Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tell Us Your Apex of Performance, Win Yokohama's ADVAN Apex Tires!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 11:40 AM
IB Jason
IB Staff

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tell Us Your Apex of Performance, Win Yokohama's ADVAN Apex Tires!

If there's one thing 2020 can't stop, it's hitting the road. Or the track. Or both! We're teaming up with our friends at Yokohama for your chance to win a free set of their Y-rated ultra-high performance tire, ADVAN Apex™ V601.

To enter, we want to hear about your Apex of performance this summer. Whether you're currently rocking Yokohamas or not, share a photo of your car - all Lexus models are welcome - and tell us about your best track experience, road trip, or drive during these socially distanced times. But act fast, we're only accepting entries until September 8!

You can learn more about Yokohama's new ADVAN Apex™ tires on the official website. Full contest rules can be found in the PDF attached below. Good luck and we can't to hear about your summer adventures!
Attached Files
Old 08-25-20, 01:37 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

The mountains and canyons is where I have found one of my happy places to be, especially now during this pandemic when much of everything has been closed and social distancing is stressed. Thankfully, the joy of driving with friends is one of those special activities that we can all do together and have fun from the safety of our individual cars. I've had the opportunity to enjoy the excellent handling characteristics of these Yokohama Advan V601 tires for the past few months, and have found them to be reliable and confidence inspiring up in the mountains. The tires are stiff, grippy, and provide the much needed feedback I desire from a street tire. Although I have yet to take these out on a track (hopefully this Fall), I look forward to the day I can really push these to their limits. Until then, each trip back up to the mountain passes remains a memorable one, and these Yokohamas only enhance the already awesome experience.

Old 08-26-20, 04:03 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 466 Likes on 250 Posts

This year the trips have been few and far between. My best drive was a Las Vegas road trip from my house in New Mexico. Drove on two lane blacktop as much as possible. My trip took me through the following - White Sands, NM, Copper mine pit in Silver City, NM, Devils Highway 191 (formerly 666) from Morenci, AZ to Alpine, AZ, Highway 60/260 on to Sedona, AZ, a piece of pie at the Pine Country Restaurant in Williams, AZ, Kingman, AZ then on to Lost Wages. The picture was taken west of Vegas at the Red Rock Canyon National Park. Return trip was not as scenic as time was short. Interstates all the way home.

My 2018 LC "Akane" treated me great the entire trip. Probably more pictures taken of her by envious onlookers than I took myself.

Old 08-26-20, 04:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The "no parking" is kinda funny
Old 08-26-20, 04:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

The LC doesn't park it preens.
Old 08-27-20, 07:59 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

"the Sweepstakes entry period begins on August 24, 2020 when the Sweepstakes thread is posted on Website and ends at 11:59 p.m. PDT on September 7, 2018"?
Old 08-27-20, 08:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
"the Sweepstakes entry period begins on August 24, 2020 when the Sweepstakes thread is posted on Website and ends at 11:59 p.m. PDT on September 7, 2018"?
Time to get some Yokohama's on the DeLorean and go back in time
Old 08-27-20, 09:54 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Best drive of the summer? Most definitely my Tail of the Dragon trip this spring.

My GS430 towed mine and a friend's motorcycles 500 miles one way, barely broke a sweat, and managed 19mpg. While there, the CBR was fun, but the GS impressed me to no end - thanks to some handling/brake modifications I'd completed in recent months. This was my first real drive since purchasing the car, and I experienced zero brake fade during back-to-back 'aggressive' runs of the Dragon. It even kept up with/passed several a few cars that wouldn't normally give it a second look - while on cheap 300TW tires that it managed to get niiice and melty. Owners of a Miata and an E92 M3 came up to me after we'd finished a run (during which they'd pulled off to let me go by, as is courteous on the Dragon) and asked "How the hell is a big body car moving like that?"

The trip as a whole made me trust and fall in love with this car even more, and is certainly one I'll remember for years to come.

Old 08-27-20, 10:48 AM
IB Jason
IB Staff

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for catching that typo, guys. We've updated the rules to reflect that we do, in fact, live in the year 2020.
Old 08-27-20, 11:10 AM
cgolf4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kayaking Anniversary Trip to the Chesapeake Bay

We LOVE this 2011 Lexus RX350. Got it in December and this was the first real road trip we took back in July. It rides like a dream...kayaks on top add a bit of road noise so we opted for a windows down and music up type of drive. Which was absolutely perfect for the 55mph scenic roads going down to the Bay. Surprisingly this RX got upwards of 26 mpg during a lot of the trip where we were just cruising. Saw a lot of wildlife and found that stunning turquoise blue sea glass marble out on an island!

Old 08-27-20, 12:30 PM
ahnajjar
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took the car to the drag strip for the first time and showed the people there what this little lexus can do. Ended up running a 12.4 @113 2900 DA.

Old 08-28-20, 12:36 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 486 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Jason
Thanks for catching that typo, guys. We've updated the rules to reflect that we do, in fact, live in the year 2020.
Not to nitpick, but you might want to take a look at this also:

Old 08-28-20, 08:40 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Recently acquired my ISF this summer. I unfortunately woke up a lot earlier than usual but was "too late" to go back to sleep. Must have been a sign to get a little more intimate with the new acquisition.

Apex of summer (other than acquisition) so far is went for spirited street excursion with more than normal use of clover leaf, ramps, gas pedal usage, etc. Ran into a seemingly stock E92 m3 doing possibly the same thing coming off a ramp. They were a good sport(s) so I took them to Gapple Bees (Ultimate social distance venue) and then went on my way to work. Loving this car. On Hankook with stock tire size 225F 255R but maybe getting new wheels after test fitting for caliper clearance.

This is it at work place.

Last edited by LSpho; 09-08-20 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-29-20, 12:23 AM
chrisdabos
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I got my first Lexus this summer, you expect to show off your car at the mall or public places where the person parked next to you is within its space but sadly I haven't done that due to the pandemic, if it wasn't for COVID I'd be putting more miles way quicker than it took the previous owner in a year, so my apex of the Lexus experience hasn't really started yet, for I drive to work and back home, sometimes putting it in sport mode and other times turning on Sirius XM classical station and go the speed limit. Right now with what's going on this isn't the most ideal way to spend a summer, but seeing the little things in the everyday tasks we do, you get to appreciate that a little more, making sure every drive counts, thinking of it less as a chore. I did however drive some 100 miles out of the city to my favorite kolache place that's on the side of a hwy in TX and if I get to do that more often, I don't see myself in a different car anytime soon.

Old 08-29-20, 09:42 PM
Victor98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canyons and 350s

Took my IS350 to Niagara Falls with my Lexus crew and drove out to the canyons and mountains to do a final summer cruise, covid might stop our economy but not our passion for our cars!

Quick Reply: Tell Us Your Apex of Performance, Win Yokohama's ADVAN Apex Tires!