great job! They look great!!!
Thank you!
Old 08-26-20, 09:46 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

i don't agree at all. When i see ANY unusual or flashing lights on a vehicle, i am alerted that the vehicle may move in an unexpected way (slow, fast, sideways, turning, etc). I then discern intent and action and respond accordingly. Whether it's flashing or sequential, red, orange, white, green, whatever, i don't care. If it's cool, i like it.
This proves my point, you like it because "it's cool" that is not what is important and has nothing to do with safety. The more dazzling the light show absolutely does not mean it is safer, there is a line between calling attention and creating a distraction.
Old 08-26-20, 10:04 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
This proves my point, you like it because "it's cool" that is not what is important and has nothing to do with safety. The more dazzling the light show absolutely does not mean it is safer, there is a line between calling attention and creating a distraction.
I think you missed his point.

When i see ANY unusual or flashing lights on a vehicle, i am alerted that the vehicle may move in an unexpected way (slow, fast, sideways, turning, etc). I then discern intent and action and respond accordingly. Whether it's flashing or sequential, red, orange, white, green, whatever, i don't care.
The look of the signal is slightly different, function and interpretation is the same. The difference IMO is the same as noticing that a turn signal is below the brake lamp instead of above it, or vice versa.

Last edited by sm1ke; 08-26-20 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 10:13 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
The look of the signal is slightly different, function and interpretation is the same.
Not it isn't, the way a light flashes and the colour is everything. See emergency vehicles as an example.
The difference IMO is the same as noticing that a turn signal is below the brake lamp instead of above it, or vice versa.
This doesn't make any sense. Your brain doesn't care where the light is emitting from, as long as you see it without having to put in extra effort.

BTW why did you only bold part of his sentence? It completely changed the meaning you went from
Whether it's flashing or sequential, red, orange, white, green, whatever, i don't care.
to
Whether it's flashing or sequential, red, orange, white, green, whatever, i don't care.
Old 08-26-20, 10:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the reason we dont have true sequential turn signals is there is an old DOT regulation that says the brake light has to be a certain square millimeters in area (because automotive lighting sucked back then). This regulation has not been update to reflect new technology like LEDs which are dramatically brighter. The mustang can get away with it is because one of its tri bar tailights is well above this square millimeter area so the other two bars are just extra credit. You'll notice on the new Audis the entire strip lights up first then dissipates instead of it building up. The brake light has to illuminate this square millimeter size on initial braking
Old 08-26-20, 12:50 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Not it isn't, the way a light flashes and the colour is everything. See emergency vehicles as an example.

This doesn't make any sense. Your brain doesn't care where the light is emitting from, as long as you see it without having to put in extra effort.
So you're saying that sequential turn signals require extra effort on your part to interpret, and that extra effort results in a distraction that is tied to the proliferation of collision avoidance systems, airbags, etc.? Sorry but I just don't share your opinion, and frankly I think you're reaching pretty far by equating it to real potential distractions like HVAC settings buried in infotainment menus.

BTW why did you only bold part of his sentence? It completely changed the meaning you went from
to
Explain how the meaning changes whether I include the colors or not. The colors are just added examples. I think the main point he was making was that regardless of the way a light blinks (or the color), its an indication that the vehicle may move in an unexpected way (slow, fast, sideways, turning, etc).
Old 08-26-20, 12:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

So you're saying that sequential turn signals require extra effort on your part to interpret, and that extra effort results in a distraction that is tied to the proliferation of collision avoidance systems, airbags, etc.? Sorry but I just don't share your opinion, and frankly I think you're reaching pretty far by equating it to real potential distractions like HVAC settings buried in infotainment menus.
Both can be true, infotainment being distracting and bling signals being same.
Explain how the meaning changes whether I include the colors or not.
Colour is everything in traffic signals and vehicle lighting. That's why you will never see red on the front of a car oncoming vehicles might mistake it for a red light. Same with green, which happens to be the best fog light colour but it would be confusing and dangerous. And then there is blue, how come that's never used on a passenger vehicle?
The colors are just added examples. I think the main point he was making was that regardless of the way a light blinks (or the color), its an indication that the vehicle may move in an unexpected way (slow, fast, sideways, turning, etc).
I get the point but I think it is wrong in several critical ways, including and especially the colour. I can't believe anyone would argue that the colour doesn't matter.
Old 08-28-20, 09:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

I can't believe anyone would argue that the colour doesn't matter.
of course unless you're colo[u]r blind.
Old 08-28-20, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

And then there is blue, how come that's never used on a passenger vehicle?
The short answer is that in some states, blue lights are associated with police cars, and that is done to help prevent confusion.....and/or impersonating a police officer.

Colour is everything in traffic signals and vehicle lighting. That's why you will never see red on the front of a car oncoming vehicles might mistake it for a red light.
To avoid confusion, I'm a firm believer in having flashing amber (yellow-orange)-colored turn signals on both front and rear. Many countries outside of the U.S. mandate it, but we have not yet seen fit to so so here, which is why red still predominates on many vehicles. Auto manufacturers may (?) have resisted a law like that (I don't know that for a fact, but I'm guessing) because they save a few pennies or dollars on each vehicle by not having both red and yellow-bulb circuits next to each other.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-28-20 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 10:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

of course unless you're color blind.

Believe it or not, some states will give you a Drivers' License if you are colorblind. That is based on the principle that traffic lights usually have red at the top, yellow in the middle, and green at the bottom, although Texas likes to mount the traffic-lights horizontally because they resist strong wind-gusts better in storms.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-28-20 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 11:00 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Believe it or not, you can get a Drivers' License in my state (Virginia) if you are colorblind.
What's the eyeroll emoji for? Are you saying that if you're colourblind, you aren't fit to drive?
Old 08-28-20, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What's the eyeroll emoji for? Are you saying that if you're colourblind, you aren't fit to drive?
That's not my decision to make. But, in today's vehicles, one sometimes needs to be able to tell more than a simple red/yellow/green traffic light. Much of the information inherent in video-screens, for example, is also color-coded. Although shape-codes help somewhat, warning lights on the dash are also usually color-coded.

Whether all of that makes one "unfit" to drive or not depends on a number of factors, which may be different for each vehicle.
Old 08-28-20, 03:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Believe it or not, some states will give you a Drivers' License if you are colorblind. That is based on the principle that traffic lights usually have red at the top, yellow in the middle, and green at the bottom, although Texas likes to mount the traffic-lights horizontally because they resist strong wind-gusts better in storms.

I'm green/red color blind, and I've never been asked/tested about color blindness at the DMV. And I can clearly see the difference between red and green traffic lights, regardless of whether they are horizontal or vertical. I can't imagine any state denying a DL because a person is color blind.
Old 08-28-20, 05:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
They mostly look good, but some are not executed too well. The Avalon's rear lights blink in a direction that doesn't really point in the direction of the turn. And Audi ruins their taillights by adding in a non-sequential light at the same time the sequential one flashes. This defeats the purpose, adds too much light "mass," and takes away the sequential effect.
The reason for this is DOT regulations in the US. Audi adds that non sequential light only in the US to appease those regs.
Old 08-28-20, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm green/red color blind, and I've never been asked/tested about color blindness at the DMV.
I'm not doubting your word, but, when you get your license issued or renewed, they don't ask you to look into the scope with the lighted color-dots in Pennsylvania and call out the number-figure? They do in Virginia.

Quick Reply: sequential turn signals