Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

sequential turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-20, 03:20 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not doubting your word, but, when you get your license issued or renewed, they don't ask you to look into the scope with the lighted color-dots in Pennsylvania and call out the number-figure? They do in Virginia.
I haven’t been asked to do that since my 10th grade biology class—where I first learned I was color blind. I’ve had driver licenses in 4 different states and never took that test.

VA DMV website only mentions 20/40 vision, and 110* field of vision—doesn’t say color identification

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers...cal/vision.asp

You say VA has this test, but do you know anyone denied a license because of it?

Last edited by tex2670; 08-30-20 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-30-20, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You say VA has this test, but do you know anyone denied a license because of it?

I don't know that many people who are color-blind....or, at least, have told me they are.

You may (?) be correct on the latest color-standards. I checked the latest VA DMV vision-standards, and it does not specifically mention color-vision standards any more. But that's the way they did it for decades....I've had a Virginia Driver's license for some 50 years. You looked into a lighted scope, with color-dot-patterns, and told them what number-pattern you saw on the dots.
Old 08-30-20, 04:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Being colorblind is not cause for denial of a drivers license anywhere in the US.
Old 08-30-20, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Being colorblind is not cause for denial of a drivers license anywhere in the US.

That's interesting, because, at night, one should be able to tell the flashing red and blue (or, in some places, all-blue) flashing lights if you a being stopped by police, particularly with all of the publicity given lately as to how police stop people, why, and how they are treated when they are stopped. Also with the publicity given to the fact that criminals sometimes try and impersonate or imitate police-cars with red and blue lights.
Old 08-30-20, 04:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Do you know anybody who is colorblind? They compensate. They can see blinking lights and see where the light is on the traffic lamp. They also see shades. They see flashing lights on a police car and know they need to pull over. Most people who are colorblind have been colorblind their whole lives, and don't know any different.
Old 08-30-20, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

wow, mmarshall, can't believe you're so down on people who are colorblind. colorblindness is apparently a mostly male affliction but affects 5-10% of the entire population, so if you think they shouldn't get licenses, well, i'll just say i'm glad you're not in charge.
Old 08-30-20, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, mmarshall, can't believe you're so down on people who are colorblind. colorblindness is apparently a mostly male affliction but affects 5-10% of the entire population, so if you think they shouldn't get licenses, well, i'll just say i'm glad you're not in charge.
Six things. First, I'm not down on them..........I just wasn't sure about the latest laws were. Second, you're a moderator......if you think my comments were inappropriate, you can delete them. Third, I have no desire to be in charge of license-issuing....I have enough things to take care of. Fourth, I've got enough awards and Letters of Commendation sitting around my house from my working days, when I WAS in charge of some things. Fifth, I'm out of this thread.....I've had enough of it. Sixth....well, I won't go into that now....you'll see for yourself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-30-20 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 04:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's interesting, because, at night, one should be able to tell the flashing red and blue (or, in some places, all-blue) flashing lights if you a being stopped by police, particularly with all of the publicity given lately as to how police stop people, why, and how they are treated when they are stopped. Also with the publicity given to the fact that criminals sometimes try and impersonate or imitate police-cars with red and blue lights.
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Your theory is that someone would try to impersonate the police with flashing lights that aren't red/blue hoping to find a person who is severely colorblind and can't tell the difference?
Old 08-31-20, 06:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I drive around in my car with green flashing lights. And eventually...I’ll have a hit!

The least efficient axe murderer ever lol
Old 08-31-20, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Your theory is that someone would try to impersonate the police with flashing lights that aren't red/blue hoping to find a person who is severely colorblind and can't tell the difference?

No, it's not necessarily a matter of colorblindness. Criminals who impersonate police officers (and they are out there.....their presence is not a theory, but a fact) are only interested in you pulling over. Once the wolf has the sheep in its grip, little else matters.
Old 08-31-20, 06:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I drive around in my car with green flashing lights. And eventually...I’ll have a hit!

The least efficient axe murderer ever lol
Good luck with the new career.
Old 08-31-20, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

"Hey, look at my green lights.....come and buy a house with me LOL".
Old 08-31-20, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Six things.

First, I'm not down on them..........I just wasn't sure about the latest laws were.
you wrote above that:
Believe it or not, some states will give you a Drivers' License if you are colorblind.
implying you were not in favor of this. and that's why i'm glad you're not in charge of it.

Fifth, I'm out of this thread.....I've had enough of it.
ok

Sixth....well, I won't go into that now....you'll see for yourself.

I don't know that many people who are color-blind....or, at least, have told me they are.
yes but do you know any?

yes because colorblind people need to drive and can easily cope with the color issue.

no idea what you're saying. you see flashing lights of any color, go cautiously. it's not that complicated. police flashing lights are usually very rapid as well, with multiple bars and lights, impossible to confuse with a non-police car.

plus you seem to be unaware that most colorblindness is red/green differentiation, not red/blue.
Old 08-31-20, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Fifth, I'm out of this thread.....I've had enough of it.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok
Well, OK...almost out the thread LOL. There are a couple of replies I wanted to address.

And I do think we've all let this discussion get a little too heated....with some misunderstandings.

Old 08-31-20, 07:10 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

All this to say, while colour is a factor, it is not a determining factor. Turn signals (when in proper working condition) have a pretty specific on/off cadence, regardless of whether they are the standard on/off, sequential, or fade-to-off. The difference between the three is incredibly minor (IMO) - you can still tell that any of those lights are turn signals (regardless of colour) because you can recognize the cadence. If I were colourblind, I would use this same metric (the cadence) to discern emergency response vehicles from maintenance vehicles or tow trucks, for example.

Quick Reply: sequential turn signals