Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tell Us Your Apex of Performance, Win Yokohama's ADVAN Apex Tires!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 09:49 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I’m teaching a 4

year old the fundamentals, in a control environment of course. Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015’s for our LX570.
Old 08-30-20, 10:58 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

My 1st automotive job was at NTW in 1986 where I had to train for 2 weeks before I could wait on a customer. A few of the sales guys autocrossed & most of them ran Yokohama A008's.
I had recently bought a 1986 Honda Prelude Si for my wife & I wanted to go +1 with the wheels & 14" AOO8's. Once I found some one to buy the stock wheels & tires I installed new 14" wheels with bigger AOO8's & it transformed the car into a sport car. When the A008's were discontinued I change to michelin because that's what came on my Boxster S & I loved the way it drove.
Bought a 2015 GS350 F-Sport in 2015 for my wife & I was surprised at how well it handles with it's 19" wheels & Michelin P4's tires. I would love to see how it drives with Yokohama tires.

My car is a 2000 Boxster "S" I bought for the handling also. This is my favorite picture of it & how it makes the driver feel.

Old 08-31-20, 10:36 AM
IB Jason
IB Staff

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Not to nitpick, but you might want to take a look at this also:

Well that's a weird one I can't even explain. Fixed now, thanks!
Old 08-31-20, 09:37 PM
SCrack3rs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Running in the 90s

Hello everyone, proud owner of a 1996 SC300. I purchased it from another Club Lexus member (BiGEZ) a few years back and have enjoyed every drive since owning it. My best experience driving this year is taking the SC out on shakedown runs in the back roads of my small town. I love doing these runs mainly since I get to enjoy the scenery, have some alone time, and get a better understanding the platform.

I had a blast driving the car through the few long sweeping sections and straights especially with the low petrol prices in early summer, it helped me gauge and evaluate the directions with my mods. I am currently running some Achilles ATR Sports which have treated me well, but I would not know how they stack up against top performers such as the Yokohama’s or Michelin’s.

My goal with my SC300 is to mold into an extension of myself and push its limitations through my hard work and ingenuity. I am hoping for the best during these hard time and hope that next year will be better as I would like to take my SC300 both to tail of the dragon and Roebling Road Raceway with any luck. I wish the best of luck to everyone and for another great year of Lexus ownership.

Brace yourselves winter will soon be upon us! lol
Old 09-01-20, 07:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

^^^ 85 mr2 ftw!
Old 09-01-20, 01:30 PM
IonSpray35
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the pandemic hit, I was furloughed, so I drove from Austin to Texarkana to check on my mom. I stopped in DFW to visit my sister. On the way back though, I made a straight shot home. My car is a 2006 with over 225K miles, and I can't but think about how great it still drives. The engine is still strong, and the transmission is still smooth. The ride isn't as smooth, but the shocks and springs are old as the car. With a little bit of TLC, I feel like I can get another 250K miles out of it.
Old 09-01-20, 09:45 PM
SCrack3rs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ 85 mr2 ftw!
Yeah, It's my uncle's MR2. I been helping him rebuild it over the summer since he has a bad back. We did all new poly bushing to the whole suspension as well as some coilovers. Their still body work and paint that he wants to do. He also wants to either swap or rebuild the engine. Maybe one day I'll have the funds to hopefully do the same to my SC. So far I've done coilovers on my SC which I had from my previous failed SC project and I managed to save and gather what I needed to go with TRD swaybars on the SC.
Old 09-02-20, 04:28 PM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Default New to me RC

My 2015 RC350 Fsport AWD is new to me. I've only owned since January and it only has 46K
on the clock. It's the third Lexus I've owned and so far it keeps me grinning on the drives.
It's my daily driver as of now so I get to enjoy it everyday. Not really an adventure in it yet
but this fall looking more promising for a trip. So far, I love this car. These pics from when I got
it. It looks a bit different now, added some nano-ceramic window tint since then. I will be needing tires
soon though. Hint Hint

Last edited by CharlieRC; 09-02-20 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 07:39 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is one of the pictures I took for a contest. This one is my favorite. I put 10,000 km on the car despite the lockdown, since I bought it in March.

My favorite drive was a 300 km round trip to and from Ontario. It was the first long highway drive I had with it. It allowed me to enjoy the sound system, the quietness and the comfort, all of which are excellent and make it one of the best cars to do highway in for what they currently go for. We also plan to go to a friend's grandparents who are 5 hours away, in beautiful Gaspésie. It will be even cooler. That said, even if it feels more tuned for comfort than the German rivals, it remains nimble and fun enough to drive on country roads.

I could use new tires because the ones coming with the rims are low-end tires manufactured in 2013...

Here's a second one because why not:

Old 09-03-20, 09:21 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

I, too, am a proud Lexus owner. I've grown up with a deep-rooted passion for cars and motorsports of all kinds. I started with dirtbikes and Hondas - did motor swaps, installed superchargers, and hit the drag strip with each chance I got. As I got older I started to dabble in other things (rear-wheel-drive things, primarily), I finally acquired a mint 1996 SC400 which I loved dearly. In the pursuit of something sportier, I bought a used 1995 E36 M3 (which was kind of a beater albeit lol) and although it was a fantastic car, it left me yearning for all of the things the SC had that the E36 just couldn't provide. Years later, I had sold the M3, built a 2jzge swapped '85 Cressida, sold it, and picked up a factory 5-speed SC300 (pictured below) from a young kid (I'm only 30 myself) who had beat the car up, cracked the oil pan, neglected maintenance, and had no clue where to go from there. I bought the car for $3,000 and never looked back. Since then I've touched nearly every nut and bolt on the car. The suspension bushings, coilovers, brakes, etc had all been gone through. The car also got a 2-way limited-slip, better clutch, and just this winter received a 2jzgte vvti swap that a friend managed to find me for a screaming deal.

What's the point of it all? I've built, sold, rebuilt, resold, and then built cars again over the last 16 years of my life and I can't imagine what else could make me so eager to get out of bed and go to work in the morning. These days it's not just about cruising around town, these days we make regular cruises/canyon runs, and I primarily work on the SC with aspirations of hitting our local road course several times a year (High Plains Raceway in Byers, CO). The fact is, the first time I drove that road course it changed my view of cars and what I truly enjoyed about them. No longer does drag racing get my blood pumping. Compared to braking late, hitting corners, and navigating around other cars on the track? What else can compare to that when it comes to pure motorsports adrenaline? Don't get me wrong - I still drive the fun car regularly to work and out in the field for when I perform fieldwork. It also gets its fair share of hooning when the time and place allow it...

Do I deserve a set of free tires? I don't know man. I don't have a nice set of Yokohama's on this car because honestly I'm just too cheap. I love hitting the track, and I love doing donuts, so truth be told I can barely keep back tires on this car as it is. However, I do know that a nice of Yokohama's would see at least two track days, a few canyon runs, several donuts/burnouts, and one HUGE SMILE on this young man's face.

Does someone deserve a set of tires more than I do? Without a doubt, yes. Will someone ENJOY these tires more than I will? I highly doubt that.

Happy cruising - whatever it's in!

Oh, and my old Cressida (another old Cressida lol) is getting a 1UZ auto swap for my GF, dog, and I to cruise around town in.
Old 09-04-20, 08:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Jason

If there's one thing 2020 can't stop, it's hitting the road. Or the track. Or both! We're teaming up with our friends at Yokohama for your chance to win a free set of their Y-rated ultra-high performance tire, ADVAN Apex™ V601.

To enter, we want to hear about your Apex of performance this summer. Whether you're currently rocking Yokohamas or not, share a photo of your car - all Lexus models are welcome - and tell us about your best track experience, road trip, or drive during these socially distanced times. But act fast, we're only accepting entries until September 8!

You can learn more about Yokohama's new ADVAN Apex™ tires on the official website. Full contest rules can be found in the PDF attached below. Good luck and we can't to hear about your summer adventures!
Please open up the contest to your friendly northern neighbours! Canada!
Old 09-04-20, 07:54 PM
Zhethe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 hour road trip

My favorite drive in my RX is quite recently. I had to drive 7 hours to school. I was a bit nervous, because I haven't driven so far in months due to quarantine. I was also a bit excited, because i wanted to see how well my mods would hold up, and driving for 7 hours straight at high speeds (between 70 and 100 mph, which is high for me) would give me the perfect opportunity to really experience my car. And oh man, it did not disappoint. 7 hours of driving, 7 hours of hearing my engine rev, 7 hours of going around corners on the freeway like how I've seen cars going around corners on the track. All in a car just months ago, I couldn't even see myself transforming into what it is today. needless to say, that 7 hour drive is probably my favorite drive in my car. The most memorable one however, is today when my friend was visiting, and decided to do donuts and drift my car, which, whoa, my car can do that now, but also, whoa, my car can do that? Still a bit shaken up by how my friend drove my car lol. But anyways, that 7 hour drive, best experience so far, but I'm hoping to have much better experiences in the future, with my RX fully built to my vision.

Last edited by Zhethe; 09-04-20 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Adding more pics and a title
Old 09-06-20, 10:52 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts
Default A Night I will Never Forget...

STAY HOME! WEAR A FACEMASK! SOCIALLY DISTANCE! RIOTS! FIRES! FLOODS! VOTE RED! VOTE BLUE! STRESS! STRESS! STRESS!

The pressures of a Covid Summer seem as if they are hounding us in a never-ending cycle. Whether it comes from the news, the work place, or the internet, it all seems to weigh on my head.

This is why I will always think fondly of that night I decided to shed it all and take a midnight drive in my SC430. With the top down and a gentle breeze, I just got in and drove. After what seemed like moments, I was cruising through Paradise Valley, the silver beams of moonlight and the twinkle of the stars lightening my load. As we cruised along the black, yellow striped, river that snaked through the hills, my beloved hugged the corners and caressed me in her supple soft leather. Slowly the weight started to lift and I could hear the gentle purr of her 288 horses. It was not the rumble that enchanted me; but the synchronicity of a finely tuned machine, reveling in the purpose she was bred to do. As the night grew darker and the weight of the world grew lighter, I luxuriated in her heated seats. Soon I found myself atop a hill overlooking the city, the urban lights glittering far below. The engine idled. In the calm of that moment I realized that the world is big, and in comparison, the problems are small.

Though the issues need to be dealt with, they are nothing compared to the vast timelessness of the universe, the world and the One who created it all. We will prevail!

Old 09-07-20, 11:15 PM
CA53W
Driver School Candidate

Default Apex of Performance

Since high school, I have mostly taken highway cruises at night as a therapeutic method to end my days. A few months ago I was able to take my car to the track for the first time and immediately learned how easily tires can wear. So I decided that if i was going to track my car often, then I would need a second set of wheels and tires. I chose Gram Lights 57DRs because those were a favorite of mine since I saw them on Gran Turismo when I was in elementary school. Initially I was wanting to get them with Apex V601s but I decided to save a little bit of money and chose Falken Azenis FK510 instead. I don't know much about driving at a track but it's a new hobby, I also don't have a lot of dreams in life, but one of them is to participate in time attack regularly, build a competitive car and become a decent driver.

I am trying to get all my friends to go along with me to the next track weekend on the 12th and 13th but they're all scared of damaging their cars.. but one of them is a photographer so at least I'll have some nice photos to show off of me driving.

Old 09-08-20, 01:37 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
This year the trips have been few and far between. My best drive was a Las Vegas road trip from my house in New Mexico. Drove on two lane blacktop as much as possible. My trip took me through the following - White Sands, NM, Copper mine pit in Silver City, NM, Devils Highway 191 (formerly 666) from Morenci, AZ to Alpine, AZ, Highway 60/260 on to Sedona, AZ, a piece of pie at the Pine Country Restaurant in Williams, AZ, Kingman, AZ then on to Lost Wages. The picture was taken west of Vegas at the Red Rock Canyon National Park. Return trip was not as scenic as time was short. Interstates all the way home.

My 2018 LC "Akane" treated me great the entire trip. Probably more pictures taken of her by envious onlookers than I took myself.

what a beautiful car you have, gibbons.

Quick Reply: Tell Us Your Apex of Performance, Win Yokohama's ADVAN Apex Tires!