Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche unveils updated 2021 Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-20, 09:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There is absolutely more demand for Macans and Cayennes and Panamera than 911s. You posted the sales numbers, they show that. Those consumers are more likely to walk into a dealership and buy one off the lot than a 911 consumer, it makes sense why there is more stock than there is of 911s. My question was solely, do laypeople really think of the 911 when they think of Porsche now or do they think of their SUVs?
since most people know almost nothing about porsche and have likely never been in one let alone driven one, i still believe the majority think of 911 when they think porsche. People SHOPPING for a porsche certainly know the Macan and Cayenne which as you state, sell in bigger numbers.

As for Ford, even I don't think of the Mustang when I think of Ford. It wouldn't be one of the top 3 models that pop into my head.
That's because you're a car nut.
Old 08-30-20, 09:47 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

You haven't presented me with any "facts" that tell me I'm "wrong". Short of presenting me with a study where people were polled what car people think of when they think of a certain brand there's no way to "prove me wrong". I think you're looking at this as an enthusiast with vast car knowledge and aren't thinking about it as a regular consumer who is not a car enthusiast. Bear in mind, a lot of these people aren't going to notice the difference between a 911 and a 718.

There is absolutely more demand for Macans and Cayennes and Panamera than 911s. You posted the sales numbers, they show that. Those consumers are more likely to walk into a dealership and buy one off the lot than a 911 consumer, it makes sense why there is more stock than there is of 911s. My question was solely, do laypeople really think of the 911 when they think of Porsche now or do they think of their SUVs?

As for Ford, even I don't think of the Mustang when I think of Ford. It wouldn't be one of the top 3 models that pop into my head. I would think Explorer, F150, even Taurus before I think Mustang. Its a product of my generation and what Ford personifies to me.

Not sure why this makes you so angry.
I think if you tel people that "I drive a Porsche" majority will think you drive a 911
Old 08-30-20, 09:51 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
since most people know almost nothing about porsche and have likely never been in one let alone driven one, i still believe the majority think of 911 when they think porsche. People SHOPPING for a porsche certainly know the Macan and Cayenne which as you state, sell in bigger numbers.
I would agree with this. The 911 has been around for so long it still, to me, defines Porsche but maybe that’s just the generation I am in. I was just curious so I asked my wife who really isn’t a car person what vehicle she thought of when she thinks of Porsche and she said 911. I wonder in general if there was a poll what most would say. Maybe younger people that weren’t around when all Porsche made were sports cars would think a Cayenne but I still don’t think so.
Old 08-30-20, 10:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

It defines Porsche to me too, I just don’t know if it does to everybody on the street anymore.
Old 08-30-20, 10:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So, I asked my wife. 38, not a car person at all. No discussion about this at all.

“When I say Ford what vehicle do you think of?” Her response was “Truck” (F150)

”When I say Porsche what vehicle do you think of” her response was “Cayenne” (I was impressed she knew the name of the model)

THATS my point. When I asked her about the Mustang or the 911 she said she never would have thought of either of them.
Old 08-30-20, 10:58 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Not having the Mustang in your top 3 iconic Ford models is weird. Mustang, F-150 and Bronco for me.

As far as the Panamera goes, I've always had mixed feelings. The design is just awkward. I remember Jeremy Clarkson compared it to some weird English station wagon thing.
Old 08-30-20, 11:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure how old you are, but so much of it is generation. The Mustang was never an iconic vehicle for Ford during my lifetime. I grew up with the fox body mustangs that were crummy and then the Mustangs of the 90s which were better but never the phenomenon older ones were.

To laypeople, they remember what they routinely see. My wife would have no idea what a Bronco is unless i said “the OJ car”
Old 08-30-20, 11:13 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm 38 too but I've been into cars all my life. My first memories of Mustangs are the Fox Body ones.

Seemed like everyone in my neighborhood had one when I was a kid. I don't remember the crappy early 80's ones.

Old 08-30-20, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I'm 38 too but I've been into cars all my life. My first memories of Mustangs are the Fox Body ones.

Seemed like everyone in my neighborhood had one when I was a kid. I don't remember the crappy early 80's ones.

LOL. Trust me.....You don't want to remember the 1980s Mustangs...although an argument can be made that the mid-70s Mustang II, a re-bodied Pinto where even the Cobra version could barely get out of its own way, was perhaps even worse.
Old 08-30-20, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

To laypeople, they remember what they routinely see. My wife would have no idea what a Bronco is unless i said “the OJ car”
That association with OJ is probably set to change as soon as all the 2021 Broncos that have already been pre-ordered actually are produced and hit the streets. Although with a retro-body, it is going to be a new classic, based on what it can offer today....and its primary competitor won't be the Blazer like it was 25 years ago, but the Jeep Wrangler.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-30-20 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-30-20, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That association isn’t going to change for people who lived through that. For younger generations sure, they have no idea who OJ is.
Old 08-30-20, 04:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think if you tel people that "I drive a Porsche" majority will think you drive a 911
i agree.

Originally Posted by LH1
Not having the Mustang in your top 3 iconic Ford models is weird. Mustang, F-150 and Bronco for me.
agreed, although explorer i'd say is even more iconic than bronco.

As far as the Panamera goes, I've always had mixed feelings. The design is just awkward. I remember Jeremy Clarkson compared it to some weird English station wagon thing.
i assume clarkson was referring to a jensen interceptor or rover 3500.

Old 08-30-20, 07:12 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

So, I asked my wife. 38, not a car person at all. No discussion about this at all.

“When I say Ford what vehicle do you think of?” Her response was “Truck” (F150)

”When I say Porsche what vehicle do you think of” her response was “Cayenne” (I was impressed she knew the name of the model)

THATS my point. When I asked her about the Mustang or the 911 she said she never would have thought of either of them.
I asked my wife about Ford and she said Explorer. Obviously anecdotal but kind of fun just to see what she says. For me it would be Mustangs since they were pretty big around here in the late 80’s/early 90’s and I lived a couple miles from a drag strip.
Old 08-30-20, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I betcha, ask people you know that aren’t car people and see what they say. What they say will surprise you!
Old 08-30-20, 09:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That association isn’t going to change for people who lived through that. For younger generations sure, they have no idea who OJ is.

I lived through the OJ-Bronco days, and couldn't care less. In fact, I had all but forgotten the association (and the police-chase through the L.A. streets) until some other posters brought it back up.

Quick Reply: Porsche unveils updated 2021 Panamera