Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Steering Weight

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 06:57 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Thanks to all for your feedback. Any NX or GS owners, I’d love to hear your thoughts.
I had the ES and then GS. I believe I made a mistake by getting the ES because the GS was a lot funner and sportier to drive. The GS was built like a tank where as the ES felt more like a Toyota. No offense to ES owners.
Old 08-27-20, 07:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I had the ES and then GS. I believe I made a mistake by getting the ES because the GS was a lot funner and sportier to drive. The GS was built like a tank where as the ES felt more like a Toyota. No offense to ES owners.
The ES is a luxury cruiser and the GS is a sports sedan. It should have better steering.
Old 08-27-20, 07:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Thanks to all for your feedback. Any NX or GS owners, I’d love to hear your thoughts.
I had a GS, steering is much heavier than the ES.
Old 08-28-20, 05:11 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

As much as it pains me to say it, yes. The last-gen ES just didn't have the solidity you might want in a Lexus - over bumps, it just felt a little floppy. The current-generation ES is much better in this regard though, especially in terms of ride quality. They really managed to maintain the same level of softness while keeping the suspension less floaty.
Old 08-28-20, 07:23 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like the GS should also be on my radar. Thanks again for the comments.
Old 08-31-20, 06:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The latest gen RWD based models - RC, GS, LC, IS and LS all have heavier steering than previous versions. If you want heavier steering than that then BMW is your answer 😀
MB has lighter steering than Lexus.
Old 08-31-20, 06:31 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
MB has lighter steering than Lexus.
Depends on the model
Old 09-01-20, 06:28 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

The GX has quite stiff steering to it, or maybe I'm just getting weak from the quarantine.
Old 09-01-20, 08:46 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Depends on the model
Says the AMG GT 4-door owner.

Yeah Lexus is remarkably consistent in their overall steering feel. Even if some models are lighter-feeling than others, somehow they all seem to respond similarly. That's even down to the brakes, too. Whereas, if I drive a Toyota Corolla and a Camry, they feel nothing alike.

Steering is hard to get right with EPAS, methinks. The only cars with EPAS that I have thought had truly "great" steering were the Macan and the Camaro SS. Just awesome - heavy enough without feeling labored, and good loading in the corners. Helps that they had smaller-diameter steering wheels. I thought the XF I drove felt a little on the artificially-heavy side, and while I do like my GTI's steering overall, it does have a very noticeable switch from slow to fast when you get off-center a bit thanks to the variable ratio rack. I will say the Lexus IS I had before had very natural feeling steering, but it was pretty numb. Not as numb as, say, an F30 BMW, but had less feel than even my GTI does.
Old 09-01-20, 08:50 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
LOL. Got me.
Old 09-01-20, 09:55 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

I have a 2016 GS and NX, both non-F Sport. The NX is far stiffer than the GS but the GS has a more buttery smooth feel. The weight and feedback improved on the GS after switching to Michelin PS4S tires.

Prior, my wife had an ES from 2007 and that could be steered with a finger. There wasn't a hint of sport in that car and that's what I loved most about it.
Old 09-01-20, 01:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Steering on the S560 is lighter than my LS460 for sure.
Old 09-01-20, 02:02 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Steering on the S560 is lighter than my LS460 for sure.
It's interesting, I don't find moderately heavy steering to seem totally out of place in bigger sedans. I think the Hyundai Genesis was a good example of that. The steering wasn't overly light, which had the effect of making it feel like I was making something happen when I turned the wheel. I really thought the steering was well-sorted in that car. Now, really light steering can be effortless and nice to have if done right. Like in, say, the newer ES. It's still light, not quite one-finger light, but light enough that turning into a parking space doesn't require any real effort unlike many of the sportier cars I've driven.
Old 09-01-20, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't say the steering in my LS460 is TOO heavy, its just not turn it with your pinky light at low speeds like the LS430 and LS400 were.
Old 09-01-20, 05:46 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07

Yeah Lexus is remarkably consistent in their overall steering feel. Even if some models are lighter-feeling than others, somehow they all seem to respond similarly. That's even down to the brakes, too. Whereas, if I drive a Toyota Corolla and a Camry, they feel nothing alike.

Steering is hard to get right with EPAS, methinks. The only cars with EPAS that I have thought had truly "great" steering were the Macan and the Camaro SS. Just awesome - heavy enough without feeling labored, and good loading in the corners. Helps that they had smaller-diameter steering wheels. I thought the XF I drove felt a little on the artificially-heavy side, and while I do like my GTI's steering overall, it does have a very noticeable switch from slow to fast when you get off-center a bit thanks to the variable ratio rack. I will say the Lexus IS I had before had very natural feeling steering, but it was pretty numb. Not as numb as, say, an F30 BMW, but had less feel than even my GTI does.
Funny enough, I am trying to replace a Macan with another Lexus. That’s why trying not to lose much in the steering department is important.

Make sure you check out the Mustang’s steering- very impressive. I have wanted to try a Camaro when on vacation but my wife never packs light enough for our luggage to fit in that trunk!

Quick Reply: Lexus Steering Weight