Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche unveils updated 2021 Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 09:56 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
911 still dominates the brand and is by far the best selling sports car in its segment ($100k +)
The only reason that the Macan, Cayenne etc sell for such a premium vs BMW, MB is they resemble the 911 and ppl want that Porsche allure.

The Panamera refresh is great especially the extra power for the Turbo. SportTurismo is the perfect family car. 👍
Not sure what is meant by "dominates" but Cayenne/Macan sales make up the vast majority of Porsche sales in the USA and it's not even close (over 2/3 of Porsche sales last year were the Cayenne/Macan, the 911 wasn't even 15%). So it's no surprise when people observationally report that they see way more Cayenne/Macan models on the road than 911s - they should.

No question the 911 remains the default luxury sportscar in America and across the world, but the reality is that Porsche is an SUV/CUV maker. I won't blame megacorps for chasing profits and shareholder value, but it's disappointing how far they've come (fallen?) from their roots and that also doesn't inspire affection for the brand (or, perhaps more importantly, for me to hand over money I don't need to).
Old 08-27-20, 10:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Maybe it dominates the brand's image, but the Macan and Cayenne are the ones I actually see on the road. I actually just saw a Panamera Sport Turismo for the very first time in the flesh a couple days ago. It's been out for a couple years now.

I've made no secret, however, that I think the Macan deserves the sales. It's excellent! If all CUVs drove like that, no one would protest their dominance.
Its very region specific. In So-cal, 911s and 718s are daily drivers and I see them everywhere and they seem to outnumber the Macan even. I'd imagine, you would hardly see a 911 in any inclement weather. Of course, I see Ferrari's almost daily so 911s hardly get noticed.
Old 08-27-20, 11:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

macan/cayenne makes money for the brand as a whole. On a per car basis the 911 is the profit margin maker
Old 08-27-20, 03:45 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Not sure what is meant by "dominates" but Cayenne/Macan sales make up the vast majority of Porsche sales in the USA and it's not even close (over 2/3 of Porsche sales last year were the Cayenne/Macan, the 911 wasn't even 15%). So it's no surprise when people observationally report that they see way more Cayenne/Macan models on the road than 911s - they should.

No question the 911 remains the default luxury sportscar in America and across the world, but the reality is that Porsche is an SUV/CUV maker. I won't blame megacorps for chasing profits and shareholder value, but it's disappointing how far they've come (fallen?) from their roots and that also doesn't inspire affection for the brand (or, perhaps more importantly, for me to hand over money I don't need to).
911 dominates the focus of the brand in terms of engineering, design and marketing.
Just look at the amount of models there are and development into each one.

Ofcourse Macan and Cayenne sell more units but if you walk in to Porsche dealership - they are not parked front and center etc.

In Northeast - 911s are very popular, whether its NYC or Greenwich. You will see a bunch and all types of variants especially the convertibles.
Old 08-27-20, 05:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

When I think of "Porsche" I gotta be honest, I don't think of the 911 anymore, I think of the Cayenne or the Macan.
Old 08-27-20, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When I think of "Porsche" I gotta be honest, I don't think of the 911 anymore, I think of the Cayenne or the Macan.

The the Cayenne first came out, it seemed like this was happening. Now, sports-car companies doing crossover SUVs has become pretty much routine.

Old 08-27-20, 06:24 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a Cayenne owner, Porsche (to me) will always be about two cars: the 356 and the 911. All the others are just nice complimentary pieces...
Old 08-27-20, 07:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Isn't it interesting that when the Panamera and the Cayenne came out, we were shocked Porsche would make such vehicles and now, when you think of Porsche, this is what you think of and the 911 and and 718 are ancillary...
I wasn't shocked and i don't think of 911 as ancilliary. The 718 is a cayman, right? To me porsche is the 911 company first.

I see WAY WAY more Cayennes and Macans than I see any other Porsche on the road.
Not here at least, i see as many of each probably and probably more 911s than anything else. Perhaps that's because we have so many retirees here who don't care about practicality.

...it's disappointing how far they've come (fallen?) from their roots and that also doesn't inspire affection for the brand (or, perhaps more importantly, for me to hand over money I don't need to).
you have an LFA and yet Lexus makes its money from ES and UX/NX/RX/GX models. To me it doesn't detract from how spectacular the LFA is.

As i said, i think 911 first.

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
As a Cayenne owner, Porsche (to me) will always be about two cars: the 356 and the 911. All the others are just nice complimentary pieces...
356, isn't that like forever ago? But yeah on 911.

Old 08-27-20, 10:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
356, isn't that like forever ago? But yeah on 911.
The 356 probably would never have achieved the notoriety it did had the famous actor James Dean not bought one, raced it, and was killed when some airhead in a Ford sedan pulled out right in front of him......in an age before seat belts or even rudimentary safety equipment.
Old 08-27-20, 11:31 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Ofcourse Macan and Cayenne sell more units but if you walk in to Porsche dealership - they are not parked front and center etc.
My dealership had a Panamera E-Hybrid front and center last time I went in for service. *shrug*

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you have an LFA and yet Lexus makes its money from ES and UX/NX/RX/GX models. To me it doesn't detract from how spectacular the LFA is.
You misread and/or misinterpreted my comment. As I stated, my criticism is of Porsche/VAG, not of the 911 specifically. I've been at least as critical of TMC over the last several years for their uninspired lineup, which is also attributable to archetypal megacorp baloney.

That said, there's plenty to be critical of the current 911 for, but that wasn't the point of my post.
Old 08-28-20, 07:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

My dealership had a Panamera E-Hybrid front and center last time I went in for service. *shrug*

You misread and/or misinterpreted my comment. As I stated, my criticism is of Porsche/VAG, not of the 911 specifically. I've been at least as critical of TMC over the last several years for their uninspired lineup, which is also attributable to archetypal megacorp baloney.

That said, there's plenty to be critical of the current 911 for, but that wasn't the point of my post.
What can you possibly criticize Porsche on?

They are the only automaker still producing NEW NA engines and manuals for enthusiasts.
They are leaders in EV after Tesla.
They offer hybrid options on their SUV/sedan models.
The interior quality and tech on all their cars is light years ahead of what it was a decade ago.

Each model they offer is by far dynamically superior than their direct competition in the respective class.

They stand true to racing heritage and are involved in all major motorsport events.
They provide incredible customization options to clients, European Delivery, US Performance delivery, track events, racing school etc.

I can go on and on.

So they had a Panamera - how many 911s did they have inside. GT cars and classic 911s.
Every Porsche dealer i ever been to always had a rare 911 on display including several Turbo and/or GT cars.

No brand is perfect and no car either including 911. To me, they are atleast trying to preserve their performance ethos even with all the new regulations that they have to comply with.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-28-20 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 07:58 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

When I think of Porsche I think of the 911. It’s basic shape has stayed the same for decades and is iconic whether you like it or not. Their performance is excellent and it’s a great total package for a sports car that can be daily driven. I would love to own one some day but I’m not ready to spend the $$ for the models that I like just yet.
Old 08-28-20, 08:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We're enthusiasts though. The question is when a member of the general public thinks of Porsche today, what do they think of?
Old 08-28-20, 08:23 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

We're enthusiasts though. The question is when a member of the general public thinks of Porsche today, what do they think of?
911. The general populace thinks 911 because a lot of the general population says "Porsche makes an SUV?"
Old 08-28-20, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think thats the case anymore. Porsche SUVs are everywhere, 911s are rare, at least all the places I go. One of my agents has a 911 on order. They didnt even have a 911 at the dealer here for her to drive.

Quick Reply: Porsche unveils updated 2021 Panamera